It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solving A Solar System Quandary By Flip-Flopping Uranus And Neptune

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Now, I am more of an Electric Universe kind of guy...but i also believe that planets moving within our system have created some of the great cataclysms in both our planets history, as well as others (see Valles Marineris on Mars).

Now there is work being done by scientists that may show that the planets have wandered and swapped around:

Solving A Solar System Quandary By Flip-Flopping Uranus And Neptune

This is the result of recent work by Steve Desch, assistant professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University. The work appears in this week's Astrophysical Journal. Desch based his conclusion on his calculations of the surface density of the solar nebula.

The solar nebula is the disk of gas and dust out of which all of the planets formed. The surface density - or mass per area - of the solar nebula protoplanetary disk is a fundamental quantity needed to calculate everything from how fast planets grow to the types of chemicals they are likely to contain.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

planets moving within our system have created some of the great cataclysms in both our planets history, as well as others (see Valles Marineris on Mars).

Well, the 'evidence' you're submitting for this is

1. extremely tenuous and based on a pretty crude theoretical simulation;

for the last 30 years most researchers have relied on an estimate of the surface density called the Minimum Mass Solar Nebula... take the rocky component of each planet, add hydrogen and helium until it matches the Sun in composition, and spread the mass over the area of each planet's orbit. The minimum mass solar nebula predicts disk masses not too different from what we can observe in forming solar systems. But it also predicts low surface densities, with the mass too spread out to form planets quickly.

2. refers to events that took place, if at all, soon after the formation of the solar system about 4.5 billion years ago.

If the planets had been wandering around in a Velikovskian fashion during historical times, as you suggest, you wouldn't have to reach so far back into the history of the Solar System to find evidence of it. Valles Marineris and the various other cracks and craters in the surfaces of planets and moons are easily and economically explained as the result of meteor strikes and vulcanism.

Of course, you know this already.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Why yes, of course.

However, i also do not think that our dating techniques are much more than a best guess. And i also contend the accretion theory.

But this article was presented as something interesting i came across. Not "evidence".

Thanks!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
well, you do have neptune sitting on its side (horizontal axis instead of vertical). i think that in itself shows that something isn't right. i'm not sure i would go as far to say that they have switched places though.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

well, you do have Neptune sitting on its side (horizontal axis instead of vertical).

I think you mean Uranus.

And before any of the admins jump on this reply, a single line is all that was required.

top topics

join