It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Con

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
First certian definitions to con:

–adverb
1. against a proposition, opinion, etc.: arguments pro and con.
–noun
2. the argument, position, arguer, or voter against something.
–verb (used with object)
1. to direct the steering of (a ship).
–noun
2. the station of the person who cons.
3. the act of conning.
–adjective
1. involving abuse of confidence: a con trick.
–verb (used with object)
2. to swindle; trick: That crook conned me out of all my savings.
3. to persuade by deception, cajolery, etc.
verb (used with object), conned, con·ning. British Dialect.
1. to strike, hit, or rap (something or someone).
2. to hammer (a nail or peg).
3. to beat or thrash a person with the hands or a weapon.

What's stopping any with access to weaponry and vehicles with weaponry in the U.S. military from conning the U.S.A. to cause terror, directly or indirectly, inside the U.S. for some purpose, or to start their reigning over the U.S. to turn it into a government ruled by military?

What I mean by indirectly is like committing an unauthorized bombing on, say, Russia's capitol in hopes to cause a retaliation on the U.S. of the WW3 kind. And what I mean by direct is like bombing on the White House up. So far all we've seen was lone gunmen on foot taking lives at schools, but what if the trend goes on a bigger scale be it because of mental illness or not?

A true home-grown terrorist, stripped of other ways to terrorize after 9-11, would, if committed and wise, gain their way up in the military to get to the oppurtunity to reak some havok. Anything is possible these days. The con could be in the works for better or for worse.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The biggest thing is that military vehicles aren't the property of one man. An Abrams tank has a crew of four, as does a B-1. A B-52 has a crew of five. In short a single terrorist isn't going to be able to operate / fly a vehicle without some friends coming along for the ride. Aircraft require a ground crew to prepare them for flight, and load the ordnance. That's even more people.

Assuming you can get your aircraft prepped and loaded, the minute you start an unauthorized taxi / takeoff roll, there's going to be some serious objection from several quarters...and even the most impressive aircraft on Earth can be stopped fairly quickly by the simple expedient of having the "Follow Me" truck park across the runway.

Assuming that despite base security's best efforts, you get airborne, the USAF probably won't hesitate to shoot down a hijacked / stolen bomber.

That's a lot of people, and a lot of assumptions...in plain English, I don't see this being a serious threat.

Ground vehicles might be easier...they tend to be pre-loaded with ammo, and require a bit less ground support. On the other hand, they also tend to have a shorter range, and pose a lesser individual threat. They also tend to travel in packs, and if you did manage to get a full crew of terrorists aboard one, the other tanks in the platoon could probably deal with the rogue in short order.

new topics

join