It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My bigfoot sighting this afternoon...maybe.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Interesting story you related. From the possible visual, the other indicators, including the knocking, I'd give anything to have a go at it.

I always see "nightshot" cameras used, and I always wondered if this is an animal, if this particular part of the light spectrum is also visible by these creatures. I have my suspicions, as no one ever seems to be able to locate these things with the "nightshot" activated.

In my business, we use thermal cameras, and I always thought that would be the method that would be indicative without being intrusive.

Just out of curiosity, I've reviewed a number of reports, and am surprised by the number of locations that are approached that have women present.

It also seems they enjoy venison. They are curious about anything out of the ordinary, and they appear to be very protective about "intrusions" into their areas. Somewhat "territorial."

The wood knocking is a very effective method of communication over long distances in mountains and forests. The knocking carries over long distances, and of course, it's a natural thing to use as one can always find wood to knock.

So far, every group hunting these things remind me of Keystone Kops.

They're loud, noisy, they talk too much, they set up "traps" along HUMAN natural lines of expectation, and don't consider that these things may not prefer the easy approaches.

I've yet to see a serious hunter use still-hunting techniques, answering knocking, night-viewing with thermal imaging, human female scents, a hind-quarter or two of venison, and reverse-spoke camera traps.

The farmer is wise. I'd go with nothing less than a .44 magnum, and preferably a .12 guage with slugs. Those big animals, just in case they decide to get aggressive, all require some serious foot-pounds of energy to stop.

And the other pattern I've seen is that these things are deceptively fast. Unbelievably fast.

Do have fun, and do take care.

If you're serious about your hunt, then a true hunter mindset is going to be required. Walking around like a bunch of birdwatchers is not going to get it done.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Just out of curiosity, I've reviewed a number of reports, and am surprised by the number of locations that are approached that have women present.
It also seems they enjoy venison. They are curious about anything out of the ordinary, and they appear to be very protective about "intrusions" into their areas. Somewhat "territorial."
, they set up "traps" along HUMAN natural lines of expectation, and don't consider that these things may not prefer the easy approaches.

I find all your post interesting.
I haven't heard about using a human female scent attractant in Bf searches.

Yes, a big venison piece. As an old hunter related to me, his entire elk carcass was taken from hanging high in a tree, in an area of bigfoot Native lore. And his camper was banged on loudly that trip.

Bigfoot are sometimes seen walking along a rode (hwy or logging), much like a bear might walk along a road, rather than merely crossing one. Don't know if this is just out of "laziness", or ease, for bf or bear to travel. Anyway, yes, what IS the preferred path/route for a Bf?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here are the coordinates that can be used to find the general area. On google earth, or in a basic atlas...

46 degrees 2'55.20" N
118 degrees 02'26.83 W

It's some rugged terrain.

Sasquatch has always been portrayed as dangerous, not evil, but as something best left alone...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Great. That helps a lot.

+46° 2' 55.20", -118° 02' 26.83" is what you enter into GE.

Here's a terrain map:

Looks like a perfect location.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Much obliged for the screen capture...

I'm still not good at doing that sort of stuff...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

NP. If you go to google maps and enter that set of coordinates you can zoom in and out and see that this is a good location for a prospective 'tribe' of BF leading up into the mountains into some pretty good wilderness.

In addition, the location of that farm is a convenient portal to those in the group wanting to come down to the lower elevations to hunt and fish.

You can paste this (+46° 2' 55.20", -118° 02' 26.83") directly into google maps or go to this link:

Google Maps Coords

Be sure and click the terrain button (upper right corner) and zoom out a bit more to get a good overview.

(PS, thank YOU! (grin) )

Here's a zoom out to save you time, illustrating the way it provides cover yet access to the rivers.

[edit on 17/2/2009 by Syandos]

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, my question has been answered...

I drove up to Blacksnake Ridge Rd. to see if it was passable, it is/was...not that it matters... as I said my question has been answered.

I was driving down one of the connecting roads on my way back to town when I saw it, standing between the trees watching the road...it probably heard my car coming and stopped to watch... It was about 45 to 50 feet off the road, and about 70 to 75 from me.

We locked eyes for, I'm guessing here, 25 to 30 seconds (it felt longer). In that time, it scared me right down to my toes. I went from a relatively sophisticated modern human, to a scared primitive starting at shadows in the night. If this is what our ancestors feared out in the night beyond the firelight, I understand now, more than I ever thought I would.

It's intelligent, scarily so...at least on a par with us. Native Americans have always said Sasquatch is something better left alone...not evil, just very, very dangerous and angry.

My search is over. My question answered to my satisfaction. I just never envisioned the effect it would have on me. My world just expanded immeasurably...and I'm not entirely sure I like it...

Sorry if this is a bit sketchy...I'm still trying to process this. ...and, of course, you may believe or not, as you choose.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
As some of you may already know Seagull is my brother and I've known him all his life. I can tell you when he came home this afternoon he was more shaken then I've ever seen him.

Whatever he saw and if he says he saw Bigfoot then I believe him, shook him to the depths of his soul. He described it as a deep visceral fear and an instinctive knowledge of danger. My brother backs down to nothing; I know of nobody who has more courage; both physical and moral then him. If he reacts like this; then I want nothing to do with it; it's far more then I can deal with.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
seagull, congratulations. Thank you for continuing this thread.

Personally, even though I would like to think that I would like to see a Bigfoot, I know I really would be terrified, to the point of having the encounter burned in my mind.

To view a creature of such size and power would be a life altering event, especially when you are witness to something other people say doesn't exist.

Take and savor the time to digest your encounter.
Again, thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well I've had the better part of a month to digest what I saw on that hillside...

As I said, I went from a fairly sophisticated 21st century human being, to a frightened cave dwelling primitive in the span of 30 seconds or probably less...

The only word I can really come up with here is...Dangerous, very, very dangerous, another word to use is smart, really smart. Actually smart isn't the right word, cunning, that's the word. Cunning I think is what makes this guy so dangerous.

Now remember this, those of you who would hunt this creature, every people that have stories of Sasquatch, or Yeti, all will tell you it's not an evil creature, but it's one that should be treated with great respect. It want only to be left alone

It's not a mystical creature. Though given it's effect on me, it's understandable where the mystic angle originates
. In all my time in the woods, I've been concerned, even a little afraid, of animals that I've encountered, bears, a puma once, and a moose in Alaska a time or two...I've never had a creature effect me like this.

This encounter effected me at a primal level, I'll never look at the Forest the same way again...'cause now, I'll always wonder if someone/something is looking back.

[edit on 4/25/2009 by seagull]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I know exactly how you are feeling my friend, I too have seen a Bigfoot. I wasn't out looking for it though.

I was driving home from Jonesboro, Arkansas to my home in Fayetteville and I was in the Ozark National Forest. I was the only car on the road so my lights were on bright, as it was late at night There was a clearing of maybe 15 or 20 feet between where the edge of the highway stopped and the forest began.

I saw what I thought was a tree right beside the road, but then that tree turned around and walked back into the forest in just a few steps. It was a Bigfoot.

It scared me in a way I've never been scared before. A deep primal fear of flight, fight wasn't even considered an option. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor and made that little hoopie go as fast as it could. I kept looking in the rear view mirror to make sure it wasn't chasing me. I kept the gas pedal to the floor and it's a good thing that piece of crap topped out at 80 MPH or I probably would have wrapped it around a tree.

I didn't let off the gas till I got inside the lights of the next town.

Nothing has EVER scared me like that, and I really don't know why. It did not threaten me or make a move in my direction. Just seeing it was enough to touch off something deep inside.

I'll never go on a Bigfoot hunt. Seeing it once was enough for me. I'm leaving the darn things alone.

wupy

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

These things are a real curiosity. When I was walking in the jungles of Southeast Asia, we saw creatures, bugs, and flying things I know damned well no one knows exists.

Lately, a few new species have been found there and identified. New species are always being found, and the idea that nothing this large could go undetected is some really arrogant whiffle dust.

When I read stories and reports of these things, I just naturally try to see if there are any patterns in their behavior. Maybe one day if I can retire, I'll put all the notes together, and give it a whirl. After all, the worst thing would be spending some quality time in the great outdoors.

Your impression of something powerful and unnerving is one of those commonalities. Anytime your hair is standing up, even if you can't see what's causing it, it's a real good idea to MOVE.

Of course it would be interesting if all the local farmers (farmers are the most independent thinking group of individuals in existence) were to cooperate out of a mutual curiosity, and when they note something out of the ordinary, to maybe give you a call. Thus, patterns may be established, which could lead to some interesting possibilities.

As long as they were assured that everything would just stay within the small group, they may be willing to participate.

Farmers have eyes and ears like cats. They note changes on their properties, they note movements, and they note signs of passage. They KNOW their land.

Besides, it would be a good thing to know if a large bipedal was traversing their lands. No one likes surprises.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

One of the odd things about this incident is this: All the time I've spent looking for it? Nothing, in big fat quivering Nothing...the one time I expect to see nothing? Blam...there it is.

Total accident...on both our parts, I guess.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Great thread, there have been a couple sightings near a local lake in my area, which is also heavily wooded. Its funny what someone mentioned above about female human scents, because the close sighting was indeed a woman. The second (less than 20 miles away) was a man driving.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Try and find some samples for DNA analysis. I've always wondered why someone hasn't found droppings, hair, or something they could test in a lab.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the report seagull.

I too had a similar encounter in Washington State in a remote area up in the North Cascades. I'm not going to post the coordinates at this point, but I'd be happy to tell the OP if interested.

Like you, I went back a few times and every time I was in the area I felt as if I was being watched/stalked.

I felt the advantage he had over me was like the advantage I would have over a burglar that stumbled into my house. He knew the layout and he had all the blinds & exits.

For those interested in an encounter I think you pretty much have to go in alone and unarmed. If you're afraid of wildlife such as bears and cougars without being armed then you don't belong up there. The areas are places that are not easily accessible most of the year due to snow pack and steep non-friendly terrain away from the beaten paths used by summer recreationists such as hikers, hunters & climbers.

Oh yeah, and the biggest thing seems to be that they have to be near lots of water. Maybe they use the sounds of the water to mask their movements or maybe they just need to drink allot, I dunno. I even considered that they are horticulturalists that grow their food/blinds/camouflage and divert streams to take out logging roads and such to keep people away.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Just from the many stories over the centuries I've read about, the likelihood of seeing one is of course, by penetrating or intruding on their territory.

They apparently don't like that, and will knock wood, I assume to solicit others, and will throw rocks, scream, and make noise to drive intruders off.

Likewise, they have to eat. There are numerous reports of them stealing venison. In Okalahoma, they would even steal frozen venison hind quarters from a freezer on the back porch.

The third commonality is the presence of women. Whether curious, they feel less threatened, or are attracted by the odor, they do the approaching when women are present.

They are reported to eat roots and vegetation that is full of moisture that naturally grows on the banks of lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers. In addition, in many water sources, small crayfish, and even mussels are present.

Reports indicate an unbelievable strength, and usually we equate that with being slow. But reports indicate that they have short bursts of speed, enough to knock down a deer, and that's fast!

Apparently, they can be killed, but if someone is of a mind to shoot one, you better have a large bore and lots of power behind it. Of course, anything can be killed, but as fast and as strong as they are, if you shoot one, you better make damned certain that you killed it, or make sure you're clean out of the territory by dark.

Different animals have different levels of hearing, and even different eyes which take in more of the light spectrum. Some have uncanny night vision, whereas we aren't that good. This is why I think those with Nightshot, and similar cameras maybe haven't caught one. If they can detect portions of the infrared, then these cameras would appear to them like a spotlight.

Thermal cameras are passive, and only detect heat.

So if you're going to hunt one, bring a woman, or even better, two. Bring and hang venison or periodically leave hanging venison in place for weeks or months before you intend to hunt the spot. Don't use IR cameras, for safety's sake, have a big bore, and remember that they can likely outrun a deer in sprints.

I can also see "salting" an area with apples, or the like, using water balloon launchers to keep from having to enter the impact area and thus upset the local scent mix. After launching on the same day of the week for months, you'll likely find that they know exactly what day of the week to expect the next food batch.

These things are canny. They communicate, they are masters of hiding in spite of their size, and they can break you in half.

Good things to know.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Oh yeah, and the biggest thing seems to be that they have to be near lots of water. Maybe they use the sounds of the water to mask their movements or maybe they just need to drink allot, I dunno. I even considered that they are horticulturalists that grow their food/blinds/camouflage and divert streams to take out logging roads and such to keep people away.

You may be onto something here. Water figures prominently in most of the sightings. The area where I had this sightings is one of the more heavily watered, so we're agreed there. The horticulture aspect, I hadn't even considered that...Though that may be giving them more credit then is warrented...on the other hand, given my impressions of the guy; you might have something here, too... It's something to ponder, anyway.

That stalking feeling? That's something I've felt on a number of occasions when out in the wild. An area you just know, deep down, that you are not welcome.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Interesting, my Grandpa who has never lied in his life for any reason told me that he had hunted a bigfoot back in 1946ish, northern california.

This was near Orville Calif. He was tracking it in his own words. Shot gun in hand he followed the tracks for a couple of miles until he finally got the feeling he had better turn around and head back.

He said that the foot prints were about 16 inches long, very wide and what got him were the imprints of bare feet. He said that he was wearing ? boots and they went down just a couple inches or less (hard to relay as he showed with his hands rather than saying feet and inches) but this foot was deep in the ground.

He also said that the footsteps were about 6 feet apart.

This is very interesting, thankyou for sharing. My Grandpa is going for surgery in the am and when he is well I will ask him more about his experience.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Give him a "get well soon" for me? I look forward to reading the tale

It's interesting that many people, myself included, have been effected on an emotional level by an encounter with Sasquatch, even in a roundabout way, such as your grandfathers.

I'm beginning to ponder the notion that there may indeed be some sort of spiritual aspect to this creature...not something I normally consider, but just maybe there's a little something to it. Maybe.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join