It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone supply me with a pic of Saddams golden AK47s?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What a waste of money I say. Imagine how many books they could have bought for schools for the amount of money they spent on that crap.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Gold plating really isnt that expensive. Most gold plate is only a few microns thick so over the surface area of a entire AK its really a tiny, tiny amont of gold.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Somewhat related....

You guys were wondering how much it would cost to make a gold-plated gun, my dad's friend bought a gold plated shotgun and it cost him about 3 k.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I know for a fact that the British Army have some of Saddam's golden AK's... my friend got to see them recently in a cache of seized Iraqi weapons (mostly AK's)... We live in London, UK

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by enlightened_smurf
Somewhat related....

You guys were wondering how much it would cost to make a gold-plated gun, my dad's friend bought a gold plated shotgun and it cost him about 3 k.

I didnt cost it 3K to plate it. I mean I could easily spend 3k plus on a shotgun without any gold plating. The type of gun and engraving work would have a much greater impact then any thin gold plating. A L.C. Smith Eagle Grade can run you 6k with no gold at all.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I believe the shotgun he bought was about $1500 and the gold was about $1500. Not sure what brand the shotgun was but i know it was a 12 gauge

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Ouch about $1500 for just gold plating. I hope he got some engraving work for that price because if not they took him to the dry cleaners the gold plating would only have used a tiny fraction of a ounce of gold to do.

Gold plating generally cost around $1.00 per square inch (.2µm to .5µm thick).

www.goldplating.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Yea it has some pretty nice detailing / engraving on it. And i think he said they put a thicker then normal coat of gold on there so that it would be more durable.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ah that engraving could easily drive the cost up that high. Most of that engraving done on good quality rifles and shotguns is all hand done work by very skilled people.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
you kno all this talk of gold ak's is nice but woulnt it be somyhin if there was a platinium plated ak and instead of the wood they put highly polished ivory on the foward grip and shoulder part of the gun what do you all think and if you hav pics of my fantasy please post them

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join