It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus news discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I found this on Yahoo.com:

Bright hazes that mysteriously appear and then disappear on Venus in a matter of days have revealed a new dynamic feature of the planet's cloudy atmosphere that is unlike anything on Earth. The European Space Agency's Venus Monitoring Camera (VMC) captured a series of images showing the development of a bright haze over the southern latitudes of the planet in July 2007. Over a period of days, the high-altitude veil continually brightened and dimmed, moving towards equatorial latitudes and then back towards the south pole.These transient dark and bright markings indicate regions on the cloud-covered world where solar ultraviolet radiation is being absorbed and reflected by sulfuric acid particles, mission scientists said this week.

Gaseous sulfur dioxide and small amounts of water vapor are usually found below altitudes of about 43 miles (70 kilometers) in Venus' carbon-dioxide rich atmosphere. These molecules are usually shrouded from view by cloud layers above that block our view to the surface at visible wavelengths.ESA scientists think the sulfuric acid particles that make up the bright haze are created when some atmospheric process lifts the gaseous sulfur dioxide and water vapor high up above the cloud tops where they are exposed to ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
The UV radiation breaks up the molecules, making them highly reactive. The fragments of the molecules eagerly seek each other out and combine to form the sulfuric acid particles.
"The process is a bit similar to what happens with urban smog over cities," said mission team member Dmitri Titov of the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany.Exactly what causes the sulfur dioxide and water vapor to well up is not known, but Titov says it is likely some internal process of Venus' atmosphere.The transient dark markings on the VMC images are even more of a mystery. They are caused by something that absorbs UV radiation, but scientists don't yet know what the chemical is.

news.yahoo.com...

WOW!!!!! Anybody else know anything about this? I wonder what exactly is causing those markings??

--------------------------------------

Added 'ex' tags and a link

Please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26/2/08 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LHDSceptic1978

Well I doubt it's light coming from Venusian cities. I don't think this is really that new since those of us with telescopes are used to bright regions comming and going on Venus. It seems liekly that the Venusian atmosphere is not homogeneous and contains gaps which allow us to see further down into the atmosphere at times (e.g. Ashen light) I would imagine this is the answer.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I winder if the volcanic activity on Venus has anything to do with it. I have heard that its quite active and maybe the volcanoes expel sulfur

I dont know....just a theory

Good thread

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Just found out that the two Russian probes that went to Venus recorded lightning and thunder claps. Although it was dipsuted for many years, the latest probe "the venus express, confirmed there was such activity. Maybe another possible theory for the flashes?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Since I posted that news article, life has drawn me away from reading the replies. To you two who have taken the time out to help a fellow human being, thank you. I do not know why this subject interests me like it has. I want to believe so much in new planets, new life, etc, but I want hard, irrefutable, infallible proof. You two are leading me into the right direction. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LHDSceptic1978
Since I posted that news article, life has drawn me away from reading the replies. To you two who have taken the time out to help a fellow human being, thank you. I do not know why this subject interests me like it has. I want to believe so much in new planets, new life, etc, but I want hard, irrefutable, infallible proof. You two are leading me into the right direction. Thank you.

Don't try to hard to believe in anything- epecially alien life. if it's out there great. if it's not, the Universe is just as wonderful. Why not get some binoculars or a small telescope and see what the Universe has to offor? I promise you won't be disapointed. Let me know how you get on.

-Paul.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Venus Mysteries Blamed on Colossal Collision

Keystone/ESA/NASA/HO/AP

Venus is made of the same stuff of Earth, but is bone-dry, hot enough to melt lead and has a chokingly thick atmosphere. It even spins backwards.
Astronomers have spent decades trying to explain Venus' mysterious properties.

Now one scientist thinks the planet's formation may explain all: Two huge, protoplanetary bodies collided head-on and merged to form our planetary neighbor, but obliterated nearly all water in the process.

Very interesting story and theory.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join