It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Shootings, and Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I was thinking this morning about a news story that happened in my area last week Here is the CNN report
I know that schools are trying to go the extra mile to protect students and teachers from guns brought to school, or shootings in general, but at what cost? Either they do too much(Story Here)

"It's scary," said D.C. Councilman Jack Evans, D-Ward 2, adding that using police officers as hall monitors in schools would be like using National Guard troops to fight city crime.

Or, they arn't doing anything to stop it from happening.
I don't want to have kids someday, and then be scared to send them to school. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks of the security measures schools are taking these days.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think that having cops in school would be unneccessary if the causes of school shootings were handled rather than the symptoms. Its a bit like a doc giving pain killers to a patient while still leaving the cancer behind.

I know that when I was at school there were fights, and I remember one teacher being attacked by a kid, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect violence to escalate so much in the 20 or so years since I left school.

My theory as to why this is going on is simple. The nanny state and the PC brigade. People are scared to discipline even their own kids these days, so how much more difficult is it for the teachers who are expected to instill knowledge while unruly kids play havoc with no fear of retribution.

Its no good just getting cops into the schools - those ridiculous PC laws need overhauling and kids should be taught basic humanity before things become impossible to reverse.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Pisky- so you think that it should go back to the older ways of teaching when teachers were allowed to use rulers to rap kids knuckles? hmmmm..... never thought of that.
i think parents should do more disciplining too, although, half of the reasons a kid brings a gun to school, is to kill the kid that was making fun of him/her. and there is nothing that the schools are doing to try and solve that problem. all these kids that don't fit in, are treated like outcasts, and they think a gun will solve the problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
when i graduated a few years back we had 2 friendly "hey come talk with us about your problems" pigs in my school.

Give me the days when we could go out back and beat the piss out of each other. Thatd eliminate some aggression. Also it seems that kids are just assholes now adays, the shooting up schools fad seems to have passed, but you still need precautions

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilingsarah82
Pisky- so you think that it should go back to the older ways of teaching when teachers were allowed to use rulers to rap kids knuckles? hmmmm..... never thought of that.

I would never advocate widespread beatings of kids, but the 'ruler across the knuckle' certainly worked for most kids. Yes, I got it a couple of times for playing the arse and disrupting the lessons, but all of my classmates got the same treatment when they behaved in the same manner - and there was certainly no discrimination.

As for the subject of bullying, I was lucky in that as far as I can remember, I never saw anything like that. KayEm, in a small town school in the US was treated atrociously by the 'popular set' after deciding to choose her own friends and not wishing to be some fashion-obsessed barbie doll. This bullying ceased somewhat when she got into the cheerleading squad, but of course those who lost out to her were obviously jealous.

There truly is no way to legislate against bullying. Telling someone that they have to be nice to another or else just makes the bully more angry at his/her target and can cause more problems than it solves.

The only way anything is going to get done on this subject is for people - both adults and children - to be educated. As human beings everyone is born equal. As time goes on, we discover that we do not have equal talents, but each and every one of us has something to offer. So why the bullying, the racism, the inhumanity, the hatred fostered by religion, and all the other 'isms' ? ... There's no point to them - what a complete waste of time and talent.

That, and the utter nastiness of causing pain to another being, is what should be taught. Not the 'Me me me' crap of the Reagan/Thatcher era.

The PC brigade are merely pitting people against people with their laws and instructions. The sooner they bugger off, the sooner I, for one, will be happy.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As I mentioned on a couple other threads we used to take guns to school all the time so we did not have to waste time going home to git them after school to go hunting birds, rabbits and stuff.

Can you imagine half a dozen boys showing up at school with loaded shotguns today?

And no one was ever shot. We settled our problems with boxing gloves at school or bare fists after school

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I alway thought i'd be best if all the staff was armed, like in Israel, or like wyoming they can (if i remember right)

How many school shooting ya hear coming out of those places?

It always seems to be the "anti"-gun states, (New York, California, and such.)

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
The only way anything is going to get done on this subject is for people - both adults and children - to be educated. As human beings everyone is born equal. As time goes on, we discover that we do not have equal talents, but each and every one of us has something to offer. So why the bullying, the racism, the inhumanity, the hatred fostered by religion, and all the other 'isms' ? ... There's no point to them - what a complete waste of time and talent.

i agree, schools should hold meetings of some kind to help parents and students understand, what the 'bullying' does to other students. maybe the parents could help to curve their kids thinking.
in the out of school concept, there is way to much of all the 'isms', I don't understand why people just can't get along. why does one person have to hate another person because of their skin color or because of their religion. If person A dosn't like person B, and has good reason, fine, but don't judge everyone else like person B, just because of their beliefs., anyways, im kinda off topic here, lol, so i think im gonna shut up for now

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The anti bullying law proposal is dumb.

Teens are especially problematic because they have adult like bodies and child like minds.

I see nothing wrong with having cops in the schools if you want them there. Police presence sometimes only makes problems go underground though, making them harder to target.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
The anti bullying law proposal is dumb.

Teens are especially problematic because they have adult like bodies and child like minds.

I see nothing wrong with having cops in the schools if you want them there. Police presence sometimes only makes problems go underground though, making them harder to target.

yeah, but would you send your kids to a school full of cops? i know i sure wouldn't. i wouldn't want my children (when i do eventually have some) having cops as their hall monitors, maybe the 'ani bulliying law' as you so eloquently put it, is a bad idea, but there should be a way to keep schools safe, and keep guns out of the classrooms, along with keeping extreme measures, like having cops in school, at bay. i know when i was in highschool, like someone else said, settle the problem with a good old fist fight (Amuk)

and no one was ever shot. We settled our problems with boxing gloves at school or bare fists after school

i just think now-a-days kids take those fist fights to far, they see all these shows on tv and video games that make guns ok. now im not saying guns are bad, because i myself like to hunt, and i would also protect my house with a gun, if it came down to it, but i would teach my children that guns aren't the way to solve problems. and i think that schools should help out in that aspect as well.
maybe KrazyJethro you think it is dumb, and there should be cops in school. but what happens, after the cops are in place, and another kid brings a gun to school, and shoots a teacher or a student???? what then, are they gonna bring in the Army? or the National Guard?!?!? I mean come on, Cops in school is a bad idea.

new topics

top topics

join