It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscar winner Eva Orner: US are war criminals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Oscar winner Eva Orner: US are war criminals

www.news.com.au

OSCAR winner Eva Orner has described the US Government as a "bunch of war criminals".

The Australian filmmaker won an Academy Award for best feature documentary as co-producer of Taxi to the Dark Side, a film about the US Government's use of torture in its war against terror.

The documentary features interviews with US soldiers who participated in the torture of suspects in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Cant be good for the Bush government.

At least she has the good sense not to blame the troops.

CT

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Im not saying the Bush administration does not have some things to answer for...but I have reached the point where I wish the hollywood elite would shut the hell up...

I pay to see them act/direct/sing etc...I could care less about their political stripe or their feelings on the world in general...

Too many of them think because we pay to see them pretend to be someone else, we also want to hear what they think politically...wrong!

I say to the hollywood elite, go back to pretending, it's what your good at...hell they dont even live in the same worlld we do...5k dollar dresses, million dollar jewlery...its not how 99.9% of the world lives, why should we care what they think?!?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

I can see what you mean, but I completely disagree.

These people are in very influential positions. They're in the public eye. So when they say something, people listen. Might not be the best system, but at least they're helping to get the word out and educate people.

To quote Ben Parker: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Basically, these people have the public's ear, and they are doing the right thing by using it for good.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

Im not saying the Bush administration does not have some things to answer for...but I have reached the point where I wish the hollywood elite would shut the hell up...

I hardly think Eva Orner can be considered "Hollywood Elite." I personally had never heard of her before reading this article and was suprised to learn she is Australian.

I think she is someone who saw an opportunity for her voice to be heard so she said what she thought was most important at the time.

CT

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What many seem to forget, in regards to the war on terror...You cannot wage a successful campaign against people who are not afraid to die by following the Geneva convention. This is not some conventional war between two superpowers that would half ass follow those rules.

I work with a guy who worked in the navy, his job was to find wanted terrorists in Iraq. He told me their operations, what they did, how they did it, etc... Once they found said terrorist they would then proceed to take a small recon team and either capture, or kill known terrorists, if they captured him alive, they would beat information out of him. It is quite a common practice. And I support it. Unconventional war calls for unconventional measures.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Funny but with Bush today coming out with again another braking record low in public opinion polls I can not dismiss anything and take it for granted.

History will tell what kind of president Bush has been, I hope his lack of achievements and his many failures will not be sugar coated.

He created a new wave of terrorism and gave it a new name war on terror.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well in this climate, all that's left to really do is scare the living crap out of the enemy by example.

The problem is that if they know what will happen to them if they surrender, is well they won't surrender, making it harder to steer away from collateral damage.

Why can't the insurgents just sit down, wait for the US to roll through, reform the whole nation, and when we leave just pick up and start suicide bombing when our troops are out? Why are they postponing the inevitable? I mean I don't honestly believe peace will ever be met in that area while the US has measures in there. They should just wait till the time is right, instead of popping their heads up as soon as our troops stop to reload.

It usually takes tactics and strategy to win a war.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Kudos to Eva Orner for standing up to the criminal Bush regime. The World needs more personalities like that who highlight the immoral and illegal nature of the US Governement's Foreign Policy.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Full respect for simply speaking freely her thoughts on the matter.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

amazing

and when these people - who btw are not terrorists ; they are fighting an unconventional war - were the VC terrorists? no, so stop using the buzz word of the day

anyway so when they starts putting bombs in dead us solders - to blow up the recovery team - its `ok` as they are fighting in an unconventinal manner.

pure BS hypocrasy.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My first reaction was, "who is Eva Orner and why do I care?" I have honestly never heard of her before. She, of course, has the right to say anything she wants and I am perfectly happy to ignore her. I have read several articles about how this years Academy Award Program was the least watched ever. In addition, many of the movies that were honored were not that successful at the box office. There have been a number of anti-war movies made this year that were total flops as measured by the box office.

So what does this mean? One could say that Americans in general are self centered and don't care about anyone else. Or you could say that the Hollywood elite are out of touch with the rest of America. My opinion is that I pay my ten bucks to see a movie and be entertained for 2 hours and try to forget about the world and all of its problems. When I want to return to the real world I just watch the news for free.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

Because we taught them good . You don't stop till the country is bankrupt . Looks at the whole deal with Russia/Afghanistan .

History repeats itself but in a reverse role.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I guess Eva Orner has point.

Originally posted by deadbang
I pay to see them act/direct/sing etc...I could care less about their political stripe or their feelings on the world in general...

Well then just don't care. Simple as that.

reply to post by West Coast

I worked with a guy who shovels crap for his work, and he said that somebody trying to justify war by a way or another is a complete hypocrat. When I asked what he meant, he said: "Well, you see they are always trying to justify their actions - but on the same time, they are calling enemies cowards and claiming that they are source of the problem. Don't you see, a punch of hypcrats?". Well, I believed him, for he shovels crap so well.

[edit on 26-2-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't think the Iraqis could keep this going for 10 years, at least not before we start to really kick things into high gear.

Also there will be a change in administration at least once while the conflict is proceeding, the Soviet Union has a different system of republic than the US.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
She's welcome to her opinion, but quite honestly, I value her opinion of international affairs (and that of the entertainment industry, in general) about as much as I'd value George W. Bush's opinion on the entertainment industry.

new topics

top topics

join