It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better off Not Knowing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I have seen a lot of threads about doomsday scenarios on the ATS web site, and a lot of them are compelling to say the least. A common idea is that the world will end in the year 2012 , and that studies have been done by our government that proove it; I can assume this is more than a little troublesome to most. I know it is for me. But if you knew for a fact that you had eight years left to live would you really want to know? How would this information benefit or change your life? A lot of people seem angry that some group of people would keep this information from us. Or is it just that you were left out of the loop? I don�t think knowing would be of any benefit. As far as I am concerned, let me go on living my life without having to worry about something that no one on earth can change.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I don�t think knowing would be of any benefit. As far as I am concerned, let me go on living my life without having to worry about something that no one on earth can change.

That's the whole point. Is it inevitable?
I'll buy (for a minute) the fact that the world will end in 2012.
But I won't buy the fact that there is no way to stop it.

And the thought is, that if everyone knew the truth about everything, then someone might be able to see the solution.

And so people might be mad that information of any sort is being withheld, yes.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
2012 stems from the end of the Mayan calendar. What people seem to get wrong is that they believe it means the end of the world, which it doesn't. I'll link a couple of sites to give more info:

www.chiron-communications.com...

"Anthropologists visit the temple sites," Mr. Barrios says, "and read the stelas and inscriptions and make up stories about the Maya, but they do not read the signs correctly. It�s just their imagination...Other people write about prophecy in the name of the Maya. They say that the world will end in December 2012. The Mayan elders are angry with this. The world will not end. It will be transformed. The indigenous have the calendars, and know how to accurately interpret it, not others."

www.tortuga.com...

Basically they said that we will enter a period of peace a 'golden age'. Some believe that in December 21 2012 we will undergo a dimensional shift from 3rd to 4th. Many also believe that it will be the end of "time" or linear time being that it is an illusion. I know that I am over simplifying it but I am tired (it's 2:20 am).

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'd be better off not knowing.. just so I can sleep peacefully.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Well yeah, there's alot of things were better off not knowing and that may be one of them.

If you know you may decide not to have kids - if they might not have a full life, not to work so hard to aquire a more comfortable lifestyle if you can't keep it long enough to enjoy it etc.

Hypothetically - If you know that a meteor is going to hit or the sun was going to go into a high flare cycle, you might want to live close to a cavern or cave, so you can have the opportunity to survive. Of course you would need the resources to setup the area for at least the basics like enough water & food supply. Problem is that leaves most of the population out & it doesn't make sense for the people in the know to tell others as it would cause major disruptions for those who are currently making plans for surviving the event.

If news is ever released about some type of big event like that & people found out that we don't have enough resources to save 90% of the population - there would be complete chaos. Rioters would be shot on site & many would have to be incarcerated. As bad as it sounds there would be no other way. Therefore don't expect to find out until it's too late.

Who really knows though maybe someone will solve the formula for everything & we'll go to the next level.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by outsider]

top topics

join