It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hole on mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I guess this has probably been disscussed before but im new here and would like to explore this.

Black spots have been discovered on Mars that are so dark that nothing inside can be seen. Quite possibly, the spots are entrances to deep underground caves capable of protecting Martian life, were it to exist. The unusual hole pictured above was found on the slopes of the giant Martian volcano Arsia Mons. The above image was captured three weeks ago by the HiRISE instrument onboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter currently circling Mars. The holes were originally identified on lower resolution images from the Mars Odyssey spacecraft, The above hole is about the size of a football field and is so deep that it is completely unilluminated by the Sun. Such holes and underground caves might be prime targets for future spacecraft, robots, and even the next generation of human interplanetary explorers.

what are your opinions

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm also curious about this, any takers?

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Nasa Employees' paintbrush oops?

Seriously though, Any ideas? very interesting picture.

[edit on 2/22/2008 by The Prodigy]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Here's links to a couple of threads on this subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wild!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
We discussed it in the Forest on Mars thread.

I believe that when seen from another angle you can see the walls on one side of the shaft.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What inrtigues me about these images is the apparent "drift" of matter from them.
If you look at the images (sorry I am unable to cut and paste image) I know all will see a deposit to who knows what direction, coming from there.

The recent JPL story is that they have better enhanced photos that show a side to the cauldera (I mean in the sense os "a bowl"). I am no expert, but I know the difference between a kiss and a slap in the face with dead fish.
Looks like meager attempt at manipulation to me. (I'm no expert).

[edit on 2/22/2008 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It is either a sink hole or a cave entrance. If it is a cave. How deep does it go? What is it sides? Could water be down in that cave, like caves on Earth have water? Or is it hiding a city? I would bet that there is just water in that cave.
We won't know until a probe is sent into it.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
my question is, what region of mars was this photo taken?

I do think life exist underneath the planet, if their was a way into it, this is where they would probably be going in at.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Lord....this could be anything. From "lens junk" to an actual hole. There's no friggin telling what that is. Could just be some sort of shadow. Somehow I don't think the pages of speculation to follow will solve anything as to what it is though.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ian990003100

Those would be removed pixels. This is typical of NASA. This is just alot more apparent.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
this has been discussed before IN DEPTH I recommend getting into the search function and "catching up" on this old discussion thanks!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I believe that when seen from another angle you can see the walls on one side of the shaft.

Here is it

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

There you go. Our resident image expert comes to the rescue.

The scenario i believe that is supplied for this is underground tunnels collapsing. Similar actions happen on earth, so it is plausible.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There's Guatemala city example:

What's impressive, imho, is the appearance of the hole walls on Mars: they looks like the ones of a drilled hole

Edit to add: source
news.taume.com...

[edit on 23/2/2008 by internos]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I bet there are some wondering what it'd be like if they could go cave diving there.W hile some just want to say I bet there's a bigger hole in the 7th planet.

top topics

join