It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youth Gangs Menace Melbourne

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

YOUTHS warned of a Cronulla-type gang explosion in Melbourne as violent outer-suburban clans fight over turf in escalating violence.

News Link

what is happening yet again we need stronger task force to battle these holigens thugs kids and gang members everywere we need stronger police against crime we cannot have another riot day its not good for this country or any normal ppl wanting to live a normal life in australia

?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

SaadAdam
The news report your referenced does make reference to one of the gangs calling them selves "arab defenders." It also says that the people in the gangs are coming from out side the city. In many other places in the world violence is being caused by immigrants or children there of who do not want to accept being part of the country. Do you know if that has anything to do with the violence that is happening in Melbourne?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

man i live in australia it isent only outsiders its australians arabs and islanders i here alot of storys here and there and actualy see alot of things i am 21 and i know alot of ppl into this kind of things and i can tell u australians are just the same as most the arabs? the news wouldent wanna say thay are australian thay dont put news up to blame there own ppl its news man lol

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Ok so your saying there is no one thing to blame. It is just gangs of young people in a turf war.
I hope it will get stopped soon.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Ok so your saying there is no one thing to blame. It is just gangs of young people in a turf war.
I hope it will get stopped soon.

many things are to blame music , sociaty , goverment , decisions , pearents , schools , religion - and alot more its allways gona be things around these catagorys u can never go blaming one type of nation u have to blame all if u do

there is 2 much to fix these kids think thay living in america like gangsters and stuff its a daily thing its all because of america cant thay take care of there ppl jesus thay have so much money this is were illuminati comes in thay dont care thay want it how it is

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdam

many things are to blame music , sociaty , goverment , decisions , pearents , schools , religion - and alot more its allways gona be things around these catagorys u can never go blaming one type of nation u have to blame all if u do

there is 2 much to fix these kids think thay living in america like gangsters ...

Easy solution - pack em up and send em off to the roughest neighborhoods in the US. Then we'll see how "hood" they are

These kids are just bored. And many are being taught intolerance for others and the bigotry they harbor by their parents and ill-informed peers with just as much hate int heir hearts.
I guess I'm not really too shocked by it. Sydney was the eye opener that this kind of thing was about to begin elsewhere, it was just a matter of time.

Just makes me sick to read, in my hometown of all places - Sydney was enough to sicken me and I don't even really care for Sydney lol. The fact that it's happening period makes me so angry.

We need to do all we can to prevent our wonderful country deteriorating into what America now accepts as the norm.
I am surprised to see that we still tolerate "gangs"
Why not make it illegal to be a gang member ? Lock em up, do us all a favor

They're not contributing in any kind of positive way so I wouldn't think twice about reading THAT in our headlines.

[edit on 23-2-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

nicely said jade i agre these lil kids and also grown ups need a lesson lock them up and i so dont want australia to become another america the worst place in the world hehe

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

young people will never stop beging gangs because its a way to belong and to fell like u can be baked up were ever you go and one off many reasons that they can get into wars is because they have bad leader ship.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

SaadAdam
The news report your referenced does make reference to one of the gangs calling them selves "arab defenders." It also says that the people in the gangs are coming from out side the city. In many other places in the world violence is being caused by immigrants or children there of who do not want to accept being part of the country. Do you know if that has anything to do with the violence that is happening in Melbourne?

I don't live In Austrailia, but I live in London, in london, it's not just any ethnic minority, it's every race. The problem is not certain immigrants, but the whole gang culture, gangster wannabes, gangster music, act gangster or your gonna get bullied culture, and of course, young people have always been causing trouble, gang culture or not.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I really don't think locking them up will solve anything, in a matter of fact I think it could make things worse. They would be around the same people who would have lead them down that road. So at the end of the day it's not going to change them.

Sending them to the US is going to cost $$.

Why not make these gang members mandatory to join the army, or put these youth gangs through big time jail.

I think there needs to be more force taken by the police over this issue. I live out west from Sydney and my area used to have a lot of problems. When the police started cracking down and patrolling these areas constantly, things started getting easier.

Haha why not employ retired special forces members in the gang taskforce?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I feel I have some sort of responsibility to give my opinion here.

Judge how you want but I know these youths and race has as much role to play in anything here as everything else.
I'm friends with kids who are 14 that spend nights in the city bottling people and holding them up, then 30 minutes later are stomping someone else into the ground for no particular reason. Police, ticket inspectors, women, men, any age, they're all targets because these kids live with a single drug-addict parent relying on food stamps and government benefits to have a roof over their head.

They'll do anything to anyone regardless of whether or not they're in the way.

They get locked up every weekend, then they're out the next week. That same day they're released their best friend gets locked up and is out again the next week. They have as many friends inside as they do on the street.

Police can't stop it. Believe me when I say that the idea of police intervening or being locked up DOES NOT and WILL NOT change their mindset. It's a sad state of affairs and will only decline further in time.

Doing pills and attempting to knock out a police officer, then released a week later and out doing it again. Painting trains, doing home invasions, hot wiring cars and joy-riding.

The good news is that some of them reach the point when they realise they're not going to get far and they do change on their own accord. Even the most dangerous people I've seen become "normal" people once they neck up.

They know that their wanted by the Police before the Police even show up at their door to arrest them. By that time they're already in hiding at a friends house on the other side of Melbourne, and they don't tell ANYBODY but that friend where they are and so they are safe for as long as they want to be.
The ironic part is, that while they're hiding from the police that same night they're holding up people at knife-point in a different suburb.
They pretty much breath violence and can't live without destroying anything.

Like I said, they don't care, and there's so so much more that the news doesn't do or doesn't want to report.

I was there, I did this, but only because I was with those that did it and if I sat back I'd have been the enemy.

In my opinion the only way to attempt to curb the violence is to start at the roots of it and create a friendly environment for these street kids growing up - BEFORE they're old enough to hold a blade.

[edit on 3/2/09 by Nventual]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Good point nventual, but over in the south east suburbs, in white collar suburbs like Hampton, kids are doing the same sort of things; tagging trains, pulling knives on people etc. They aren't doing it for money (their parents have them covered on that front) but to fit in, or for street cred. It seems pointless, but they must think that being part of a group like that will make them more respected, and you do see people respond to them. When you get to Hampton station at 11pm on a Friday night, and there's fifty teenagers sitting around in their Ralph Lauren shirts, you go the other way, it's that simple. They don't have the same reputation as the boys from springy or further out, but in south eastern areas, where there is hardly any crime (I can walk in the alleys in my neighbourhood at 1am without any chance of anything happening), it is disheartening to not feel safe somewhere.

new topics

top topics

join