It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a science question.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Ok well my friend the other day made a grand point to me the other day.

Why is it you can see the moon during the day time.How is it the other side of the earth can see the moon at the same time on the dark side.

it is a very intresting question and I was wondering the science behind it.

I could not come up with an answer.

I said that because the moon is so high. it shows on both sides dark and sunlghted.

But he replied it dont work like that. For the other side to see it the would have to be on the dark side of earth. which is right.

so how is it we both see the moon during daylight and night. If the moon is on your daylight side how can they see the moon on the other.

anyone wanna answer this please?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
OOO Purdy Picture!

My guess would be....Space stuff!

Space stuff is happening and thats the answer to your question

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The moon orbits the Earth in a 28 day cycle. Every part of the Earth sees it at some time or other. When it's in the sky for one half of the Earth, the other half don't see it until it moves into view. Sometimes it happens to be in view during the day, sometimes at night. I'm astounded that you should be muddled over something like this. The Internet has loads of info to explain how it works.

WG3

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Some of these answers are so obvious.

I'm not going to tell you the answer. Why? Because I would like you to think for yourself.

It really is not that hard. All it takes is some time off from what you are doing. Just sit, think, observe. From your knowledge of just every day life, you can deduct an answer. It is not as complicated as it may seem.

I really wish we would all take some time to come to our own conclusions instead of being spoon fed.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Because it's made of green cheese!

Everyone knows that!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Stay on Topic– Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comatose

I'm not going to tell you the answer. Why? Because I would like you to think for yourself.

It really is not that hard. All it takes is some time off from what you are doing. Just sit, think, observe. From your knowledge of just every day life, you can deduct an answer. It is not as complicated as it may seem.

I really wish we would all take some time to come to our own conclusions instead of being spoon fed.

so you took time to post only to tell the guy, you wont tell him. if he bloody knew, he wouldnt ask. this is obviously something hes been thinking about for sometime, and he did the next smartest thing when he realized he couldnt find a clear answer: he asked a question.
gotf... so many self-righteous kinds here

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comatose

I'm not going to tell you the answer.

If you are not going to offer an explanation to the question but insert a condescending remark instead, then please refrain from posting in this forum.

Please offer something of substance to the conversation or do not post at at all.

Remember Courtesy is mandatory

1) Be polite. Above all, we take pride in the fact that AboveTopSecret.com is renowned as a destination for civil and polite discussion of nearly anything. Treat your fellow ATS members with respect, and your time here will be rewarding.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It is so simple, a quick search in the library...oops, I'm showing my age...how about Wikipedia?

Really, questions like this were covered in detail when I went to school, like from the seventh grade onward! I mean, it the fault of our educatin system (referring to the USA, not sure where the OP lives) that dumbs-down education...perhaps it's the 'No Child Left Behind' nonsense, but that's another thread...

Back to topic...science questions such as this are easily answered, not only online from sources, but from human mentors at your school!!!

The internet is great to fill in the details, as long as you don't get distracted by some of the nonsense that prevails on the web. A reasoning mind is the best mind...

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm sorry that you received such a negative welcome to your question..

I however think I know what your saying. I often wondered how come 24 hours a day, all around the planet, no matter when or where on the earth you see the moon you see the same exact side. That doesn't make any sense to me no matter how many times it's been explained, and i have a very 3-dimensional mind.

I think the only answer is that there is no answer. The only explanation is that the only explanation can come from a licensed NASA employee, who would not be allowed to display the 100% truth, should there be need to hide it. I believe the only way of learning about space is doing it yourself, and studying ancient space text.

Seems like ever since America was founded theres been a shadow hanging over the world, blurring the truth about every and anything. It's a case of mistrust, and an extreme break in overseas social networking. Especially since the "race to the moon" which has so much skepticism around it that we are probably looked down upon around the world for the "fake moon landing" (whether fake or not).

As always, that's just one guys opinion.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

I don't think that's what the OP asked.

Why is it you can see the moon during the day time.How is it the other side of the earth can see the moon at the same time on the dark side.

he asked why can u see it form opposite side of the earth at same time
but you can't really...

no matter when or where on the earth you see the moon you see the same exact side.

Your saying it doesn't rotate - different question

(John Lear says because it was towed there by a giant space craft from Saturn).

[edit on 2/23/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Oh okay, just rambling and ranting I guess. Maybe this is worthy of a new forum.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It is at least seven times bigger then EARTH I would say it envelopes different parts of the world with its 'body of motion'. It's only there because we think it into place.

In a sense I would say one is an optical illusion, but can you tell which one?

One is the physical embodiement and one is the spiritual, bending space and time.

Through all hemispheres it should be shown except for weather conditions blocking one view.

Things in space are moving in all directions at once, orbiting in and out of patterned directions throwing your space scientists off.

Its kind of like the person that is always in front of you, in back of you and on both sides of you.

But is always there reguardless of time, night or day.

The problem is that people are looking at it in Linear Mechanics. Look outside your time zone and see what you see.

[edit on 23-2-2008 by menguard]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
I'm sorry that you received such a negative welcome to your question..

I however think I know what your saying. I often wondered how come 24 hours a day, all around the planet, no matter when or where on the earth you see the moon you see the same exact side. That doesn't make any sense to me no matter how many times it's been explained, and i have a very 3-dimensional mind.

I think the only answer is that there is no answer. The only explanation is that the only explanation can come from a licensed NASA employee, who would not be allowed to display the 100% truth, should there be need to hide it. I believe the only way of learning about space is doing it yourself, and studying ancient space text.

Seems like ever since America was founded theres been a shadow hanging over the world, blurring the truth about every and anything. It's a case of mistrust, and an extreme break in overseas social networking. Especially since the "race to the moon" which has so much skepticism around it that we are probably looked down upon around the world for the "fake moon landing" (whether fake or not).

As always, that's just one guys opinion.

Huh?!?

First, you say you can't understand why we only see one side of the Moon, when it is clearly explained in every science text, in every place you want to explore the question, that the Moon rotates about its axis, just as the Earth does.

I'll make it simple...the Sun revolves around the Earth, right? Well, if you are standing there, thinking the World is flat, and watching the Sun, then the Sun is the thing that is moving, right? BUT, you know that is not the case, don't you?

Alright...now...the Earth rotates about ITS axis once every (approx) 24 hours. With me? The moon is in an orbit about the Earth that lasts (approx) 28 to 29 days. Just so happens, the Moon roatates about ITS axis in about 28 or 29 days...is it sinking in yet???

Really, such basic knowledge of astrophysics, not being taught anymore in the schools, it is a shame.......

Here's a question, and don't jump to Google or Wiki to answer...What is the (approx) rotation speed of Mars? What is its (in Earth years) orbital period?

How many light minutes are WE away from the Sun???

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
If someone cannot answer, off the top of their head, how many light minutes it is from the Earth to the Sun...if they have to go look it up, then let's say we need more science education in schools!!!

Science is dying...LONG LIVE IGNORANCE!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Ok, so in other words other places in the world do NOT see the same moon that I see, correct? They see a degree of difference?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

all i knowoff top of my head is 93 million miles aprox

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
If someone cannot answer, off the top of their head, how many light minutes it is from the Earth to the Sun...if they have to go look it up, then let's say we need more science education in schools!!!

Science is dying...LONG LIVE IGNORANCE!!!!

I seem to remember 8 minutes. I didn't google it. If I'm right, do I get a cookie?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by flashback

flashback, you get the cookie!!

ok, second line of no importance, just to avoid the one line post...

OK, Carry on!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well among all this banter I missed the answer to my question other then nobody knows. So then why am I so stupid for asking it.

Often times I see the moon at Noon to 2 pm then 5 hours later it is here in the night sky.

When clearly its night time in UK EU etc. And for it to be dark that sid eof the globe has to be away from the sun.

So how is it they can see the Moon? If there blocked from the Sun there Blocked from view?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join