It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Alert On TV 02/22/08 1:35PM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Now this is strange!

Today 02/22/08 I was watching tv and a black screen came on with the large words "Alert" written is white letters . It was at 1:35pm Eastern time.

I didn't have time to read all that it said because my cable turned off and a snowey screen came on and the cable box was totally turned off!

The first thing I thought was that something very bad had happened and all comunications was off.

I immediatly came to my computer to see if it was on and it was.

My husband checked all of the other tv's in the house and they were off too.

After about 5 minutes the cable came back on but I'm still curious as to what caused this.

Has this happened to anyone else?

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I didn't see it, but it has to be from the 'winter conditions' which, after all these years, still manage to cause such panic. You would think that considering it is winter a snow storm would be expected, but the news has to make such a big deal out of it like its the most important thing happening in the world right now!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
-its always stuff like this that makes me laugh

conspiracy theorists who tend to show manic tendencies and paranoia that something is happening

you shouldnt have to live in fear of something gonna happen

it ruins the quality of life

most emergency tests take place around noonish time anyhoo

[edit on 22-2-2008 by MurderCityDevil]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I could understand that if we were having bad weather but it's sunshining and a clear day , 80 degrees here in Tampa.
By the way, we have Verizon Cable.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

What city and state do you live in?

Maybe it was a test like the old EBS tests and something at the cable company glitched.

Maybe the cable company is preparing screens or alerts for future use

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
big time storms in many parts of the country, could be related. Have you tried calling your cable company? They might have an answer for you.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

And you will be one of many that will be running for your life when it does happen and then you'll say " why didn't I listen to those paranoid people on ATS ?"

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

What is wrong with the op asking if this happened to anyone else? This was obviously a concern, or something that didnt happen very often. I would have asked to, especially if I were in a place that is was clear and sunny. There are alot of threads on this site that you could attack for being crazy, but I dont think this was one of them, imo it was a legitimate conern and question asked.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Nothing quite that extensive happened here, but I did get loud buzzing and the picture going off like when the normal emergency broadcast sytem does it's thing every first Wednesday.

I got up to look, but it didn't last long and nothing was said.

That was a couple of hours ago, I am in the midwest.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

there is nothing wrong with her asking

a majority of the posts here most people post before actually looking into anything and finding out on their own, instead post it and see what others think

its like saying

"i woke up this morning and this car followed me all the way to work but then right when i turned left he went right"

do you think he knows i belong to ATS, am i being tagged for reading about conspiracy theories?
anyone else have this happened to them?
what are you thoughts?
they drivers eyes looked like slits, was he a reptilian overlord working secretly for cnn to expose my postings?"

in honesty no, the car was just going the same way i was, thats it

p.s. oh and i dont own a car, i ride a bike

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
I could understand that if we were having bad weather but it's sunshining and a clear day , 80 degrees here in Tampa.
By the way, we have Verizon Cable.

I read on prison planet about 5 minutes ago that a passenger jets front nose gear will not go down and they are circling to use up fuel, I think it was somewhere in florida.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Well,if nobody found crystal fishbawls with "So Long and Thanks For All The Fish" engraved, i think that it is not serious.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying, however this is a forum, where discussion takes place. If someone wants to discuss a car following them then turning left like you described, so be it. It is better to offer suggestions, and not just say how much what they decided to discuss makes you laugh. It is just kind of rude and trollish imo, thats all I am saying.

I think this day and age with all the crap happening it is good to live with your eyes open. You shouldnt live your life in constant fear, but you would be foolish to just close your eyes and say everything is hunky dory.

I have to say with all honesty, when that EMS alert comes on, it puckers me up a little bit, mostly it is weather, but until they start saying what it is, you never know what the hell is happening. If my TV shut off in the middle of one, I would be concerned also, I would want to know what happened. This is a good place for people to come together, to discuss, so likely this would be a place I would utilize if I couldnt find something anywhere else about it.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I had something like that happen in my house at 4AM a few weeks ago, but it was an emergency alert system (test), but the time of the test on the screen was an hour off.

I think that something is in the works and the recent news of the US/Canada pact to provide the services of each respective country in time of a national disaster should raise some serious red flags for all of us.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil
-its always stuff like this that makes me laugh

conspiracy theorists who tend to show manic tendencies and paranoia that something is happening

you shouldnt have to live in fear of something gonna happen

it ruins the quality of life

most emergency tests take place around noonish time anyhoo

[edit on 22-2-2008 by MurderCityDevil]

Quite rude on your part to make the insinuation of "manic tendencies and paranoia."

If there becomes an increase or a nationwide of EBS in one day and the members here are able to share with one another that it is happening in many areas at the same time then it could in certain situations be a "heads up"

Just because you think that it is a useless post you don't have to verbalize it to make someone else feel bad. It makes you appear lonely and sad.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Yeah, ah'm wid da girl wid da tattoo, what she says!

Click here for more exciting events on 2/22/08

edit to add: Well, not on exactly the day, but it is about the time my system was attacked by viruses...bears looking into IMHO

[edit on 2/25/2008 by Matyas]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I was watching tv last night at about midnight and the EBS came on.
I have never seen this in the middle of the night and I thought it was odd because of the power failure yesterday.
I live in central Florida.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

These are attacks, there are just too many of them, and the media isn't going to let us know anything.

If I am right we should see even more in the near future, both in frequency and intensity.

Keep your system tight and updated, or you could get fried.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas

These are attacks, there are just too many of them, and the media isn't going to let us know anything.

If I am right we should see even more in the near future, both in frequency and intensity.

Keep your system tight and updated, or you could get fried.

Can you explain about keeping my system tight and updated?

What kind of attacks are you referring to?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
Can you explain about keeping my system tight and updated?

What kind of attacks are you referring to?

I am referring to sabotage of the infrastructure. It affects you, because you are completely dependent on the grid, like everyone else.

After cleaning out a dozen viruses I am convinced we have been getting hammered.

Did you know that AVG spyware has over a million signatures in its data base? 1,014,063 I think to be exact.

Spybot S&D jumped to the 110,310 mark. I have to run all my scans in
safe mode now or else it takes days! And I use three antiviral programs,
AVG for email, AntiVir for system, and Symantec is disabled but I use it
as a redundancy measure in safe mode.

Easy Cleaner is the best utility for cleaning up the registry. I don't
touch duplicates, and for files I only use the first three checkmark
boxes. Crap Cleaner is good for everything else.

Do get that Power Defragmenter, it will speed up your system
unbelievably! Runs in DOS with a GUI and it does every file! Set up
Contig beside the program in the same folder.

Threatfire is a pos IMO, too many processes bogs down the memory. And it
seems too intrusive. Counter Spy is way good, but if your cheap like me
you'll not want to spend the extra dime.

I have to do my Ad Aware updates manually now. I just download the
updates and put them in the same directory.

As far as automation, the only updates I get is AVG Antivirus, AntiVir,
Mozilla, T-bird, and Windows XP. Everything else is manual, because with
all the updates running the system bogs down, even if they are scheduled
a fair distance apart. All scans are manual except AVG Antivirus and
Antivir.

As far as guards, AntiVir, SD helper, and COMODO Firewall are my guards.

I am thinking about making more changes in the near future to take advantage of better programs. Hope this helps...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join