It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Milestone For Mind-Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

A Milestone For Mind-Control

www.techtree.com

Telepathy doesn't exist, but there are companies working towards developing technologies that could translate what you're thinking into digital data.
Emotiv Systems had introduced one such device called the EPOC headset; it made waves at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco last year. The company is out with the latest prototype of the headset, which allows users to control their avatar in games using nothing just their mind.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gizmag.com
www.sciencedaily.com
www.staticbrain.com
www.emotiv.com
www.neurosky.biz

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New Toys Read Brain Waves
Seeded Alien Technology shows up in Toys?

[edit on 22-2-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is a report on the latest prototype of a device that can "translate what you're thinking into digital data."

The article also mentions that not only can this device "pick up on the wearer's thoughts and expressions," but it can also "detect more than 30 different human emotions."

And it's all just fun and games, right?

Not so fast, this is just the latest consumer version.

If one's "thoughts, expressions and emotions" can be translated into digital data, apart from assisting the mobility impaired, consider how that data could be used nefariously.

No doubt the military has had something much better, for far longer.

Counterparts to this technology, and potential abuses, have been examined in a couple of films that come quickly to mind:

Brainstorm

Strange Days

How long will it be before speculative fiction becomes hard core fact?

And will we even know when it happens?

Strange days, indeed.

www.techtree.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I wonder if they ever boot up Haarp for a laugh to see if they still got what it takes?

Seriously Nikola Tesla probably the most uderrated scientist of all time!

If any of you guy's have time check out some of the patents he registered!!!

He could have single handidly took this world to another dimension given the resources we have today

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ian990003100

Yeah, Tesla was a genius and a visionary but I'm not sure he had anything to do with mind control.

But thanks for the post!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Lets see,why would the citizenry be suspicous of our own Gov.? After a decade or so of uncheked greed,Kamikaze government,Lying Media, Repeated Stolen Elections,and Constitution Gutting Were odviously on a Hellbound Train to Extinction Big brother is poised to exterminate us all and eat the zyclon jam(the residue of all life on earth). People had best pull their heads out of their asses and resist this new fascisim while they still can!!
Hatchetman

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

You'll appreciate this one.

www.blacklistednews.com...

This technology was first seen in Minority Report in 1999...But only as sci-fi. I think media prepares us for things which are being released. And I believe much of it was developed using alien technology as a model for further human innovation. We've come about by leaps and bounds. This is no coincidence.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Thank you for spreading the word on this, I put myself on their list months ago and am looking forward to playing this game when they fix all the bugs. I've been hooked on video games since the Atari 2600 and can't wait for this emotiv thing to go to mass production.

Mind controlled video games, I don't care what if anything it does to my brain as far as negative side effects go. The mind is a beautiful thing to manipulate.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think this company is crazy. The are developing this for games? Forget about the "play nice" rules (sorry for the Everquest reference for you old school gamers) what is going to come out with this?

Basically, at this time we can honestly say that gaming doesn't lead to violence. I'm not going to say that this will but what I will say is that would open new doors. Of course it could be a good thing because anything that you are thinking would have to be programed into the game. So people who are thinking those over the edge ideas will be reinforced by the idea that the programmers didn't even put that into the game. So we have our checks and balances but it kind of depends on where games go in the future.

As far as the government is involved. At this point, correct me if anybody has any other ideas but this could only be used like a advanced polygraph. It's not controlling what you are thinking, but more so writing what you are thinking in a way that computers can read. Although, if they could ever figure out the reverse which would be much harder I would think we could be in trouble.

I am thinking that if you know enough about the brain for a computer to be able to translate that into binary then all you would have to do is reverse that to do the opposite which would let them tell the brain what to do. Maybe with some sort of electrical current, or with certain chemicals for sure. But of course that would involve injections or some sort of micro technology which in a way go hand in hand.

I am just thinking into this, I in no way am qualified to make a professional assessment on what they can and can't do. Maybe with some studying but not at this point so don't just to conclusions.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
First of all .. From all evidence seen this tech is a one way street.

The device monitors brain activity.. It doesn't control your mind at all. The only thing 'mind control' about this is your using your mind + a technilogical gaget to control something else.. IE a computer program.

Though it does broke a few interesting uses.. Like for increased reaction times in military applications .. Ie tank targeting.. fighters etc

When they are able to input information directly into the brain using a device such as this .. WOOOH .. Talk about taking 4 years of collage in just a few days.. or hours. (Something i have thought about actually) It does raise concerns about manipulating peoples though patterns etc

I will repeat though... This device (As far as i know) has no ability to effect you.. It is just like a super mouse .. but fits on your head lol

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I wouldn't want this to be used on the battlefield at all. Some people, vary few respond to war a little differently. I just wouldn't want their first instinct controlling a machine that determines life or death. That's all I am going to say about that.

My only worries considering the conspiracy side of things is that if they know enough to accurately translate what the brain is thinking and make a computer do, then how far away could the be from the other way around. That my friends has no good civilian would use that I can think of so we aren't going to hear about it in any sort of product.

And I wouldn't call it worried, just thinking.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

You'll appreciate this one.

www.blacklistednews.com...

This technology was first seen in Minority Report in 1999...But only as sci-fi. I think media prepares us for things which are being released. And I believe much of it was developed using alien technology as a model for further human innovation. We've come about by leaps and bounds. This is no coincidence.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by projectvxn]

I Think that like countries who have more people and influence being better at sport so rings true for our planet and gaining knowledge of better technologies. The more people the more chances there are for scientific gurus to be born. And the world population has basically exploded at an exponential rate in the last hundred years, so to, you hear people saying that our technological advancements have come about in leaps and bounds. This is no coincidence.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

No doubt the military has had something much better, for far longer.

No doubt... and I, for one, would be surprised if this kind of software could be developed and released commercially without the gov/military already having applications for this far beyond a "one way street".

I have, somewhere in my email a ppt for to or for DARPA that outlines the near future soldier and shows them engaging in this type of visual-command-control. It heavily emphasizes biometric enhancements on the battlefield.

When I find it, if it is not too late, I will edit into this post and put it up, it is well worth seeing.
Cheers!

HERE'S A DARPA LINK... still searching...

I was going thourgh my email and I realized all of the links I was using came from... AN AWESOME THREAD ON ATS! Sorry, I did not mean to lead you on but I forwarded some of the links to someone I was doing research for. Anyway, let's hear it for "IgnoranceIsntBliss" (and the money I made using his links)

HERE IT IS

And while the focus of his/her thread is AI/AGI I think it speaks to the topic of this thread.

Cheers again!

[edit on 13-8-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

join