It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indrids Daily Thought

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It may not effect the weather...but it may effects some things in Japan. I say this because of Newtons law : every Action has an equal and opposite reaction. The butterfly flapping his wings exerts a force on the air, this force creates the opposite force, which may force the unaffected air, which kinda goes off in a chain reaction... or at least that's what my science teacher said... i'm not sure if he's right thuogh...

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Again...small things matter only on a small level, because in reality butterfly flapping its wings in New York doesn't affect the weather in Japan.
Ever heard of Occam's Razor, according to that, Butterfly effect has very little chance of success.
I've never heard of Occam's Razor? Would you care to enlighten on this phrase?

I believe that everything as minute as a butterfly could change the future, just like something as obscure as a thought. That is my feeling. If you have an imagination and understand relationships of the environment, you will know what I mean. I think that if Einstein were alive, he would agree on the Butterfly effect.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Every little thing that we do does have its effect on our environment. In terms of our actions, saying hi to someone does effect the future. This is the same phenomena as the "butterfly effect", where a butterfly flapping its wings in new york can affect the weather in Japan.

A person's thought will affect the future as well, because it is just like sending out a wave into the universal consciousness.

Again...small things matter only on a small level, because in reality butterfly flapping its wings in New York doesn't affect the weather in Japan.

Ever heard of Occam's Razor, according to that, Butterfly effect has very little chance of success.

yeah, but if the universe is infinite then the butterfly effect still has an infinite number of chances to sucede

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I've never heard of Occam's Razor? Would you care to enlighten on this phrase?

Definitely. "The theory with the least assumptions is the best theory."

I think it fits here because the Butterfly effect has a lot of assumptions, right? I am purely guessing. So therefore it isn't the best theory.

Opposed to what? I have to think about that.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
It may not effect the weather...but it may effects some things in Japan. I say this because of Newtons law : every Action has an equal and opposite reaction. The butterfly flapping his wings exerts a force on the air, this force creates the opposite force, which may force the unaffected air, which kinda goes off in a chain reaction... or at least that's what my science teacher said... i'm not sure if he's right thuogh...

My point exactly, every action has a equal and opposite reaction, small matters affect only on a small scale, so the butterfly effect, a small effect can have only a small reaction, I don't think a tornado counts.

It may go around in a chain reaction, but what are the chances of that happening, in this subject, theory doesn't matter when compared to reality.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I think it fits here because the Butterfly effect has a lot of assumptions, right? I am purely guessing. So therefore it isn't the best theory.

whast to assume? all we assume is that things affect other things, i think thats fair enuf.
as to newton's law, i dont think so, after all, we can just employ the domino effect to circumvent that. one particle blows, which blows three others, whcih blows three others etc. (

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

whast to assume? all we assume is that things affect other things, i think thats fair enuf.
as to newton's law, i dont think so, after all, we can just employ the domino effect to circumvent that. one particle blows, which blows three others, whcih blows three others etc. (

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

What most people here are arguing is about what happens in theory!

"In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice, they arent"
that sorta proves u i think, but u cant discuss practice here, it jsut wat out of our league. we can only suppose.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Oi see the chaos theory, im sure uve heard of it, i guess this would make it a legit science ats discussion then :>

i think this might just be temporary hosting so link might change in near future
Chaos Theory

top topics

<< 1   >>

join