a reply to: The angel of light
The Peace of God to all that belong to the light,
Today has been a Historic day for the Cuban American relationship that is ending effectively the cold war of XX century and it is beginning officially
a XXI century new climate of cooperation, mutual respect and tolerance in between the two countries.
For first time since the Cuban revolution of 1959, in Panama city an American President has sitted down to meet face to face with a Cuban Leader in a
friendly and peaceful way, with no complaints or accusations at all from any of two sides, and looking forward to a new future and no longer to a so
difficult past that now is a closed chapter.
It is so long the way that these two leaders have walked together since when in 2008 both arrived to the power, in different way, one through the
resignation of the Commander in Chief of the Cuban revolution, Fidel Castro and the other a first time African American elected for the President
* In March 2009, Obama signed into law a congressional spending bill which eased some economic sanctions on Cuba and eased travel restrictions on
* The April 2009 executive decision further removed time limits on Cuban-American travel to the island.
* Another restriction loosened in April 2009 was in the realm of telecommunications, which would allow quicker and easier access to the internet for
* At the 2009 5th Summit of the Americas, President Obama signaled the opening of a new beginning with Cuba.
* On 27 July 2012, Raúl Castro said that the Government of Cuba is willing to hold talks with the United States government to "discuss
* On 10 December 2013, at a state memorial service for Nelson Mandela, Barack Obama and Raúl Castro shook hands with Castro saying in English: "Mr.
President, I am Castro."
* On 17 December 2014, the framework of an agreement to normalize relations and eventually end the longstanding embargo was announced by Castro in
Cuba and Obama in the United States.
* On April 14, 2015, the Obama administration announced that Cuba will be removed from the United States "Terrorist Sponsor" list.
There is only three Historic precedents of normalization of diplomatic and economic relation in between two traditional y enemy countries similar to
this one in modern times:
- Franklyn D Roosevelt attending the Yalta Conference in Crimea on February of 1945 to be the first President in to meet the Soviet Leader Joseph
Stalin to agreed the terms of a military alliance against the Axis power.
- Richard Nixon recognition of the communist regime of Beijing and his historic visitation to China to meet Chairman Mao Tse Tung in 1973.
- Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev culminant encounter in Reykjavik, Island, of 1986, that is marked historically as the end of the Cold war,
and the visitation of the two Presidents to their counterpart countries in 1987 at Washington DC and to Moscow in 1988.
The summit of the Americas 2015 is the culminant point of years of hard work for the diplomacy of both countries that was able to erase a terrible
background of confrontation of almost 50 years.
For now it is clear that this so important step is creating the necessary condition for the complete normalization in the relationship and the end of
an embargo that some few years ago seemed to be impossible to cut.
It is clear that the island of Cuba is in way to be a very different country sometime in the near future by the death of Fidel A. Castro as it was
before this prophecy was released in February of 2008, a little more than a year before the trend of improvement on the bilateral relationship started
to be evident.
Now, how is this transition toward Democracy going to happen?
My intuition is that the Communist Party of Cuba finally will be divided following the principal internal currents of:
& Traditional communists that wants to maintain a strong centralized economy,
& Moderate ones in favor of a socialist state tolerant with different economic models
& Advanced reformers that want a robust market economy in which the communist regime only acts as regulator.
This division that will erode the monolithic state structure that has ruled the island for the last 56 years, to open opportunities for the other
opposition parties that will emerge to arrive to public offices of free election first time since the Revolution .
The Angel of Lightness
edit on 4/15/2015 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)