It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Advert policy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I would like to raise a question over the ads I see on ATS.

I know ads are necessary and in general I have no problem with adverts on here, but there is one particular type of ad that bothers me.

I am not talking about ads for credit cards or mobile phones and such, they are all fine. I do wonder though why ATS accepts ads that are designed to fool its own members into parting with cash on some flimsy premise? Doesn't ATS have some sort of 'duty of care' towards its members to make sure ads are genuine?

This question is sparked by one that I have seen several times already. Apparently I am supposed to believe that I am the 1millionth visitor and have won a car! Have I? No. it is a lie. And how remarkable that I hit this milestone so often?

Some members may not be clever enough to spot this con and could end up spending money for nothing or passing on personal information to people they would rather not have it.

ATS preaches very high moral standards and consistently demonstrates those standards so this sort of 'junk mail' ad sits very uneasily with me and even goes against those high standards.

Should ATS be displaying an advert that is a blatant lie? Can anyone respond to this?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Hi Waynos.

I think the adverts come through in blocks, and SO filters out the really bad junk as and when he gets notified of specifically irritating ones.

They usually end up here Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

So chances are this one might make the list if it qualifies as one of the worst ones. If it doesn't make the list, the only suggestion I can offer is to try and ignore it, as its helping to pay for the rather lovely and hideously expensive server the board sits on

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Ah, I think I see. If the ads are 'bundled' together rather than accepted individually, at least they get weeded out. Thanks

join