It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look at this snake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The snake is pulling a cow, and look how camouflaged it is

[edit on 21-2-2008 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I could not possibly believe that snake could eat that size of an animal.

Wow!

And yes he was well blended with his environment!

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It is actually pulling a Kangaroo. Supposed to be be somewhere in the Kimberlys. (North Western Australia) Location may be wrong but definately Kangaroo.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I was going to say that cow looks strange
Poor 'roo. I wonder if it was actually dead already and was just being pulled out by the snake. Incredible pic, makes me think of the movie Anaconda.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
y'up thats a roo or wallaby its got, definately not a cow lol, i could be wrong but i think its an olive python.

we had carpet pythons that were able to easily swallow wallaby's and small roo's in alice springs.
the olive pythons are further north in the tropical area's of the northern territory and north western australia.
got some photo's on my drive somewhere see if i cant dredge them up for you.

mojo

[edit to add]

Yep pretty sure its an Olive Python. Remember seeing a really cool documentary with a guy swimming with an Olive python in a water hole, very gentle creatures, unless of course you happen to be a kangaroo.

Olive Python

The olive python is one of Australia's largest snakes. It is divided into two subspecies. L. olivaceus olivaceus is the most common in captivity and the taxon we keep. They are found from the Kimberley district across tropical northern Australia to the western slopes of the Great Dividing Range in Queensland.
The other subspecies, the western or Pilbara olive, is restricted to the Pilbara region of Western Australia. They can grow to an enormous size with Dr Rick Shine reporting specimens up to 6.5 metres! I have been lucky enough to hunt and capture this subspecies in the wild .... but that's another story.
Even the northern subspecies of olive can grow to a significant size in captivity with specimens reaching over 3.5 metres and weighing in excess of 20 kilograms. With approximately 120 teeth, they can give their keeper quite a nip too.

[edit on 21/2/08 by mojo4sale]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
That's a hell of a picture. Nat Geo quality. But I guarantee the snake spit it up mid-meal. The midsection of the roo is not gonna work out.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
DUUUUUDE!!!

Thats got to be a 30-40 foot snake easy!

How incredible!
Here is another shot

[edit on 21-2-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

www.abc.net.au...
found an article!

[edit on 21-2-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think thats actually near Katherine in the NT, rather than the Kimberly region. Looks like an Olive Python.....and a pretty damn good specimen at that

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
snakes don't allways think before they try to eat something,and from what I understand once they get to certain point there commited to swallowing. heres a snake from Florida that learned the hard way.www.smh.com.au...

[edit on 21-2-2008 by JBA2848]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Here is a link from the ABC network Australia about this incident:

It appears that the wallaby is already dead but swallowing it will require an awesome feat of strength from the python - not only to drag the 'roo into it's gut but also to hang on while it does so. It's a large python but it's still an impressive display of the incredible physiology of these reptiles.

Rock climbers watch out!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
WOW that's something!
The background rock is really beautiful.
Sure glad we don't have snakes that big here.
I agree the Snake is going to have some trouble with the mid-section.
Poor Roo looks a little bloated.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Im not scared of snakes... but then again I have never seen one like this in the wild.. or ever

That thing is huge, and it could eat me... if I was a squirrel I would strap a saddle on it and ride it! No cat would mess with a squirrel riding a giant snake.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
But I guarantee the snake spit it up mid-meal. The midsection of the roo is not gonna work out.

No not really.
The carpet python which is smaller than the Olive Python can easily consume wallaby's which are about the size of a small roo.
That photo is slightly misleading. The roo would be no bigger than about the size of a large dog, a 3 - 4 metre python can consume that with out too much trouble.
i'm from Katherine originally and i dont think it's from there, i would bet on either the Kimberley or Kakadu.

mojo

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
snakes don't allways think before they try to eat something,and from what I understand once they get to certain point there commited to swallowing. heres a snake from Florida that learned the hard way.www.smh.com.au...

[edit on 21-2-2008 by JBA2848]

I really wish I had the video to share, but I saw a video of a huge python trying to swallow a hippo, maybe you've seen this too? The snake then regurgitated the hippo because it was way too big... So I'm not sure if they have to commit to swallowing, chances are the aligator was still thrashing around after getting swallowed whole and ripped the snake open with is rear legs, but damn I wouldn't ever want to get eaten like that, that's for sure!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

Originally posted by SantaClaus
But I guarantee the snake spit it up mid-meal. The midsection of the roo is not gonna work out.

No not really.
The carpet python which is smaller than the Olive Python can easily consume wallaby's which are about the size of a small roo.
That photo is slightly misleading. The roo would be no bigger than about the size of a large dog, a 3 - 4 metre python can consume that with out too much trouble.
i'm from Katherine originally and i dont think it's from there, i would bet on either the Kimberley or Kakadu.

mojo

It could be at Litchfield couldnt it?

It just looks like a big swimming hole that I think is south of Katherine that I went to. I cant remeber what it was called. Wangi falls is ringing bells but I cant remember if it was in Litchfield or near Katherine

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Litchfield is way up nth west of katherine.
It could be Litchfield, but it doesnt look like Katherine to me, but hey its big country up there.
More likely kimberley country as an earlier poster said.
Definately an Olive python though and a good size adult will have no problem swallowing a roo that size, eventually.
ive seen much smaller pythons consume large wallaby's.
Beautiful snake though isn't it. Wish i could remember the name of the doco on them.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Big snakes are pretty scarey.

I grew up in the backwoods of northern Florida and it was nothing back then to see rattlesnakes 16-18ft long. The largest snake I ever saw had to be close to 30'. We lived in the swamp right next to the river and we saw what looked like a very large limb floating down the river. Well as we wathed it my Uncle and my Dad got really excited because they realised it was a freakin snake.

This thing slithered up the hill and across the yard. We had a picket fence around the house and I remember them measuring the gap because when it went between 2 pickets it broke them trying to squeeze through. It was massive ans sared the daylights outta me. My dad said it was probally forced out of where it was due to the flood levels being so high.

Unrelated to the snake we found a HUGE loggerhead turtle (dead and dried out) floating down the river that week. We saw it and got in the boat and went after it. the thing was almost as wide as the boat. My grandpa kept it hanging in his workshop until lightening hit it and it burnt to the ground.

The only reason I mention it is because this was northern Fl and my dad and uncle would catch poisonous snakes and take them to Panama City and sell them to a plae that made anti-venom...neither one of them had ever seen a snake like that and when they described it to the snake people they had no idea either. What else is out there waiting to be found?

if something doesnt look right ad a "C" to it somewhere...that key only works sometimes

[edit on 26-2-2008 by kaferwerks]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

Hey,
I used to live at Neptune Beach in Jacksonville and would ramble around in the palmetto woods.
I once caught a medium sized snake on the way to school(it wasn't poisonous)I ran back and got a bucket.
I took it to school and they were not amused. I was only 8.

[edit on 26-2-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

hahahaha next to the bible that is one of the greatest fictitious stories ever!!!
thanks man you made my day!!!
would have been better tho if you had included the hoop snake in the story somewhere lmao

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212

hahahaha next to the bible that is one of the greatest fictitious stories ever!!!
thanks man you made my day!!!
would have been better tho if you had included the hoop snake in the story somewhere lmao

Why bring the Bible into a creature discussion like that? It sounds like you want to create some controversy and drama on here. It is not really the place for that.

As for the photo, if that is the Kimberly, that is one rough area. That snake almost looks photoshopped, it is so well camouflaged. Here is some more info. on it:

Wallaby Snatched By Python

top topics

<<   2 >>

join