It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Change Faiths at Rising Rate, Report Finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Americans Change Faiths at Rising Rate, Report Finds

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — More than a quarter of adult Americans have left the faith of their childhood to join another religion or no religion, according to a new survey of religious affiliation by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

Shifting Religions The report, titled “U.S. Religious Landscape Survey,” depicts a highly fluid and diverse national religious life. If shifts among Protestant denominations are included, then it appears that 44 percent o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I do not find this as alarming as other may, because as children most American's were subjected into the religion of their parent, and this being a free-country where we do not have to be of one religion, being able to not have to believe in something forced down your throat is only inevitable.

I myself have strayed from my agape news, hardcore christian parents. Although they have good intentions, I believe that they are a bit too right winged for me.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
i believe that people are looking more of answers of self sufficiency than faith to get them though life. I do not have a problem with religion or religious people. And while i do believe there is something out there, i do not believe what i read in "the book" cause there is several pieces missing. also throw in the fact that most of that book is written by people with a limited knowledge of how tings work and you run into "beliefs" again. For instance, solar eclipses used to be thought of as angering the gods. yet we have a theory for that now. Also throw in the fact that maybe god does exist... who is he or any of us to determine what is right or wrong. And then add all the wars "in his name" or " for his cause" and you see how religion has been pushed upon us (for reasons i will not get into).

So for those of you who say i am going to hell, remember hell will only last as long as you let it hurt or fear it. I go though life understanding that i may die at any day or any moment. but i do not live a certain way so i can have a reward (eternal life..yay roll eyes)

one last thing in the big book is you can repent at the gates....so why worry about it now. do what you feel is right ( for instance watching your kids suffer though hard times teaches them to deal with problems, while solving it for them teaches them to be dependant). what do you think i want for my kids.

I also do teach my kids about god... but not as a savior or lover of humanity, but as a subject that can not be proven or unproven. Am i wrong? or are you? until you can answer that statement with facts (no oppinions) please expect a modest "meh" from me or others who are starting to see things outside of the fear induced state caused by the organized church.

and more question for religios people... why was it ok for god to kill so many people in the great flood... yet i do not have that right being made in the image of god?

enjoy

join