It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth bomber crashes at Andersen AFB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Stealth bomber crashes at Andersen AFB

www.kuam.com

KUAM News has learned that a B-2 stealth bomber crashed at Andersen Air Force Base this morning. The incident happened at around 10:45am Saturday, as information we've gathered so far indicates that a lead B-2 aircraft took off and became safely airborne, but when minutes later a second bomber took off for reasons that are unknown at this point, that aircraft crashed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hosted.ap.org

www.wral.com...

www.honoluluadvertiser.com

[edit on 22-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Looks like it crashed on base.

Both pilots ejected safely from the aircraft, Homebased in Missouri's Whiteman AFB

First crash of a B-2, I believe. - $1.2 billion , ouch.

One of only 21 built, was following another B-2 , which had just taken off, for routine patrols, it seems.

www.kuam.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.honoluluadvertiser.com

The radar-evading bombers, each of which cost more than $1.2 billion,
drop 500-pound and 2,000-pound dummy concrete bombs
at Pohakuloa Training Area on the Big Island in more than 20-hour roundtrips from Guam.

[edit on 22-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Actually it sounds like they were on their way home. Reports are saying that it was their last take off, at the end of a 4 month deployment. That's the most dangerous time for any unit. Everyone is ready to go home, and thinking about being with families again, and not paying attention.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Actually it sounds like they were on their way home.
Reports are saying that it was their last take off, at the end of a 4 month deployment.

Good catch, Z'.

"Reports" ? Could you elaborate or drop us a link?

That's the most dangerous time for any unit. Everyone is ready to go home,
and thinking about being with families again, and not paying attention.

Interesting insight, although somewhat surprising to this civilian.
I would think the professionalism needed (especially with this platform) would supersede that kind of behaviour.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If you look at various wars and deployments were the trip home and the trip just before home. My father knew several people that had some very close calls within a week of going home. Training does do SOME to alleviate that problem, but even military personnel are only human. If you had been out for 4-6 months and knew you were only a few days away from getting to see your wife and kids again, you'd lose some focus. They do their best to keep the people focused, and most of the time they can stay focused, but not always.

The 4 B-2s that were out there were just replaced by 6 B-52s, and were launching in a cell (all aircraft fly together instead of stringing them out hours apart) and heading home. I'll try to find the reports on it, but I can't seem to find them again right at the moment.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Tail number 89-0127 Spirit of Kansas. Air Vehicle 12, delivered in 1995.

The aircraft was one in a flight of four B-2s that was returning to Whiteman AFB, Mo., following a deployment that began Oct. 5, Czerwinski said. They were being replaced in the constant bomber presence role at Anderson by six B-52s.

Sour ce

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Early speculation on my part is that his right elevon deployed on take off, putting him into a right bank and dragging the wingtip. The wreckage is off to the right of the runway, which would be consistant with turning on take off.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Understandable, just surprising. Maybe I watch too many movies.

Thanks again, for the personal insights, and links.

OK, I found the thread in Aircraft Projects, so I'll check in there.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not sure if you saw that one or not. There was a flight control issue in 1991 that was fixed, and cropped up again in 1998-99.

The accident board was convened and is on site investigating.

join