It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd copy of SETI@home instaled on USB flash drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yup that's right fellow SETI@home users, I've installed a second copy of SETI@home on my USB flash drive. The idea behind this is that I can run it on any computer I use at the university. I can start a WU on one computer during class, continue the same WU on a different computer in a different class, on another when I'm just fooling around online with the uni computers and so on.

This is a great way for some of you that have a USB flash drive to get some extra WU's done on work, school or public computers.

Anyone else do something like this?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I put the command-line SETI on floppies if I need to make portable copies. The client and work unit info comes to about 650k. Good idea about the flash drive. Any way you cut it, writing to a floppy is slooooow.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
wahh?
please oh please explain, because id love to get some WUs in at school. bloody mom always turns computer off in the monrings.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
What you do is install the SETI@home program on removable storage like a USB flash drive. If you don't know what I mean by USB flash drive, click here

Now you can run the progam on any computer that can run the version you have instaled on the removable storage, you can continue running the program on a different computer because it's instaled on removable storage.

I don't know if you can store the windows version on a floppy because the size can go over 1.44MB as you analyse the WU am I right?( I' only started using SETI@home 2 days ago so I'm not exactly sure about that, correct me if I'm wrong) Anyway, if that doesn't fit, you can use the command-line version like Spectre said.

To improve speed if you use a floppy, you can copy the folder from the floppy onto the computer's HD and back to the floppy when you leave that computer.

hope this is a clear enough explanation

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by Ranger]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
You can download the non-graphic version of the SETI client software and run it off of some sort of removable media like a floppy drive, USB drive, flash card, etc. that you can take with you.

It's really easy to set up and it just runs in a DOS-type window. Just download it to a folder on your computer, run and register it, then just copy all the files onto the portable drive/disk. Here's a link to the client. I recommend renaming it to something friendlier like "SETI.exe"
alien.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Remember: "Please do not run SETI@home on computers for which you do not have authorization."

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
thnx all.
will try, see if comps at school arent already doomed enuf. i dun think they cud take anymore work before going boom.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I know what you mean aboout junk computers. I just gave a local school a half dozen old Pentium 166MHz Compaq machines and they were glad to get them. That just made me kind of sad. At least they are out of my garage and someone is getting some use out of them.

Just for laughs I ran some work units of one. It finished about one unit a WEEK!

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
that's clever, ranger.

I used to 'secretly' run seti on some servers and pc's at work. sshhhh.

old pc's with the command line version of seti work great. I've gotta AMD 380mhz in the garage Im thinking about bringing in just to do that.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
just to clarify, command line works only on...?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
just to clarify, command line works only on...?

it'll run on anything. Provided you download the right version. the winnt-cmdline version does run on Win95/98/ME. (and of course on NT, win2k, XP)

(though, someone correct me if Im wrong, I know it used to but haven't used those older win OS's in a long time.)

Spectre posted the direct link earlier.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hi all!!

Thanx for the great tip Ranger!!

That's never occured to me (I have a limited brain nowadays - too much alcohol, cigarettes and old age, I guess?)

Unfortunately, my place of work doesn't allow me to run any such software (I don't work in IT) so it might not be applicable in my situation...

BUT, for those that *can* - what a GREAT ploy!!

Thanx again!! "Tip of the Day" me thinks?!!

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
(though, someone correct me if Im wrong, I know it used to but haven't used those older win OS's in a long time.)

Spectre posted the direct link earlier.

It will run on Win95 but you have to do some updates (Winsock, as I recall). Win95 sux anyway. Darn shame you can't just use SETI with DOS and avoid all the overhead of a GUI operating system. I know, I know - use LINUX, but, I am old, set in my ways, and I fear the unknown.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Here are the results after one day using my 2nd copy:

I completed just a bit over half a WU on university computers and my roomate's computer while he was out.

This method can give you a boost if you frequently use computers other than your own.

top topics

join