It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Theory of Dark Matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Before we begin, I want to thank sparda4355 for the encouragement to post this thread. Without his prodding, it may never have been released to the public. People think I am crazy enough as it is.

How Many Dimensions

We currently exist in three dimensions. While doing so, we travel along a fourth (time). In addition to that, there are an unknown amount of additional dimensions that have all been theorized in a multitude of theories. This number ranges from 10 to 28 from what I have seen. Mathematically, this is all believed to be true. Stephen Hawkin has even measured at least one of them, as detailed in his book, The Universe in a Nutshell.

The number of additional dimensions is not important. What is important is that there are additional dimensions. How this is relevant to dark matter will soon become apparent.

Gravitational Lensing

Light is affected by gravity, and can bend in space due to the proximity of gravity wells (stars, planets, black holes, etc.). This bending can be detected by observing a known object in space (Galaxy X) from different angles, providing a way to map the area of gravitational effects.

The History Channel has a show entitled "The Universe: Dark Matter/Dark Energy" that explains how this works in a graphical representation. I found it very educational for understanding how exactly this phenomenon functions. Through the use of this tool, scientists have mapped out the areas of space they believe contain dark matter.

Explanation of Dark Matter

This is the part I disagree with. Scientists claim that dark matter is a particle that is extremely massive, but can't be detected by any known instrument. In addition, it is bombarding us billions of times a day while passing right through our bodies, our cities, our planet, without any negative effect.

One of their experiments was to freeze dwerium (probably have spelling wrong - really ultra dense atom) in a densely packed matrix (at the atomic level) to near absolute zero. This was done half a mile below the surface, to eliminate all the standard space garbage we are bombarded with. If a dark matter hits any of these atoms while it passes, it will immediately register movement, which is a temperature increase.

In two years of non stop monitoring, they have received 0 hits...although they still believe that billions of particles should have hit the detecting devices.

Where They Got it Wrong

My personal beliefs rely on some basic scientific principles. You might some of these in your first year science text books.

1) First, nature arbores a vacuum. This is important.
2) Second, if dimensions can be measured, they must have volume.
3) Third, if other dimensions exist, what is inside them?

Finally, a small little tidbit I want to point out.

4) Gravity crosses dimensions.

I can prove that last part, too. Remember the three dimensions we live in? (Height, Width, Depth for example.) Well, gravity is expressed in all three of those dimensions. Why is it limited to just these?

Conclusion

Dark matter is nothing more then matter existing in other dimensions that are part of our time-space architecture. Because it exists, it exerts gravity, causing the effects that we see through gravitational lensing.

We can't detect the matter because it is simply not present in our observable three dimensions. As such, any tool using three dimensional technologies will fail to detect it.

Until we learn to how to perceive these other dimensions, dark matter will remain hidden from us.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
A most compelling rationality. I'd buy into that easily. Good thread!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I always think this way; an under sea creature trying to understand the "wind flow". It will never understand it as the creature lives in the water and the wind flow happens only on land; if they have enough technology to come out of water with their life supporting system, then they could feel and understand the wind flow on earth; I think we know very little about whats happening out there and we have limited technologies to find what dark matter is. May be as you said the dark matter belongs to different dimensions; Here in this situation just think we are the under sea creature & the dark matter belongs to the creatures living on the land

Thanks for the thread; Any way please check this out

Mysterious web of "dark matter" found

Dark structures 'bind galaxies'

[edit on 23-2-2008 by Enceladus]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Wow... I am glad you wrote that out! Great theory! (side note: I had that book in my hand, it was on sale and I put it back for some reason... I am going back to pick it up!)

Okay... I would question your "proof" on gravity existing in all dimensions... It was to generalized... Based on what you said we can't assume that is doesn't exist in other dimensions (so I do agree to a point), but we also can't assume it does! You understand that right?

But it is a theory... so it is okay to create your own rules within the parameter of that theory, so we will assume for the sake of this theory that gravity does exist in all dimensions... Now we have to set out to prove the theory (back to science class)

If anybody wants to disagree with this theory, they have to disprove the theory... This should be fun... Lets all do research to come up with information that either backs up or disproves this theory and see where we end up! I will try to get others to join this thread too!

I am with you! Great theory... makes sense and I think if we all work together with intelligent facts and rebuttals we will end up proving this theory!!! (people who try to prove a theory wrong often end up proving it right in the end!)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Dark matter is nothing more then matter existing in other dimensions that are part of our time-space architecture. Because it exists, it exerts gravity, causing the effects that we see through gravitational lensing.

I think that is precisely what scientists believe dark matter is. Inter-dimensional matter. That is why we cannot measure it. Nothing in our current space time is able to interact with it, yet we can see evidence of it by its gravitational pull. Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The latest show I watched on the subject never made any claims of that. There are still scientists they interviewed that believe it will interact with matter in our universe, so this is not a absolute belief among the scientific community. I think it is a facinating subject, and look forward to the next great find.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

You are somewhat correct... see nobody knows what dark matter is, or if it even exists... and there are scientists that do have similar theories to this one... but I have read or watched shows on all of the latest theories and this one is pretty unique, plus he came up with it based on what he has learned... so of course it will have some similarities!

That being said... depending on what scientist you talk to... atoms travel between this dimension and other dimensions... if you read some books on quantum physics they describe this or catch the movie/book what the bleep do we know?

so anyway, if you agree with him, and you know of evidence that people have come up with... add it to this thread so we can all together try to do our best to prove or disprove this theory... I for one, agree with it!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Star and flagged O.P.

I am no scientist, but over the years maintained a healthy interest in this sort of thing; I enjoy reading and have read many books on the subject, and try to catch up with science when ever possible.

Your theory is an interesting and compelling idea, I'm surprised other have not tried to implement it in some manner or another, but like the previous poster said; no-one really knows what dark matter actually is yet!

So I guess that leaves us to speculate as much as posible on the subject!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm no physicist, but I had a pretty similar thought. If you're crazy, then so am I.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the notion that gravity crosses dimensions is supported by a variant of string theory. The idea as I understand it is something like this. Our observable universe exists on a three-dimensional brane. Most strings are open ended, but their ends are tied to that brane. Gravitons, on the other hand, are strings in the form of loops. That is, they have no ends and are therefore not tied to a specific brane. Thus, they are free to interact with other branes. In other words, according to this theory, gravity is free to traverse other dimensions.

In effect, this would mean that gravity from other unobservable "universes" would be able to interact with matter from our own. This seems to fit the layman's description of dark matter. I wonder what knowledgeable physicists have to say about this, though? (It might be that the mathematics just doesn't work, or that it just doesn't fit certain observations about the influence of dark matter.)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Can you explain, please, how matter that exists in (4+n) dimensional spacetime does not exist in 4-dimensional spacetime?

(Mandatory second line)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Regarding the dimensions part, I think the universe has infinite number of dimensions, because here on earth you have the ground the sky to refer to for dimensioning and positioning, but in the universe, there is no exact reference point for us to give dimensions all are mathematically created dimensions and the other dimensions are not yet known to us as the research is going on regarding that.

top topics

join