It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will the Presidential nominees choose as VP's?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

I still say it's a safe bet he'll run for POTUS. I figure it's probably a couple more election cycles off but, for this thread topic, I like him as my speculative wild card republican VP pick. Of course, my Powell pick is probably just as unrealistic but, it would certainly make the race more interesting. For the dems, I think an Obama/Biden ticket would make us unbeatable ... but, Biden may be a long shot as well.

I’m not sure Jeb has the “fire in the belly” for the job. Being governor is OK but not nearly as hard as being president. And after this unique 2 years long race, I’m not sure anybody can do it again. Of course, you do get to split a $3 T. pot every year. The candidates - especially the Dems - will be worn out physically, mentally and emotionally before the race begins officially on September 5. Then it is 2 full months to go full steam! I don’t see how we can ever ask anyone to do that again. It's crazy!

Jeb's power base in FL will be long gone by 2012 and his name forgotten by 2016. FL has 18 million people now and is projected to have 25 million by 2020. Provided the water holds out. Jeb’s popularity made it possible for his successor to “coast” to an easy win. But in politics, it is “What have you done for me today?” And, there are still more voters registering as Dems than GOPs.

Aside: Yes, FL is in a serious WATER shortage about to happen crisis. Orlando has but 4 years of water left, based on the current growth rate. Already Orlando is attempting to “slick” us in Jax out of the St Johns River water at the rate of 400 million gallons per day. Our city council just voted last week to pay for a large law suit to block Orlando (and Central Florida). But the St Johns is already "sick" from agricultural run-off. Cities up north like Jax get 100% of their water from deep wells. And that source is beginning to show dangerous signs of salt water intrusion. Instead of Bush43's hydrogen cars, we need sea water desalination plants NOW.

If we don’t get a Obama/Clinton ticket - I don’t think she’ll take No.2 - then I agree Senator Joe Biden is a good choice. He is at least as old as McCain so that might turn out to be an advantage with the seniors. Of course, if it was up to me there is no one like Bill Richardson - change his name to Ricardo - as far as I’m concerned. Let’s do it all the way! Let’s do it right!

[edit on 3/3/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

Please God no more Bushes

Amen to that, brother! I just always get that [POTUS] feeling when I see him talk. I believe you (and others) may be underestimating him and that Bush-family-political-machine. Jeb's a charismatic, likeable fellow and a bit atypical wrt to republicans. I wouldn't count him out just yet. Jeb's son may be an up-n-comer too.

I’m not sure Jeb has the “fire in the belly” for the job. Being governor is OK but not nearly as hard as being president. And after this unique 2 years long race, I’m not sure anybody can do it again. Of course, you do get to split a $3 T. pot every year. The candidates - especially the Dems - will be worn out physically, mentally and emotionally before the race begins officially on September 5. Then it is 2 full months to go full steam! I don’t see how we can ever ask anyone to do that again. It's crazy!

All depends on how Obama's presidency goes (assuming he gets it). Perhaps - if his hope message is more than just rhetoric - the candidates and electorate will be invigorated. I like our chances. Sometimes. Maybe. Let's see how heavy the general election goes. I'm trying to stay optimistic, versus my usual apathy.

His power base in FL will be long gone by 2012 and his name forgotten by 2016. FL has 18 million people now and is projected to have 25 million by 2020. Provide the water holds’ out. Jeb’s popularity made it possible for his successor to “coast” to an easy win. But in politics, it is “What have you done for me today?” And, there are still more voters registering as Dems than GOPs.

Good points all. I think he ain't done just yet but, we will see.

If we don’t get a Obama/Clinton ticket - I don’t think she’ll take No.2 - then I agree Senator Joe Biden is a good choice. He is at least as old as McCain so that might turn out to be an advantage. Of course, if it was up to me there is no one like Bill Richardson - change his name to Ricardo - as far as I’m concerned. Let’s do it all the way! Let’s do it right!

Are you suggesting/preferring Richardson 'cause he'll help win the election or because he'd be a better VP than Biden? I like Biden for both personally.

PS,

I skipped the off-topic water/Florida issues but, do you have a good source wrt Orlando having only four years of water left? Although I'm aware it's an issue (increasingly so) that's the first time I've heard that figure.

Thanks and regards, Mr. White,
-Rob

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Rren]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Who knows?

Anyone agreeing to be McCain's Veep is a fox in the hen house that wants McCain to lose, so he can run next time.

Obama almost doesn't matter, but JE would make a damn good one.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RANT

Anyone agreeing to be McCain's Veep is a fox in the hen house that wants McCain to lose, so he can run next time.

According to the Chinese Zodiac, our Year of 2008 is the "Year of the Rat" which begins on February 7, 2008 and ends on January 25, 2009. You have correctly perceived the GOP strategy. Does that mean the Huck is out? I have always figured he - the Huck - and McCain made a deal to get Mitt out. That surely means McCain agreed long ago to take the Huck on as VP.

Obama almost doesn't matter, but JE would make a damn good one.

Damaged goods. JE makes sense only if the Dems need to put the "rust belt" into play as the pundits like to say. OTOH by choosing Denver for their convention, I assume the Dems want to put the Rocky Mountain states “into play.” That strategy means NM’s Richardson would get the #2 nod.

The Dems correctly foresaw the 2000 election turned on Florida hence Jewish Joe Lieberman as VP to get the Jewish vote. Then in 2004, the Dems foresaw the election would turn on Ohio. Hence Edwards for the pro union vote in Ohio. Indeed, had Kerry carried Ohio, he would have won the majority in the Electoral College despite losing the popular vote by several millions.

But this year, Obama gets his choice of VP or not to VP if he loses to Hillary. She, OTOH, may not want to be #2 on anybody’s ticket. And as the GOP “lightning rod” whoever gets the No. 1 spot - Obama is the one - may not want her either. Would she be more likely to carry a close state or to lose it? That is what the VP must accomplish. ADD to the ticket, not take away from it.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
JE is John Edwards, right?

If so, while I do like him, I'd still prefer Biden. Wouldn't Edwards be to the left of Obama? I don't know if that's such a good move. I say Biden is more likely to bring in the undecided independents and marginal republicans. Also, with regards to the McCain hen house: what if he tells his VP pick he has no intention of running for re-election in '12 should he win. That may attract a stronger VP candidate.

Although, to be honest, I've no idea how reasonable it is to think that McCain would do that. I don't know but I can't see a ticket that has a legitimate chance of winning for the republicans. McCain may have to deal as he knows this is his last shot. Either that or the GOP has some other idea or strategy I'm just not seeing (likely.) Or, they've just decided to lay down this time and offer up McCain for a sacrifice. Unlikely?

Maybe it's just my paranoid nature but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Defeat from the jaws of victory looms.

I don't know.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

Wouldn't Edwards be to the left of Obama? I don't know if that's such a good move. I say Biden is more likely to bring in the undecided independents and marginal republicans.

You are right. Left is not good here. Right is good. Your recommendation of Biden is well advised. I see no future for JE in 2008.

With regards to the McCain hen house: what if he tells his VP pick he has no intention of running for re-election in '12 should he win. That may attract a stronger VP candidate.

You are surely correct In that observation. Don’t forget McCain’s mother is in her mid 90s and still active. Knowing that, how could you trust McCain to GIVE UP that mighty seat of power and prestige? A chance of a lifetime to mold history to your own vision. Unlikely, but then, anything is possible.

I've no idea how reasonable it is to think that McCain would do that. I don't know but I can't see a ticket that has a legitimate chance of winning for the Republicans.

Well, the only guy who came to the contest with a real intention of wining was Mitt Romney. He probably felt that because the GOP nomination had only limited value and maybe no real appeal, he could capture it easily and then make a national name for himself useful in later races, 2012 and 2016. He did (and does) envision himself as a fiscal conservative albeit not a socio-religious conservative notwithstanding his inherited Mormonism.

. . or the GOP has some other idea or strategy I'm just not seeing (likely.) Or, they've just decided to lay down this time and offer up McCain for a sacrifice.

McCain is no token candidate. McCain wanted this nomination. In part to get back at Bush43. Then, it is an honor vested only on a few men in the GOP. It would be a nice cap for a long career of public service. McCain is for real, whatever we think of his chances. I’m sure he knows of that better than we do. And, like the 2000 Missouri senate race, maybe the odds on favorite will die just before election day? A win by default, you might say.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Now that Hillary has won Texas and captured the South American vote in the process if I was Richards I wouldn't be sleeping so easily . Richards best move now seems to be to drop out of the race. The next step for Richards would be to endorse Obama and actively campaign for him.

That is Richards best chance for the VP at this stage.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Xpert?

Who's Richards?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My bad the guy correct surname is Richardson . As far as I know despite the lack of media coverage Richardson is still in the race . Since he doesn't have a chance at winning the nomination he can only angling for the VP slot.

Either that or he just disappeared into the night like Duncan Hunter.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The latter. He's done. Likes being Gov.

I know his media guy.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Now that Hillary has won Texas and captured the South American vote in the process if I was Richards I wouldn't be sleeping so easily . Richards best move now seems to be to drop out of the race. That is Richards best chance for the VP at this stage.

Actually, Bill Richardson, Gov of NM, dropped out even before Joe Biden and Chris Dodd. Hunter dropped out after Feb. 5.

Here’s the way I see it.

The RACE is ON!

Neither Hillary nor Barack will arrive in Denver with the necessary 2025 delegates to win the nomination. That puts it squarely in the hands of the Super Delegates. Those delegates are the party’s professionals. Each Democratic Member of Congress is a Super Delegate. Each Democratic governor is a Super Delegate. Each member of the DNC is a Super Delegate. They will decide who is the party’s nominee.

I take it for granted that under those circumstances, Hillary Clinton will win the No. 1 job. Because Barack has shown such widespread support across color and ethnic lines, he MUST be her choice for No. 2.

Bill Richardson will only be a likely VP choice if Obama wins the nomination and Hillary declines to rune for No. 2. In that case, I see Bill over Joe Biden because of the age and Biden is from Delaware which is a SAFE area for Dems this year, whereas Bill is from NM which was been a RED state neighborhood in the last 2 elections.

Clinton and Obama OR

Obama and Richardson

vs.

McCain and Huckabee “the Huckster” as I call him.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Don, Hillary can't win. She can't.

The SD's will not destroy the party over someone that can hire 20 staffers max when she goes back to the Senate.

It's a money game, and not how most think. Consultants across the country are burying that bitch as we speak.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
Actually, Bill Richardson, Gov of NM, dropped out even before Joe Biden and Chris Dodd. Hunter dropped out after Feb. 5.

Thanks for clearing that up.
In terms of the nobody's who entered the race to either appease there supporters or worm there way into the VP you could create a missing person list . Other Paul with his internet bubble the rest of the lesser candidates just seem to vanish from the surface of the planet .

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RANT

Hillary can't win.
She can't. The SD's will not destroy the party over someone that can hire 20 staffers max when she goes back to the Senate. It's a money game, and not how most think. Consultants across the country are burying that bitch as we speak.

Go to CNNPolitics.com and look at Hillary’s vote in Florida and Michigan where the Dem candidates were not allowed to campaign. Yes, I voted for Hillary here in Florida. Happy Day! Dem voters here were threatened with NO delegates for the Convention, yet Hillary came within 60,000 votes - 830K to 890K I think - of beating the GOP heavy campaigning do or die winner, John McCain.

Surely that electoral outcome must give some reliable indication of the strength of Hillary's base? Romney won the GOP round in MI so I don’t think any comparisons there will yield anything useful now that he’s been run out of the GOP race by the Huck. White enough, yes, but not a genuine Christian, per the Huck.

Aside: Congress has at least 38,000 employees. Many of them are allotted to Members of Congress based on the population of the constituency the Congresspersons serve. Hillary has offices in Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Lowville (northern NY), Nyack, Long Island, Westchester County, New York City and in W-DC. Without knowing, I’d guess she has 150 employees in W-DC and 300 in NY state. Look here are the states with 8 digit populations in the 2000 census: CA, 33.8; TX, 20.8; NY, 18.9; FL, 15.9; IL, 12.4; PA, 12.2; and OH, 11.3. All in millions. (Rate of growth shows FL will handily overtake NY in the 2010 census).

As prez, and as J/O has confirmed, any occupant of the WH has 3,000+ appointees to make. This includes the 68 US Attorneys. Of which more we will hear later.

IF Hillary can carry Texas, SHE CAN WIN in November! IMO.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Obama, as the odds on choice for the democratic nomination would be wise to not choose Hillary Clinton, IMHO. His best choice would be, as has been mentioned, Bill Richardson. That might help him with the Hispanic groups, and the Western US.

McCain has a plethora of choices; personally I like Colin Powell. Smart, moderate, yet the right wing of the Republicans like him...for now, lol. I don't think he could do wrong concidering someone outside the Republican mainstream, or outside the party period. Lieberman comes immediately to mind.

That would send the right wing GOP into the stratusphere. The amusement factor alone makes that worth concidering...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It doesn't matter who the Vice-Presidential nominees are just as it doesn't matter if it is Hillary, Obama or McCain. The same tyranny will continue, and the USA will be buried deeper and deeper in the black hole of the fascist security/police state and expansionist delusions of Empire.

I hope U.S. Americans will come to their senses and vote OUT all incumbents (excepting a handful like Ron Paul and Kucinich who have actually read your Constitution). If there ever was a time to vote for ANYONE but a Republican or Democratic, the time is at hand.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

. . it doesn't matter if it is Hillary, Obama or McCain.

I think it does matter. Supreme Court Justice Stevens is 88 years old. He will be replaced in the next president's term. Justice Kennedy is 74 and may retire as well. Justice Ginsburg is also in her 70s and may retire. Reagan and the 2 Bushes have wrecked the Supreme Court. I am hopeful the Dems can restore the Court to modernity.

I hope U.S. Americans will come to their senses and vote OUT all incumbents (excepting a handful like Ron Paul and Kucinich who have actually read your Constitution). If there ever was a time to vote for ANYONE but a Republican or Democratic, the time is at hand.

Both Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich survived their primaries. But, Paul got 37,000 votes in his district, Texas 14, for Congress, to begin his 8th term, but polled only 9,000 votes in the presidential primary in the same district. Even Ron Paul’s own constituents do not want him for president as the district when for John McCain.

Kucinich polled 50% of the vote in a field of 10 candidates in his Ohio district. That is one of the lowest numbers he has ever received. It was considered to be voter frustration with W-DC rather than displeasure with Kucinich.

Ron Paul’s views are extreme IMO. He acts as if this was 1808 and not 2008. What worked once when times were entirely different will not work today but Paul is surrendering to the humongous task that fasces us rather than using his undoubted skills to help make life better. Libertarians are escapists who deny the complexity of the modern world. That is not much help when we really need help.

[edit on 3/7/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
I SAID IT HERE FIRST!!!

John McCain / Colin Powell 2008

(

Powell is an Obama man.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think John McCain might just ask Mike Huckabee to be his running mate. A strong case is to be made for the former Arkansas governor. He did collect a healthy number of (conservative) delegates. He would swing a lot of Christian Conservatives McCain's way.

I know, a lot of people think Huckabee would be a loser for VP; but those same people have been wrong every step of the way of this presidential race.

[edit on 3/7/08 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EastCoastKid

While I cant see Powell re entering the political arena I am willing to consider a Obama - Powell ticket for discussion sake. Powell would be an effective answer to McCain line that only he is qualified to defend America and have experience in foreign policy .

On the flip side after Cheney there is a good chance that voters wont a VP that has that much foreign policy influence or influence at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join