It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parts of "60 Minutes" Broadcast Blocked in Alabama...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Parts of "60 Minutes" Broadcast Blocked in Alabama...

www.huffingtonpost.com

Tonight was something truly unseen in US history. During the 60 Minutes broadcast and ONLY during the Don Siegelman portion -- the screen went black for Huntsville residents and Mobile residents.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I'm not so much outraged at the fraudulent prosecution of an innocent man j/k but at the greater implications of this type of censorship.

I guess it is emblematic of the type of soft fascism we live under today. Not good thats for sure.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

Hey Beef, great thread man.

You seen the UPDATE?

Update:
We are now being told that it was a technical issue with CBS in New York:

We apologize that you missed the first segment of 60 Minutes tonight featuring "The Prosecution of Don Siegelman."

It was a techincal(sic) problem with CBS out of New York. We are working with them right now to see if we can re-broadcast the segment.

Please be patient with us during this time. We are doing our best to correct the problem.

Excuse me? Are they trying to tell us that a glitch in New York ONLY happened in Alabama -- which is the topic of the 60 Minutes broadcast -- and ONLY during the Don Siegelman segment? Are you kidding me? We have selective prosecution and now we have selective news delivery?

This apparently wasn't just limited to a local outage. When a coverup this big happens usually the information is pretty damning. Thread s/f'd from me. I am going to dig into this a bit more as time allows.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I noticed this to, i thought it was just a glitch though on tv. I live right across the river from huntsville in Decatur, about 15 mins away. If this is true then i'm completely shocked. Starred and flagged.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Here is the entire segment in case you missed it.

Don Siegelman 60 minutes: Part 1

Don Siegelman 60 minutes: Part 2

Pretty damning stuff.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Surprises me not. Thanks for the post, sounds like a good segment for rebroadcasting over the internet.

I think many people would be surprised how many broadcast are blocked and filled with other older broadcasts when someone with a little power complains or that station owner doesn't like the subject. I know for a fact that some network news broadcasts start out with one viewpoint on the East Coast & then are completely gutted in order to give the opposite viewpoint to watchers once it reaches West coast time zones.

Making people aware of such things is an important topic.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Wow. Watched them both, thanks. Is it any surprise that Rove is involved? :shk: Anything that guy touches it seems is questionable. I swear, Putin is a better friend to the American people. At least you can believe SOME of what he says.

After just having reported in my latest NSR (see my sig), about the interview Velvetrevolution.us conducted with Allen Raymond, the GOP operative outed and convicted of nefarious deeds, this story lends additional evidence to the web of corrupt, self-serving politicians and justices that need to be sent to prison for a very long time. They have no business being in our government or judicial system.

But it also illustrates that there are good GOP people as well. As he points out in the youtube story, "We are Americans first." I like that guy.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Beef: Great find. Starred and flagged. Also thanks for posting the segment. I missed 60 mins tonight and I meant to watch it.

I believe them when they say it was a "technical issue". The issue is someone pulled the plugged deliberately.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

"... interview Velvetrevolution.us conducted with Allen Raymond, the GOP operative outed and convicted of nefarious deeds, this story lends additional evidence to the web of corrupt, self-serving politicians and justices that need to be sent to prison for a very long time. They have no business being in our government or judicial system.

Nefarious deeds, indeed. I heard him interviewed on NPR, promoting his new book "How to Win an Election: Confessions of A Republican Operative"
I suppose being in jail is conducive to writing. One thing they made perfectly clear in that interview was that democrats employ the exact same tactics. (I'm a democrat.)

This censorship doesn't surprise me. It'll be very interesting to see them try to explain it.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
wow guess you yanks are stuck behind the Iron curtain now

[edit on 25-2-2008 by spoonbeater]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by themillersdaughter

Nefarious deeds, indeed. I heard him interviewed on NPR, promoting his new book "How to Win an Election: Confessions of A Republican Operative"

The operative word there being RIG, lol, cause there is a big difference between that and "win" which is what you stated. I promise I am not trying to be a pain, just wanted to clarify that.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Great post Beef.

Wow, this is really scary stuff. Blocking this to the people of Alabama, and calling it a glitch? No wonder it was blocked, it could have caused a lot of unrest.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is a really good post. I would encourage everyone to email this thread or the original story to everyone you know. America needs to start waking up! This is just crazy.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
They are playing it on their site I just watched it I didnt know anything about this. This is some crazy stuff. Interesting story.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
That's shockingly blatant.
I'm pretty cynical but I was actually surprised by this.

Hopefully there will be such a strong local outcry at the naked attempt at keeping the public in the dark that it ends up getting the story more exposure, and not less...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is surreal. I am completely disgusted with how far the corruption reaches.

People should be outraged because if it can happen to a Governor it can easily happen to you.

When will it end?

Starred and Flagged. Everyone should watch this.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I work for a media analysis company; one of the benefits is that we record every single news broadcast in the country, in every market, national and local, from every station. I wanted to see this black-out for myself. Unfortunately, it looks like our feed for 60 Minutes came direct from New York as opposed to Huntsville and Mobile, so I missed the black-out. However, I did find something that leads to believe me there is no censorship or conspiracy.

Searching through our database for just mentions of Seigleman, the 60 Minutes story was mentioned at least five times in the local Alabama markets. If there was an attempt to cover-up or censor the story, why would it be talked about on a local level? Plus, why would CBS produce and air the story, only to then censor themselves, especially when they go to the effort to air lies (see below) in the story? Those two elements together don't quite add up if you are looking for censorship and conspiracy.

Further, after watching the 60 Minutes story, I am suspicious of the story's claims. I am not saying they are not true, but I do find some things worrisome. I believe 60 Minutes outright lied, through omission and implication, to further their angle on the story.

First, CBS says the investigation was a five-year investigation, but fail to mention when the investigation started. The implication being that it started in 2001, at the urging of the Bush Administration; however, the investigations started in 1999. Second, CBS says the US attorney's investigating Seigleman were appointed by President Bush, which is true; however, the lie of omission comes into play when they fail to mention is that they pursued cases opened by their predecessors in 1999. Plus, the quality of the reporting is a bit suspect; much of the evidence CBS presents is on a he-said/she-said level; we are supposed to believe the testimony of one witness over another just because CBS says so.

While I am not saying that 60 Minutes allegations are not true, their lies of omission and implication make me doubt their credibility. If the allegations are true, why did 60 Minutes feel the need to leave out certain details?

To be honest, I don't trust anyone about any aspect of this story.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Further, after watching the 60 Minutes story, I am suspicious of the story's claims. I am not saying they are not true, but I do find some things worrisome. I believe 60 Minutes outright lied, through omission and implication, to further their angle on the story.

Let's look at you statement here. You said: "I am not saying they are not true", then you contradict yourself buy saying "60 Minutes outright lied". What is your position?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Let's look at you statement here. You said: "I am not saying they are not true", then you contradict yourself buy saying "60 Minutes outright lied". What is your position?

I was very clear...the allegations may be true. However, because of what 60 Minutes choose to not include, making lies of omission and implication, to me it makes the entire case suspect. I'm not sure what to believe. Maybe Siegleman was persecuted because of politics, maybe he wasn't. All I'm saying is, why did 60 Minutes need the spin if their story was strong based on the merits of evidence alone?

I think we need to take a moment of self-reflection here. I'm seeing a huge paradox in thinking in this thread. I think it is safe to say most of us here do not trust the mainstream media; many of us believe they are biased, and shills for one group or another (take your pick). Yet, for some reason, we are willing to accept this story on face value, while at the same time, believing CBS was involved in a cover-up. Does that make any sense to any of you?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Good find Beef. Starred.

What's the best way to clean an Iron Curtain?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join