It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Global Cooling Myth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Study debunks 'global cooling' concern of '70s

The supposed "global cooling" consensus among scientists in the 1970s — frequently offered by global-warming skeptics as proof that climatologists can't make up their minds — is a myth, according to a survey of the scientific literature of the era.

But Thomas Peterson of the National Climatic Data Center surveyed dozens of peer-reviewed scientific articles from 1965 to 1979 and found that only seven supported global cooling, while 44 predicted warming. Peterson says 20 others were neutral in their assessments of climate trends.

"A review of the literature suggests that, to the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking about the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales."

More...

If correct, that clears that up.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Good post Loam

I myself am unsure about the whole thingI dont know what is right and what is wrong. Its really hard to say because we simply dont have enough data to support either theory. The amount of data required would be phenomenal to confirm anything.

If I had to choose I would lean towards global warming rather than cooling due to the reduction in the ice cap and the pattern of storm weather becoming less frequent but more severe

Starred and Flagged

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here is some information from wikipedia. I do not really care about the topic that much so I'm not going to try to validate all this information but it seems like there were many sources in the 1970's that said the world was cooling.

en.wikipedia.org...

1970 SCEP report
1971 Paper on Warming and Cooling Factors
1974 and 1972 National Science Board
1975 National Academy of Sciences report
1975 Newsweek article
1980 Cosmos series with Carl Sagan

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
From what I understand, peoples, geologically short term warming, increases ice melt in the northen hemisphere.This means more fresh water escaping land into the sea. The fresh water dilutes the warm salty tropical water that circulates the globe, sometimes known as the conveyor belt, which works simply by the warm water (containing salt) running into the fresh water. This action causes the warm water to "dive" effectivly keeping the conveyor belt running. Too much fresh water, however, dilutes the warm salty water, slowing, and as shown many times in history, actually stopping the belt. When this occurs, there is now no more warm water being brought up from the tropics to the north. This allows colder temperatures to basically spread further, eventually freezing practicaly the entire northern hemisphere.This also leaves very warm conditions in the south.This process is very well understood by science, and is really the big worry.It doesn't matter if people think it's warming or cooling, there is no debate. It's doing both. What is frightening is the speed at which changes are and will occur. Can you imagine the northern hemisphere frozen to the tropics, and the southern hemipshere in bone dry drought. It's happened before, it's a cycle.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There has been global warming. There has been global cooling. This has happened many times. And often much more extreme than now. The world survived. Life will go on.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to either scenario. If it's cooling, the tropics where I live will be less of an oven. If it's warming, then there will be more precipitation. That's good because it's always cool and nice after the rain here.

It's a win either way! The only ones who actually will be affected negatively are those in the temperate zones either from severe winter via the first scenario or increased desertification in the second scenario. Whatever. You'll get by.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Hey good news it's been reported by NOAA that the ICE Capps are back almost to the normal so-called levels. Humans should stop trying to fix things .
We only screw them up worse

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
That follows a near record level of snow for the northern hemisphere. Amazing how fast things change.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The record snow falls, lately, after, a period of record melting, are to me a sign that the big freeze is not far away. I don't know whats wrong with people that think that global warming is gonna be kind of allright, cause its not. I've said it before and I'll say it again, global warming ACTUALLY means freezing. The northern hemisphere is going to freeze over, very quickly, and stay that way for a unknown length of time, the southern hemisphere will be at the same time a place of nothing but drought, the tropics will be everything in between. I watched a doco on sbs involving a lot of scientists from all over the world, this was about five years ago, the bloke doing the ocean floor core readings clearly explained the layers and how they correspondered to saline levels being diluted because of increased fresh water, which in turn slowed the gulf stream.At the time (five years ago) he said how the gulf stream had slowed around 7% and he said that we've probably got around ten to twenty years tops! well, the gulf stream has now slowed 30%, on top of that, they recording temperature changes not seen in a hundred years all over the world!
the scientists on the program said that when the changes come it will be like snapping your fingers, and they appeared to me, genuinly concerened.
I really do believe that our current enviroment is a house of cards and someone just pulled another card out.This is not depressing doom and gloom thinking, it is simply reality that most people don't want to deal with.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by skribal

Let me get this straight... global warming melts the ice caps. The fresh water runoff stops the Jet Stream. The Jet Stream being stopped makes it colder in the northern latitudes. The northern latitudes freeze over. Soooo... why doesn't the return of the ice caps reverse/correct the process?

You just described a self-correcting mechanism undergoing a correction cycle.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
hello redneck, first of all I really am a self opininated, knowledgeless little so and so,its true i dont know much at all,or have any facts on hand to back me up, but I think the answer there is because when the gulf stream stops and the top end freezes over that's pretty much it for a while, the warmer water cant move upwards because the movment of water has basicly stopped....its frozen.
Ice cores from north and south pole proves that the extremes of difference are at th same time period as each other, also they show that we are way long ov
erdue. I hope this answer helps, cheers
also I think that once the process of dilution has begun, it takes a lot of time to correct

[edit on 1-3-2008 by skribal]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Actually, I will try to be a bit more precise, the fresh water dilutes the the warm salty water, its that process that slows the belt of warm water, i think that in order for conditions to correct themselves, it would take a real long time.The fact is there is a lot more warmer water in the north now, and I do know that warm water freezes fastre then cold water.....leading me to think that the big freeze could happen very quickly, hope that is clearer
Oh, and I suppose I should answer your question!
"why doesnt snowfall correct the situation"
UM, I think that it probably will, given time, its the process that must come first,if all of a sudden normal temps and seasons returned, that wont stop the fact that the gulf stream has already been affected. I think that in fact the massive snowfalls and very sudden temperature changes we are experiecing around the the world now are a harbringer of thing s to come soon.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by skribal

Well, the facts themselves that you present are accurate. Sufficient fresh water can dilute the Jet Stream and cause it to stop functioning. But think forward through the scenario, and you will see that it corrects itself. That was my point.

As for the time taken to restart, it would be a function of the time required for the salt in the sea water to infiltrate the fresh water, which would be a very short time (dissolve some salt into a glass of water and see how long it takes to dissolve). Also, the Jet Stream is constantly bombarded by fresh water from normal summer meltings; it will take a massive influx to completely stop it, something on the order of a major glacial melt. We are not experiencing that level of meltwater. In fact, the recent reports on the increase of ice in the northern hemisphere would seem to indicate a decrease in this year's runoff. In short, the Stream should be back to full force soon.

It's very easy to get bombarded with 'scientific facts' and swayed to believe a thing, but the best way to make sure you are correct is to simply sit down and think through the argument. How reliable is the source? Is it supported by other independent sources? How accurately were any experiments conducted? And finally, does this argument really make sense?

If I can bring anything to the ATS community, it is to help others to look past rhetoric and choreographed reports that try to disguise politics as science. once someone has learned to do that, the world is transparent to them. You don't need a degree to understand the world, only a open mind.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
redneck, that was a clear concise, actually pretty educating reply,thankyou.When I read your first post, and went to reply,all of a sudden I realized I was confused.
I simply found myself stuck when it came to why doesn't it correct itself, but maybe it would take a lot more to bring things back to normal than maybe just this years or the next seasons snowfalls.In my mind, things just aren't normal by any means, and to me at least, the knowledge of the past events in history should be put up to see more clearer, in that, from way way back to only recently they reported huge cracks at least a hundered k's wide and another huge breakaway of ice, also the ice sheets are much more thinner then they first thought, and are melting at a massive rate, so there is concern for there to be enough fresh water.But not only that, it has been shown that the sheer collapse of the egyptian empire coincided with massive climatic change that occurred from really one year to the next, and lasted for a forty year period, yes, then things returned to normal, I still think, and I do hear what you are saying,that yes it will correct itself, but not before some dramatic events occur first. I shudder at the thought of what happen even if we just had a very short period of sudden cooling, such as occured a few centuries ago, They had a couple of years when winter just seemed to stay! Todays economic climate,I don't think could handle that.
Yes I also agree with you about how reliable are the facts, fear mongering and such, but all the same how many times did moses tell them to get on the ark...........and then it started to rain (thats if it was moses,i cant remember.
I don't want to cry wolf, but the signs do seem to be pointing in the right direction as far as science is concerned, I think we should be ready for anything because we really only know so much about history the rest is pretty much conjecture, I understand what you are saying (even if I don't understand what im saying) But what about the ice cores?, cause they sure do paint a picture that goes back eons, and are highly accurate, thay tell us that there has been tens of thousands of mini ice ages in the last million years easy, and that we are, going by the cores, long overdue for another,couple that knowledge with recent findings, well it makes you stop and think.
Probably the only real reason for my believing this scenario is because I watched a program, once, on telly.OK thats not a good base, true, but the things they were saying made a heckof a lot of sense,maybe i'll see if i can get a hold of the program again, and maybe reeducate, Its been ,in my memeory at least eighteen to twenty years since I remember it being forty degrees at seven oclock at night,where i am (west australia) we are having a heat wave but this one is differnt, the doctor, a coastal wind that blows in every evening hasnt been coming, leaving me with thirty eight degrees at eleven ockock at night, that just isnt normal.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Indy

Unfortunately, hominid species have a horrible track record of surviving climate changes. We're alone on this world for a reason.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Gulf Stream Will Not Shut Down, Science Magazines Admit
Written By: James M. Taylor
Published In: Environment News
Publication Date: February 1, 2007
Publisher: The Heartland Institute

Put away your snow shovels, ear muffs, and portable indoor heaters, scientists now say, because global warming will not trigger a new ice age after all.

Putting to rest nearly a decade of scare scenarios involving polar ice caps quickly reclaiming Canada, the northern United States, and northern and central Europe, scientists now report there is no chance of the Gulf Stream shutting down any time soon, regardless of any predicted global warming.

Science magazine, New Scientist, and other scientific publications reported in November 2006 that new research shows no recent slowdown in the Gulf Stream.

Moreover, reported the November 7 New Scientist, "models of the North Atlantic show that a shutdown would not occur in the way oceanographers had expected."

The above except is from:
www.heartland.org...

I think it would be very beneficial for people to read the entire article.

If I can bring anything to the ATS community, it is to help others to look past rhetoric and choreographed reports that try to disguise politics as science. once someone has learned to do that, the world is transparent to them. You don't need a degree to understand the world, only a open mind.

TheRedneck

TheRedneck is a very wise man. I have encountered him before, and his handle belies him. I suspect he is far from a redneck.
My hats off to Redneck.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

ok ok I think I HAD better re-educate myself!!
still, in my neck of the woods, it has been so dry that up until a recent major thunderstorm up north, hundreds of miles natural bush was dying, many many trees have died.Up north (I mean west australia inland not right up) in the desert country the bush has been dying, and this is desert scrub used to surving sometimes years without rain, so to me something is up, maybe it wont happen the way they say, but it still sure doesn't look good, and yes don't judge a book by it's cover! I can tell already that redneck knows his stuff!
also, just saying that the article you displayed is a year old, and some pretty big events have happened since, the ice in the north continues to melt, and down under, despite the floods over east, we are combatting drought and its getting worse each year.cheers

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by skribal

And thank you, skribal, for understanding my point.

It may indeed be true that we are looking at a global change in climate. I can't prove otherwise, but I can present an alternate side to the discussion. It's a pleasure to debate this with someone who has an open mind, whether you end up agreeing with me or not.

As to the apparent climactic changes that have been occurring recently, I cannot fully explain them scientifically. I can state the following experiences:

This past summer was one of the worst droughts we have had on record (Alabama).

We have not had a significant snowfall in decades. When I was younger, we typically had one every 3-4 years.

This spring has had somewhat stronger storms than we usually have, on a more frequent basis.

That said, I tend to attribute these things to chaotic climactic conditions, otherwise commonly known as weather. If I look at them with a conspiratorial eye, I can envision patterns and trends that could be interpreted as a coming catastrophe; when I look at them with a different bent, they appear to be 'normal' weather aberrations such as have been occurring since history was written. So I dismiss them as temporary and insignificant in the long run.

As for the ice cores, we know that they are formed from seawater. We also know that seawater can and does absorb CO2, forming a small amount of carbonic acid. This alone makes me question (not discredit, mind you) the accuracy. I must admit that I have not researched the ice core samples myself, and therefore can only speculate on them. But this seems a feasible concern as to accuracy.

Oh, and that was Noah with the ark.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
We are all educating ourselves. That is what makes us human and alive.
My favorite quote is from Michaelangelo:
I am still Learning.
When we stop learning, we die.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
TheRedneck is a very wise man. I have encountered him before, and his handle belies him. I suspect he is far from a redneck.
My hats off to Redneck.

My humble thanks to you, Prof, but I am afraid your suspicions are unfounded. The name is not a misnomer; consider it instead as a denial to stereotypes. I chose the avatar at left in part because it closely mirrors my actual appearance.

I hope that doesn't disappoint you.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join