It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton study: Disk encryption not safe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
www.rlslog.net...
(original source: Wired)

Researchers with Princeton University and the Electronic Frontier Foundation have found a flaw that renders disk encryption systems useless if an intruder has physical access to your computer — say in the case of a stolen laptop or when a computer is left unattended on a desktop in sleep mode or while displaying a password prompt screen.

“Unlike many security problems, this isn’t a minor flaw; it is a fundamental limitation in the way these systems were designed.” The researchers successfully performed the attack on several disk encryption systems — Apple’s FileVault, Microsoft’s BitLocker, as well as TrueCrypt and dm-crypt — but said they have no reason to believe it won’t work on other disk encryption systems as well

this shouldnt be a big shock to anyone, but the video is extremely entertaining / informative. I especially like the technique using compressed air to cool the RAM down.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Thank you for that You Tube link - it was very informative and interesting. I knew that these types of attacks were out there, but to see it in action so them being done so quickly is amazing.
I will never use sleep mode again.

join