It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Spies Want to Find Terrorists in World of Warcraft

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

U.S. Spies Want to Find Terrorists in World of Warcraft

www.blacklistednews.com

Be careful who you frag. Having eliminated all terrorism in the real world, the U.S. intelligence community is working to develop software that will detect violent extremists infiltrating World of Warcraft and other massive multiplayer games, according to a data-mining report from the Director of National Intelligence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.wired.com

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Am I reading this right? They are going to watch multiplayer online games to try and find terrorists? How do they think this will work? I believe their reasoning is that if they watch online game behavior, this will help identify possible threats which in turn will lead to earlier warnings? If this is the case, you have got to be kidding me. It seems to me to be an act of desperation of sorts. Resorting to data mining from online game play seems to be a little over the top to me.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If anything You would think they would be monitoring 1st person shooters, I happen to play alot of them, and love the hadas out of em, but in some, like Counter Strike, and Older Unreal tournaments, I hear some pretty Saddning things,

Some is in clear english, some is in broken english an some I havent a clue about becuz its not english, But there is Clearly people playing these games and talking about Politics of a Concerning nature, Referencing to Al-qeada and other groups, and pretty wild things about the USA government, I could 100% understand why they would check out 1st person shooters, But MMORPGs I play everquest and WoW, and havent heard anything like that but it is in text, and they can have private rooms, so .....

interesting.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Trance Optic

That is interesting Trance. I play a lot of games but not really online in multiplayer format. I was unaware that such things were being said. But, how seriously can and should these comments be taken? Are they from older people or from young kids? That is what they are going to have to figure out. And if they are kids, the things they say could be picked up from anywhere. They may have heard their parents talking politics or read it online somewhere. They might not even know what they are talking about. Maybe just trying to sound "cool" or tougher than they really are. That is the thing about PC's and online gaming....people always seem to be "tougher" behind a screen.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I've got one thing to say about this topic.
LEROOOOOY JENKINS!!!!!
Damm thing gets funnier every time I watch it.

[edit on 23-2-2008 by metal92]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
What a great excuse for more federal money to be wasted - this time to pay people to play wow. Unbelievable.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Yeah this is pretty disgusting. I used to play WoW around highschool and the most extremist people I met were rogue gankers etc.
Besides that, 99% of conversations revolve around the game, what quest you're doing, where you got your gear etc. Conversations about real life are rare, as are political activists etc.

So really, what business do anti-terrorists have in WoW? What's their plan here?

Are they doing to monitor the play activity of people? If that were the case, they would consider me a potential war criminal for constantly killing human civilians (I was horde). It was after all 'unlawful' activity within the game.

It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination (at least mine) to think they would consider such activity representative of a potential terrorist. Things are out of control.

I also used to love FPS' like the Quake series etc. If the government wants to do useful recon, they should think about training the pros. The pro-gamers in all FPS leagues have reflexes three times the speed of a normal person, get them in shape and teach them to shoot a gun... don't spend our tax dollars monitoring casual conversations etc
What a joke.

Flagged thread

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

don't spend our tax dollars monitoring casual conversations etc What a joke

Exactly right. Tax dollars that will add up to nothing in return. What is it now a days that the government doesn't want to get a hand in. I use FPS' to vent frustration after a crappy day at work. It is the only way to kill without actually hurting anything or anyone. I guess that way of venting will go out the window.
I am sure they are using this towards the argument of preventing domestic terrorism. As you said.....What a joke.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by metal92
I've got one thing to say about this topic.
LEROOOOOY JENKINS!!!!!
Damm thing gets funnier every time I watch it.

[edit on 23-2-2008 by metal92]

I love that too. It reminds me of almost every raid I was involved in. Don't these idiots realize that most players are playing a game to get away from real life?

Besides, if you read any server forum for any game, you will find plenty of in-game drama. We don't need to import from RL.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Soooo.....

Someone at the Pentagon got busted playing WoW at work... and managed not only to talk their way out of it, but managed to get funding to continue playing.

If that`s how it played out, I predict that person`s image will adorn cubicle walls worldwide within the year.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have been an avid gamer for years.. in saying that, I can kind of see the angle they are taking.

Over my course of gaming I have been apart of many "clans and guilds", ran a few as well.

When you can take anywhere from 20-150 people, organize them on a Ventrillo or Teamspeak server and do it all unchecked and pretty much in the open.. you might have potential for devious communications and planning.

I dont think they are gonna be running around the landscape of WoW watching to see if you spawn camped that guy for too long, or killed too many boars in the woods.

Playing the game is the only way to get a foot in the door in any of these groups.

I feel its more of infiltrating groups of gamers to make sure they are not a front for terrorist uprisings and communication.

Isn't that what "spies" do? Infiltrate?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Whoops...time to delete my druid, shaman, and warlock.
I'll name my next character I create "Bornfreetruebloodedamericanus".

Hope that isn't too conspicuous.

- Lee

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is merely a ruse to give the powers that be another excuse to censor and monitor the internet. Coupled with the recent sabre-rattling on capital hill about
"the internet is a potential weapon" BS, it fits in nicely with their plan to take away more of your rights, including the internet we have now. The future will be a nicely knit, government controlled net, wherin you only have access to what they wish you to, and heavily monitored and censored. They think. It will not work however, as we will only create our own underground internet to bypass such fascism.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Most of the WoW players I know have become veritable sloths, speaking their own WoW language, discussing what their latest Shaman or Fighters wearing, bitching about having to leave their chairs to order pizza, coke, beer and crap.

Yeah they're an insidious group of extremists that must be monitored.

Terrorist speak...I mean Team Speak...lol just listen to the bitching hahaha and fear their whinging and whining. Yes sometimes they are happy after a victorious raid but on the whole....come one.

Breaking News: The hunt for Osama has been downgraded whilst CIA targets latest terror threat Leroy Jenkins.

Can anyone say... Slush Fund?

[edit on 24-2-2008 by Grimholt]

[edit on 24-2-2008 by Grimholt]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I believe I once typed that I wanted to take over the zeppelin and crash it into Stormwind.. so I might be in trouble.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimholt

I agree with the first part of your post.. that DOES describe 99% of the WoW population or ANY game population for that matter.

But where does a group gather for planning? In a seedy underground basement? All in one place for a better chance of being discovered?

No, I wouldn't, neither would you.

You could have a group of people that have a worldwide link through a game that they don't even have to be playing used as a recruiting and planning device.

If I can think of it.. its already been implemented.

I dont believe in completely watching the net... but we can't be naive about the possibilities being out there.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I have to be honest...I feel like I dropped about 10 IQ points trying to understand the logic behind all of this.

This is nothing more than an unbelievable waste of money, time and resources. At best the Government just has a few game junkies who want to be paid to play a video game. This has nothing to do with "terrorism" at all. It's just about gaining control of every aspect of people's lives.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I wonder if they are taking applications. I suppose I could crank out a holy spec priest if the pay was right. But going need a dedicated line and a new laptop and an open expense account for the coffee and Mt. Dew in order to do a good job.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
`ahmed i want to you take you weapon of infidel slaying and go forth and meet your maker in the name of allah`

` but , erm im level 1 and thats onyxia`

` do not question me! consider it good practise!`

world of warcraft is about orcs and dragons and demons - yeah real relevant to a terrorist

that article is about 6 months behind - and it mentioned in detail talking second life and second life teen not wow , they really need to get there facts right.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

"Having eliminated all terrorism in the real world..." Are you kidding me?!?!?!? That is funny. And not true. And regardless of anyone's stance on 9/11, denying that there aren't terrorists that want to harm us, is well, ignorant.

And since I HATE HATE HATE anything to do with WOW, due to an ex-boyfriend of mine, this post is doubly hilarious to me.

I really did not have anything of value to contribute to this thread, except that I hate World Of Warcraft.

Proceed.

[edit on 2/24/2008 by GetOutOfMyRabbitHole] for spelling.

[edit on 2/24/2008 by GetOutOfMyRabbitHole]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join