It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM To Build Computer to Run the Entire Internet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The internet is a form of global awareness it's a great and wonderfull thing it connect's us as a human race.

I think the one's in power realise this is there biggest downfall there greatest weakness. And have decided to create (wink wink) but in reality release this technology to squash this awareness.

Anyone thinking this is anything esle than that should maybe think again.

Why fix something that is not broken ?

Let's hope thing's change soon.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 27-2-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
'Run the entire internet as an application'?

How is that even possible?

And how is it a 'better' solution than the multi platform, 'cellular' grid approach often taken now?

I mean in like 2004, 2048 Mac G5s networked in a grid cluster, was the 6th fastest 'supercomputer' in the world*.

I mean maybe it is possible, what they describe, but why? How is that a benefit to society as a whole? Trying to put a stranglehold on the internet, good for society....

Just seems a bit off...
DocMoreau

*-VT G5 Xserve supercomputer benchmarks now available

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Every time I see a title like this, I think single point of failure.

The next thought that pops into my head is bottleneck.

Take note, this is the only time Im going to agree with you and star your post.

To me it sounds like a perfect way to screw up the entire internet with one easy mistake or another. Now if somebody screws something up at this new supercomputer, everyone loses the internet, rather than just certain people or a certain area. Personally, that idea scares me. Imagine if everyone were cut off from "the internet". Set us back decades for the time it is down.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Exactly you should see the internet as an entity in itself.

It is slowly evolving over time i dont think anyone will take this on infact i know they wont.

Why would a certain country allow another country to control it's network's.

You would need to be plainly insane to accept something of this nature dont allow it.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 27-2-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is not even close to skynet, this mentioned nothing of AI. This is a beefed up university application hosting server. Its not going to host the entire internet customer base or all the documents on it. It simply going to be able to oursource its processing capibilities.

Wikinews as a source?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Any one know if that thing still going on, internet 2 , internet 1?
Maybe they want to build another internet.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
You know, if they succeed in doing this, I'm going to be more interested in what the other IT people will do with networking. Will they be able to pioneer their own version of a community network? Will an underground internet break out as a more popular "brand"? It will truly be interesting to see.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

I think you're referring to IPV6. Yes, it is definitely active.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

"Internet2" is just a brand name for a dedicated super-fast network used by Academia. It is nothing special, really, just a dedicated high bandwidth service provided at cost. It still uses the same equipment etc that is used today, it's just a private network for boffins to swap GB of data about moon dust and pink jellyfish...

IPv6, as mentioned above, is something different and is the next generation in IP technology.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It makes you wonder what the next step in the evolution of global-consciousness will bring though.

The internet is truely growing exponentially faster than all control mechanisms which have been instantiated to slow its pace.

Some would say thats its growth pattern resembles a living entity all of its own.

The WWW is beginning to resemble the great mind of a globally connected society. Developing collective information like neural pathways similar to the human mind. Sure wikipedia is full of mis/disinfo but so are our heads!!

I can't imagine what may come next, but im excited!!

[edit on 3/10/2008 by Choronzon]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join