It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identify any animal in 3 minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
About time science came up with something good.

The Canadian Centre for DNA Barcoding will receive funding from 25 nations to develop a hand held device that will be able to identify any animal, plant, or insect, within 3 minutes. It could also work on animal droppings.

Scientists anywhere needing to identify an animal, plant, fungus or other organism would simply take a DNA swab and compare it with the library's records.

People using the hand-held device would brush a strip of paper over a biological sample from the species being identified. The paper would then be inserted into the device.

I can't express how cool I think this is. Not only can this be used to see if you found a new species, but is also has practical uses in other industries.

The device could reveal the source of food contamination. "A mouse head was recently found in a TV dinner in Canada. We were able to show it came from South-East Asia."

This tool will become a valuable resource for cryptozoologist. With in minutes you would be able to tell in you are looking at bigfoot droppings or some other scat.

source

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Wow this is a nice little gadget, if it's made, will it be made public so everyone will be able to buy one? I dont think there would be a need for Cryptozoology anymore, Just go looking for a Bigfoot or Chupacabra, scan whatever you find, and Hay Presto!

Wig

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think it will be called a Tricorder.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

Very usefull. However, it can be used to track some individual also. Police dogs could loose their job. Actually, i'm starting to get NWO-paranoidal too.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wow, I'd pay good money for something like that. Just try to imagine the amount of information on it! 500,000+ species!? Glad I don't have the job of cataloguing the works. It will be time well spent though. Can't wait!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The article says five years, I'm not sure if that a realistic goal. I'm sure there will be a lot bugs that will need to be worked out. My question when it comes out is how accurate will it be? How often will you get inconclusive results and false positives for wrong species.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'll believe it when we see it.

I would expect such a machine to do DNA-analysis on the spot, and well, creating such a machine would be revolutionary. There are already 1M+ $ prices out there, for the company that produces a fast DNA-sequencing machine. And exactly that would be required to be able to identify animals at such an efficient way...

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

this is going to be a cool device...but the 1st video on YOU TUBE will be some idiot holding the thing up to his crotch and showing us if it can "identify" what the sample reads

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Already been done

top topics

join