It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American town with most war dead per capita--again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Porterville, California, bears some of the most public scars from the Vietnam War. With the highest number of deaths per capita of any city in the U.S.-the average age of those killed was 22.4, said city employee Gil Meachum-it remembers its losses through a living memorial of 28 giant sequoias framing a Huey helicopter held aloft. The sequoias, planted in the 1980s, were given plaques with the names of the war dead as an Eagle Scout project in 1996.

Source

I just read in the news, that this town has another fallen soldier from another war, the war in Iraq. One of the founding parents of Gold Star Families for Peace was the father of a Porterville soldier. Is this town repeating its per capita record, for a different war, or is there another American town suffering or about to suffer that sad recognition?

Porterville has always been lucrative for military recruiters. It is a town known for its unquestioning patriotism in past decades and filled with poor students hungry for any financial help for college.

So, will this town repeat or pass the distinction to another American town?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Poverty may be a factor, it's something the US military preys on to recruit cannon fodder.

I'd be interested to know what color the skin of these dead soldiers was.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Definitely! Besides offering money for education, another angle I've heard recruiters use is the health care provided by the military. So, once again, working poor who have no health insurance might find this attractive.

Anyone out there whose town has more than one war dead? How many?

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Stared and flagged

This war and it's cost in lives and treasure cannot be ignored. And also it's affect after the troops come home.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The looting of Iraqi treasures following the initial "liberation" was followed by the looting of America's treasures, its young soldiers, by Rumsfeld. He is guilty of sending so many of America's best and brightest to their death.

McCain's use of the word "gooks" is testament to how long the effects of a war can last.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I just had an idea.......

We already know that the US recruits most heavily in neighborhoods that are rampant in poverty. We also know the US has an ongoing problem with illegal immigration.

Why not offer immigrants full citizenship if they serve at least 4 years in the Armed Forces ?

top topics

join