It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran close to becoming Nuclear Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
For all those that believe Iran does in no way have the capability to have nuclear weapons check out this article. There has been recent new information released stating that there are still areas that have not been inspected. The argument that they do not have the guts to attack Israel is a cop out IMO. People forget that they have nothing to lose. Their goal is to destroy Israel. Do people honestly believe that they would not want to fulfill their goal because they fear being nuked in return? I just don't buy it. It seems everyone is trying to gather nukes these days and I don't think Iran is any different. Take a look at the info in this article and if it can be debunked, so be it. It just sounds like they are putting every effort into developing real WMDs, unlike Iraq. People keep saying that Iran is stupid and doesn't know what they are doing and that they will just blow themselves up. If they weren't confident in what they were doing, then they wouldn't continue it IMO.

Iran nearing nuclear weapons capability

New revelations on Iran's nuclear ambitions smuggled out of the Islamic republic by a network of the opposition group, the Mujahedin-e Khalq, (MeK), and made available to the Middle East Times, indicates that Iran is very much on the path of becoming a nuclear power.

Iran close to Nuclear weapons

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I reckon it seems fair that Iran has nuclear weapons, it's neighbors do.

Sure Iran's president's a crackpot but he dosen't reaaly run the country; the Grand Ayatollah does. I've never met the guy but I haven't heard too many bad things out of him lately about wanting to nuke anybody.

The only country I now that's ever used a nuke was the U.S.A. So if I was another country that's who I'd be afraid of.

If your crazy neighbor has a rocket launcher do you want a baseball bat?

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

For all those that believe Iran does in no way have the capability to have nuclear weapons check out this article.

New revelations on Iran's nuclear ambitions smuggled out of the Islamic republic by a network of the opposition group, the Mujahedin-e Khalq, (MeK). "It is stunning," Alireza Jafarzadeh, author of "The Iran Threat: President Ahmadinejad and the Coming Nuclear Crisis,"

The stunning information – which, of course, could not be independently verified – involves top missile experts in nuclear weapons; The MeK report breaks down Iran's two nuclear sections which had not been exposed yet.

Activities at the highly secretive site are under 24-hour watch by security forces. According to a classified directive issued by the center's intelligence office, all personnel working at the site have been instructed to conceal the location, even from their family members.

The MeK report mentions 12 interrelated tasks for building an atomic bomb are being developed at this site; they include: 1. Scientists here are producing Polonium-210 and Beryllium for a trigger for the atomic bomb.
Copyright © 2007 News World Communications Inc.
www.metimes.com...

I would want to know who FUNDS the MeK. I see the story says “opposition group” but I want to know where they are located, who is involved and what agency - the CIA? - is paying for this information? We know the Bush43 Administration is agitating for trouble with Iran. How can I trust this is not disinformation coming out of the Republican National Committee? Note the story was copyrighted in 2007. And I've never heard of the Middle East times. Where are they located?

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

The middle east times is a division of United Press International I believe. I did notice that it was copyrighted in 2007. But, check this out:

The 11-page report obtained by The Associated Press said Iran "has not suspended its enrichment-related activities," despite two sets of U.N. Security Council sanctions over fears the program might be used to make weapons-grade uranium instead of the nuclear fuel Iran says it is interested in.

IAEA

But as you state, I wouldn't put it past this administration to bring out old stories as disinformation just to spark a flame with Iran. It seems they will do anything to justify attacking Iran. But, I still do believe that they have or are close to having nukes. I just have a hard time believing anything that these "agencies" report stating that no one should continue to worry about Iran.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
iran isn't developing nuclear weapons and all the world's govt's know it. there are just a few govt's out there trying to convince their ppl there is an iranian nuclear threat. seems to work on a few ppl at least...

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

posted by palehorse23
But as you state, I wouldn't put it past this administration to bring out old stories as disinformation just to spark a flame with Iran. It seems they will do anything to justify attacking Iran. But, I still do believe that they have or are close to having nukes. I just have a hard time believing anything that these "agencies" report stating that no one should continue to worry about Iran.

Good points. I still recall the old time Michelin Guide to Europe. There was a competitor named Fordor. I subscribed to several English car mags at the time, and a couple of them - in the 1960s - mocked the low quality and all too many errors in Fodors. Some car writers averred it was owned by the CIA. Later revelations proved that critique to be correct. The CIA had used Fodors as a cover or front.

I am not at all convinced that the threats made by Iran’s Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whose term expires in August 2009, are to be taken seriously. He knows how to “pull our string” and that gets him support at home where the Iranian economy is in the doldrums. Threats to NUKE Israel serve him as a distraction. He is eligible to be re-elected to a second 4 year term so we may not be rid of him in ‘09. And, if he does not run again, his successor could turn out to be worse from our point of view. The last Iranian president we “liked” was Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, 1989 to 1997.

I say it is not to be taken seriously - Iran’s threat to bomb Israel - because Israel has 50-300 nuclear bombs and the means to deliver them. Even if you accept the F16s can fly one way only missions to Iran. I’m sure that would not deter more volunteers in the IDF - or is it IAF? - to fly a retaliatory strike than planes they have. Just pulling our string again!

Now, I’m deeply disappointed the US has allowed both India and Pakistan to develop nuclear “devices.” I have not heard anyone say either country has a bomb but both have exploded “devices.” As is also the case with North Korea. Because we allowed Israel to have nukes outside the NPT, we have lost our edge in asking others to NOT go nuclear. Bad move on our part and what we are learning is that making atom bombs is now just ordinary level technology. I hope we do not live to regret that oversight.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
People are worried Iran is going to produce a URANIUM nuclear bomb? Weird. We're scared they're going to get 1940s weapons? They've invaded less people than we have.

Not to mention a fatwa was issued which makes it illegal for Iran to posess nuclear weapons.

If we have nuclear power, they should be allowed to have it as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

posted by dave420
People are worried Iran is going to produce a URANIUM nuclear bomb? Weird. We're scared they're going to get 1940s weapons? They've invaded less people than we have. Not to mention a fatwa was issued which makes it illegal for Iran to possess nuclear weapons. If we have nuclear power, they should be allowed to have it as well.

I am pretty sure Israel had nukes in the 1973 Yom Kippur War because I have read that the Israeli PM warned the Egyptian pres - Anwar Sadat or Hosni Mubarak - that IF Egypt overwhelmed Israel, the LAST act of his government would be to BLOW the Aswan High Dam. That would release a wall of water rushing up the Nile to the Mediterranean Sea destroying much of Cairo and Alexandria and killing several 10s of millions of Egyptians. It turned out the Israelis were able to halt the Egyptian advance and then turn it back, finally ending at the Nile River.

I am pretty sure that Israel acquired both the necessary fissionable material and the technological know-how in the period 1967-1973. Nixon was deep into Watergate at the time and was not too much worried over nuclear proliferation especially by Israel which has always enjoyed a special status in America's Middle East foreign policy. I also believe both the nuke material and bomb making know-how came from France. Iranian inspired tit for tat we don't want or need in the Middle East but without a definitive US policy that tragedy could come to pass. The only Israeli whistleblower has been in an Israeli prison since the mid-1980s.

We (America) have let this Middle East pot boil far too long. it's been 60 years since we lighted the fire in 1948. It is up to us to turn it off. No other country can do that. And we don't seem too much interested in doing it. We've let this 'thing' simmer for half a century. Periodically we hold 'side shows' like Camp David, Oslo and the latest, Annapolis. ALL photo-ops. ALL legacy scrapbooks.

[edit on 2/28/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Why does it really matter if they get Nuclear bombs. It almost seems like the powers that be want to get people on this band wagon. Sure they say crazy things but would they Nuke somebody. If so who Israel, that would be strange what would happen to all thier alies and friends that surround Israel. A little fallout cant be good for them. Will they use it in the future if they get one. If so wouldnt the USA have a I told you so to the world and eveybody would take there ability to use them out. I dont think they would end up using them they would be a smoldering pile of dust before thier missles even landed. All that would be left is a story about how they used to exist. End of story.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

posted by goblue
Why does it really matter if they get Nuclear bombs. It almost seems like the powers that be want to get people on this band wagon. Sure they say crazy things but would they Nuke somebody.

August 6, and August 9 1945. The US employed air burst delivery method. We might have used ground burst but probably we were afraid the impact would disable the atomic detonating device. In both bombs, about 2,000 pounds of TNT enclosed the nuclear parts of the bomb and would have been detonated if the atomic part failed to function. That - how to achieve a critical mass when you wanted it - was the major “secret” of the atomic bomb.

After Hiroshima, the Emperor was assured by the Imperial General Staff that the US did not have more atomic bombs. Nagasaki gave the lie to that. Japan surrendered on August 15, but did not sign the papers until September 2, 1945, in Tokyo Bay on board the USS Missouri. Although the “Mighty Mo” was comparatively new to the war, President Truman chose it to hold the war ending ceremony on. RHIP.

Air bursts produce only a small fraction of the fallout material a ground burst would create. Assuming Iran fired the first shot, and laid a missile into Tel Aviv, there would be enough fall out to cause an evacuation of the inland portions of Israel running perhaps 40-50 miles inland from Tel Aviv. Israel would likely respond by sending 5-6 F16s laden with one A-bomb each. Tehran and Persepolis would be top targets. Oil fields would most likely receive the other bombs.

Iran might lose 3-4 million people but out of a population of 65 million, that is a sustainable loss. Iran would immediately block the Strait of Hormuz, thereby shutting off about 30% of the world’s crude oil supply. If you think $100 crude is high, what do you think about $500 crude? $20 a gallon over here. At last, America is going GREEN!

Would the war enlarge? Would Pakistan invade Kashmir and atom bomb New Delhi? Would India strike Karachi in retaliation? Who knows. Would North Korea atom bomb Japan? Maybe. Maybe 15-20 atom bombs would be exchanged by enemies and perceived enemies. Total casualties? Around 45-60 million people. Sustainable losses out of a world population pushing 7 billion.

[edit on 2/28/2008 by donwhite]

top topics

join