It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wrap Two Armour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
For several months now Warrior ICFV have been seen in Afghanistan and Iraq, with 'wrinkley tin' style side armour.

Indeed the MOD's 'in house' and official civilian access websites have been showing Warrior ICFV with this 'new' 'wrinkley tin' style side armour.

Firstly, it is not really 'new'. It has been used - although sparingly, on several other vehicles whilst it underwent 'in theatre' evaluation.

Wrap Two is the somewhat ambiguous name given to the upgraded Chobham/Dorchester armour found on Chally II.

From closer inspection, you can see that this armour comes in 'bolt on' rectangular segments - which can be easily replaced if damaged.

There is some evidence to suggest that this armour helped save the lives of the combatants inside when they were attack with ATG weapons before the Warrior was damaged by the IED buried in the road.

Your thoughts please gentlemen?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
www.enemyforces.com...

a piccie for you

apparantly it has been in use in the balkans as well

the chally 2 with both side , front (era so im told only on the front - but i could be wrong) and slat at the rear

edit:

right had some hard and fast answers :

For close-in self-defence the Selex Sensors & Airborne Systems Enforcer 7.62 mm remote-controlled weapon station (RCWS) has been installed in front of the loader's hatch.

-A new nose armour package called "Toe Armour" has replaced the previously mounted ERA.

-In the center of the glacis plate there is what is likely a thermal camera.

-Mounted on the outside of each headlight is what may be part of an anti-IED system.

-Clearly visible are rectangular additional devices mounted on the outrigger frames on either side of the track guards...the front part covered by a warning sign....probably additional anti-IED devices

img263.imageshack.us...

^^ shows the toe armour (era replacement) front thermal camera , rmote weapons station and the attatchment to teh otuside of teh lights

img401.imageshack.us...

^^ same attatchement but with warning plates - and very visable side armour packs.

img263.imageshack.us...

^^ rear slat armour

all pics taken at bovinton on 19th decemeber 2007

[edit on 21/2/08 by Harlequin]

Mod edit: Removed broken link.

[edit on 22-2-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Mod edit:IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

[edit on 22-2-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The point of corrugation is that it denies a shaped warhead a flat surface and thus pre-detonates it. Shaped charges in RPGs depend upon striking a flat surface as perpendicular as possible.

Tandem Heat warheads which are produced in Iran can however overcome some precautions like spaced armour.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson Tandem Heat warheads which are produced in Iran can however overcome some precautions like spaced armour.

But not Wrap Two, old boy. We Brits have devised a cunning plan by which spaced Chobham/Dorchester armour has been retro-fitted to Warrior ICFVs in the style of 'wrinkly tin'.

The CVR[T] family of tracked vehicles were seriously underarmoured and this armour is proof against most if not all types of AT warhead.

I will even go as far as saying that if Carlsberg made this armour, it would probably be the best armour in the world!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
you got a piccie of that cause all i can ifind is the one i linked - of the chally style side mounts

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin you got a piccie of that cause all i can ifind is the one i linked - of the chally style side mounts

Not personally my friend. Try MOD.co.uk or Army.co.uk and get into the pages. Try searching Wrap Two or Warrior ICFVs.

Best I can do, sorry.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by fritz

getting lazy

www.mod.uk...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequinpost by fritz[/url] getting lazy

Hey Guy, I did do ALL the hard work - pointing you in the right direction.

join