It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Riots already happening

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Food Riots already happening

www.blacklistednews.com

AMMAN, Jordan — Even as it enriches Arab rulers, the recent oil-price boom is helping to fuel an extraordinary rise in the cost of food and other basic goods that is squeezing this region’s middle class and setting off strikes, demonstrations and occasional riots from Morocco to the Persian Gulf.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Middle Class May Be Subject To Food Rations, Warns UN

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It has begun. You might say it doesn't matter as it is not in the US. But do not rush to such conclusions as we may see days of the Great Depression before we know it. Just a follow up to the food rations from the UN.
This story for those who do not wish to read through the entire "UN rations" thread.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Starvation. Maybe that's our Twilight Zone ending. So worried about nukes and alien's from another world nuking us, and here we die because of a lack of food.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I agree, but be careful. Many on here would argue that all of those are inter-related some way or another. I guess everything boils down to who really has control....elite, aliens, government, etc.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Another good find palehorse!

And I just read where WORLD wheat supplies are the lowest they've been in FIFTY years...Tell me that is not going to have an impact on us. The food situation is a looming worldwide pandemic.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hey DD. Things seem to be adding up quicker than ever. What the heck is going on? I do not think we will know until it is too late. Pretty scary stuff when you read between the lines.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Starvation. Maybe that's our Twilight Zone ending. So worried about nukes and alien's from another world nuking us, and here we die because of a lack of food.

It would happen within a couple weeks. Easily. Take everyone who 'matters' to the government, put them in deep underground bases, and let everyone else starve. Within 2 weeks the population is rapidly approaching 0.

Some people imagine we can hunt and gather our way into near-survival, maybe a handful of us. They forget what millions of people stampeding into natural environments would do. They also forget that billions more are nowhere near natural resources. (Hence why we are hearing about this happening in the Middle East as opposed to South America.)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Indeed-Something HUGE is getting ready to take place...The wars and animosity all over the globe, the financial tsunami's, the food and housing crisis'....It all seems to be escalating at a furious pace over the past year.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Then you have biofuel issue. We just witnessed the first flight of an airline using bio fuel.
Do you think that this will just make this issue worse?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Better star stashing some more supplies as I dont want to see my family starve.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Some people imagine we can hunt and gather our way into near-survival, maybe a handful of us. They forget what millions of people stampeding into natural environments would do. They also forget that billions more are nowhere near natural resources.

that is always a question that I asked myself. "Where in the hell will everyone run too?" Masses of people just trampling through the woods? That isn't going to work. And as you stated...I would say more people do not know how to fend for themselves than do. It sure will be a very quick demise for most.

searching for the Truth:
Biofuel isn't a good idea, IMO. We can't use our food for fuel. Just not a good decision. I think it will definitely add to the problem in the long run.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Well I would say to come to Ohio and enjoy a land of plenty but that was a few years ago. Food Riots and a destroyed ecosystem from people tramping through the woods and over fishing streams are only a short time away.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Don't forget... that once we reach the point of total fatigue, we'll start resorting to extreme ways of feeding ourselves and families. I don't necessarily mean eating eachother, but there will definately be killing done in the name of food.

Crossing my fingers this will never happen. :S

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
Then you have biofuel issue. We just witnessed the first flight of an airline using bio fuel.
Do you think that this will just make this issue worse?

Bio fuel, if it's adopted in a big way, would push the price of grains through the roof. Grains are also used for animal food as well remember so the cost of most foods would go up.

Also huge amounts of land would have to be put aside. But baring in mind we don't use our land very wisely in the first place that just seems typical. Personally I think Bio fuel is just a bone the Oil companies have thrown the masses - something doomed from the start so we would just resign ourselves to oil in the long run.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
So how does the world lack of food affect the US that does not have that problem? The Majority of Africa has been starving for many decades, and so many countries like India, China, North Korea, many smaller Far East nations continue to have huge issues in feeding their overpopulated masses. We all know a rather big reason for this is a mixture of just too many people and the extremes between the haves and the haves not that create these problems.

Since the EU is actually greater than the US by about 1 trillion Dollar GNP and 175 million people I think it is a good time for them to step up and take care of these situations.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just had thought... If you take your average trip to McDonalds for two people, and take the money you would spend (Big Mac value meal £3.29 so £6.58) how long would you live on basic rations in various parts of the world?

I fairly sure I could get a weeks very basic supplies here in the UK, so long as I drink tap water and most importantly not smoke! £6.58 is quite a bit of cash, if that's all you got to live on.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
They also forget that billions more are nowhere near natural resources. (Hence why we are hearing about this happening in the Middle East as opposed to South America.)

In the Americas I do not see us as over populated as so many other parts of the world is. The changes in the last 100 years has drastically changed the rain fall in many areas that we see 100s of millions living in areas that are just not that livable.

The US and other advance countries would be hardest hit if we all ended up reverting to a more basic way of survival. I lived in somewhat modern parts of the world where they still eat at a basic level. As example the live chicken you see in the morning is lunch. The live pig is taken to the butcher and then to the baker if cooked whole, and all the cooking at home is done over a wood stove outside away from the house in a cooking hut. This also is where each house has its own water tank.

As you can see this type of living would have a much less impact on it than many other countries. The US is still the largest producer in foods and there is still a lot of empty lands across it that gives the US a rather big advantage over so many other countries. These countries would be in serious trouble with just a hiccup in supplies to their population who have no where to go and no other way to grow or get food, but through supply lines.

[edit on 26-2-2008 by Xtrozero]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I fairly sure I could get a weeks very basic supplies here in the UK, so long as I drink tap water and most importantly not smoke! £6.58 is quite a bit of cash, if that's all you got to live on.

I think the issue would be how long should one plan for, info on how long can you keep the many types of foods is very important. Foods such as can tuna that here in the US we can get as a cheap source of protein and other foods such as rice and dried foods are some examples of what I’m talking about.

The problem with billions around the world is they spend much of the day just getting the food for just that day and they do not have the means to build up hardly anything. Where someone like me in the US I can easily stock up a year supply and start to grow my own foods, but then even that would reach some end. The knowledge that is lost among us as to how our ancestors did it all would be very valuable for at some point there might be the situation that we would need to become totally self sufficient.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Eat the Rich!!

4-8-08

Hungry mob attacks Haiti palace

"We are hungry," they shouted before attempting to smash open the palace gates.
In recent months, it has become common among Haiti's poor to use the expression "grangou klowox" or "eating bleach", to describe the daily hunger pains people face, because of the burning feeling in their stomachs.

The protesters demanded the resignation of President Rene Preval, who came to power two years ago promising to restore peace to a country torn apart by fighting between rival armed gangs.
news.bbc.co.uk...

4-9-08

Zimbabwe faces starvation as mobs rampage through farms

Just as Tommy Miller was milking his Friesian herd early yesterday morning, the mob stormed into Dunluce Farm. Armed with sticks, stones and a shotgun, they ordered him to stop. He refused. The cows had to be milked or they would become ill. “This is the law,” replied their dreadlocked leader, brandishing his baton. “You must throw the milk on the ground.”
Reports flooding into farmers’ unions in Harare yesterday told of the wilful destruction of farm equipment, produce and buildings as part of an alleged “popular uprising” by government-backed mobs in the name of getting the land back for the black population. Agriculturalists fear that the country could run out of food within weeks as the farm invasions stop the maize harvest in mid-flow and threaten the future of wheat crops with only four weeks left for planting.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

It's bad enough with the global food situation without people willfully adding to the downfall. However, it could just be part of the orchestration of it all... I certainly wouldn't put it past any Gov't at this point to order militias/groups to do this)

4-8-08

Recipe for Catastrophe: Climate, Fuel, and Food

Food prices rising across the world

This didn’t start with the current economic crisis which comes with the so-called “mortgage crisis.” It doesn’t start with the recent sky rocketing increase in oil and gasoline. It started with the U.S. turn to bio-fuels production. It has been accelerated by multiple other issues.
The U.S. bio-fuels incentives put not just the U.S. food supply, but the global food supply, in competition with the fuel supply. Farmers (and corporate agriculture) in the U.S. took much of the corn crop to the refinery rather than to the food processing plants. Most of the food price increases seen in the U.S up until about a month ago were due solely to this shift.

Thanks Al Gore! (As noted above, just all part of the scheme).

Link to 3rd story is below -- I forgot it -- thax Dragon!

[edit on 4/9/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Good find, and I thought I would add this:

Food riots turn deadly in Haiti. Food riots fear after rice price hits a high. And so it starts. Globally there has been roughly a 25% increase in food prices. In some areas - such as Haiti - food prices have increased almost 50% in the last year. The poor of the planet who always live on the razor’s edge of survival, are getting hit by multiple blows aimed directly at the food supply.

From subsistence farmers eating rice in Ecuador to gourmets feasting on escargot in France, consumers worldwide face rising food prices in what analysts call a perfect storm of conditions. Freak weather is a factor. But so are dramatic changes in the global economy, including higher oil prices, lower food reserves and growing consumer demand in China and India.

The world’s poorest nations still harbor the greatest hunger risk. Clashes over bread in Egypt killed at least two people last week, and similar food riots broke out in Burkina Faso and Cameroon this month.
Recipe for Catastrophe: Climate, Fuel, and Food

Weather problems, viruses affecting grain, these riots are only the beginning.

We are just starting to see the effects of higher oil prises mixed with climate change. Six billion mouths to feed are alot of mouths!!

[edit on 9-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join