Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

POLITICS: Kerry Wins Wisconsin...BARELY!

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
As the Badger state tallied final votes in its Democratic primary, a surprisingly close race evolved with Sen. John Kerry eventually winning 40% of the vote followed closely by a surprising 34% for John Edwards. Howard Dean's poor third place showing at around 18% indicates for some a new two man battle to emerge.

Kerry, who just last week maintained a 30 point lead on contenders Dean and Edwards in Wisconsin, is scrambling to spin the Edwards surge to within single digits.

Known as the "not just yet John Kerry" trend, the shift is apparently national as support polls today showed Kerry slipped, Edwards gained and Dean barely hung on.
RasmussenReports.com

For the first time since winning in Iowa, Kerry has seen his national poll numbers slip from 51% among Democrats just three days ago to 43% today. Edwards is a distant second but gaining, now attracting support from 25% of the nation's Democrats up from 18% three days ago. Dean remains stalled at 13%.

Strategists are explaining the Wisconsin vote and national trend as being the newly confident Democrats looking at lagging Bush support and now thinking Kerry's strength of "electability" to be in the bag. Feeling some breathing room, they are then surging for Edwards on issues like trade. The North Carolina Senator brags being the only candidate against the job letting agreement NAFTA, and promises a fight for "fair" trade against "free" trade Bush.

Assisting Edwards in Wisconsin were endorsements from major papers in Milwaukee and Madison. Some also say the open voter policy of Wisconsin allowing both Independents and Republicans to vote helped the conservative Democrat as well, not to mention the recent allegations surrounding Kerry.

But all in all, Kerry remains far and away the front-runner du jour following his Wisconsin victory. With approximately 75 percent of delegates still to be awarded in national contests, Super Tuesday comes in just two weeks.

Dean assured supporters after the race "we are not done" but will surely face increased pressure to bow out now. A "major event" is scheduled for Dean Wednesday. At issue on a possible Dean withdrawl, will he continue to lean his support in Edwards direction?

Related ATSNN News Stories:
Polier Denies Kerry Rumor
Kerry Wins DC and Nevada

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion
Kerry Too Ugly to Win

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Edwards is up 40-37% over Kerry on FOX. I hope that stays that way as I voted for Edwards and if he wins this state it could change alot in the democratic primarys IMO.

This was a great voting day for my state and I must admit, Im pretty proud we showed up to express our opinions.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
Edwards is up 40-37% over Kerry on FOX. I hope that stays that way as I voted for Edwards and if he wins this state it could change alot in the democratic primarys IMO.

This was a great voting day for my state and I must admit, Im pretty proud we showed up to express our opinions.

It's very tight and I'm proud of Wisconsin too.

John Edwards right now:

Wisconsin sent a clear message today, objects in mirror are closer than they appear...

Too bad about one minute after Edwards started his speech Kerry interrupted with his. Welcome to the big leagues John.

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by RANT]

new topics

join