It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17th Century Method of solving Terrorist Acts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 11:31 PM
link   
In Indonesia in the 17th Century, The British Naval Ships experienced Terrorism in the form of setting Ships alight and other acts too when in Port. The British, trying everything, came up with an idea that stopped the Terrorism instantly.
When the perpetrator was caught, he was displayed in the town square, British soldiers were ordered to dip their bullets in pig�s blood before putting the bullet in the musket. This act was barbaric for those times, though it stopped the Terrorist Acts instantly.
A true Muslim would not kill another human. So this act was considered justice in those times.
Could someone find out who the officer was, I don't remember exactly.

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 12:16 AM
link   
My neck of the woods -and I've never heard that version of it.
This tale is normally told with regard to Americans fighting the Moros in the Philippines in 1911: and I fancy I remember it being on ATS, in that guise, a year or more ago.
Cheaper than drones and Tomahawks, I'll be bound.

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Probably an urban legend.

The Dutch owned the area during that time period. The only time it fell under British rule was during the Napoleonic Wars of 1811-1816. The British colonial government was tolerant of the peoples and interested in the culture.

(source: www.oneasiatravel.com... and others)

The original source (as I know it) comes from India around the time of Kipling in the 1850's.

By the early 19th century, India was effectively under British rule. India remained a patchwork of states, many of them nominally independant but actually under strong British influences.

In 1857, less than a half century after Britain had taken firm control of India, they had their first serious setback. To this day, the causes of the `Indian Mutiny' are hard to unravel. The dismissal of local rulers, inefficient and unpopular as they might have been, proved to be a flashpoint in certain areas, but the main single cause, believe it or not, was bullets. A rumour, quite possibly true, leaked out that a new type of bullet issued to the troops, many of whom were Muslim, was greased in pig fat. A similar rumour was developed that the bullets were actually greased with cow fat. Pigs are unclean to the muslims and cows holy to the hindus. The British were slow to deny these rumours and even slower to prove that they were either incorrect or that changes had been made. The result was a loosely coordinated mutiny of the Indian battalions of the Bengal Army. Of the 74 battalions, seven remained loyal, twenty were disarmed and the other forty seven mutinied. The mutiny first broke out at Meerut (near Delhi) and soon spread across North India. There were massacres and acts of senseless cruelty on both sides but in the end the mutiny died out.

(taken from website:
www.dataindia.com... )

So -- far from SOLVING anything, we see from history that it actually exacerbated the situation and caused riots.

Acts of mutilation and revenge upon dead soldiers/dying soldiers have never "struck terror" into the hearts of opposing armies. Instead, it incites other acts of anger and revenge.

Personal opinion: history has shown it to be a Dumb Idea. I don't think anything's changed about that.

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thanks guys, I've had a peice jumbled information floating in my head for a while and thought it was appropriate to spill it out and get some more info on the subjuct. Very interesting though!!
Apparently anything to do with pigs, Muslim's don't get their 20 Virgins etc.......

top topics

join