It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions for those who live off the grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I've been kicking around the idea of converting my houses to alternative forms of power so that I can disconnect myself from the grid completely.

I had a few questions and figured that this would be a good place to ask.

1. I have a house in Las Vegas that I'd like to convert to solar through the use of PV panels. How difficult is it to "unplug" myself from the power grid in a populated suburban area? I want absolutely no connection to the local power company at all.

2. Any suggestions on methods of powering a house in a rural, northern midwest climate? Solar doesnt really seem like a great option, and I thought of hydroelectric as my house is on a lake, but there isnt constant running water as there would be if I had a stream or a creek running through the property.

3. For anyone that uses solar: Any problems that arent usually thought of? What if it rains for 5 or 6 days, will the batteries hold enough?

Thanks for any help

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

While I don't necessarily have experience living off grid, I can tell you what I know.

My landlord right now lives in a completely solar powered house and the one I am moving into soon is passive solar designed with a possibility for active solar in the future (its hooked up electrically, but still grid-tied and there's no solar panels).

Arizona is great for solar as is Nevada. Its a great choice for energy generation.

1). I don't imagine its difficult to install solar panels and you can simply cut the line to the electrical pole if you so chose to (I know of at least one person in Tucson who has done so actually, but I don't know if he got permission to do it first).

I would contact local people who have installed solar panels AND contact your local government to find out if they have any rules and regulations regarding solar panels.

You don't want them to get taken away for some stupid reason.

Plan ahead before you do this and you'll benefit in the long run.

What's great about solar is that panels are insured for 25 years or more.

You may have to pay a few grand up front for installation and the product itself, but after a few years it will pay for itself in energy costs alone (not to mention environmental costs and how much carbon you've offset in the process).

2). Wind power would be a great option in such an area provided you have enough money to fork out for the windmill and can make do without power if the wind isn't blowing.

You could buy a backup diesel generator if you need power.

3). Battery technology is improving and I'm pretty sure they hold their charge fairly well.

Like any other batteries, they lose charge over time.

However, in the short term I wouldn't worry about it.

slackerwire,

I'm really glad you're into this kind of thing.

Good for you!

[edit on 2/20/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I had a local solar contractor come out last week, and they quoted me 18k for a full conversion to active solar, but the estimator said I was the first person who ever asked about cutting all ties to the power grid. He had no idea, so it looks like I will end up having to go through the red tape to actually do it.

I've only really researched the solar side of things, but in case you or anyone else knows, I'll ask this:

Considering my other house is on a lake, would there be any way to have something along the lines of a solar powered pump to pump water through a hydroelectric system big enough to power a small house?

The house is basically buried in the woods about 20 miles outside of a small town, and with the abundance of trees, I'm not sure enough wind would actually get through to make a windmill a feasible option.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
There are solar powered anything.

You take a solar panel and plug whatever you want into it.

I don't have the electrical knowledge to tell you exactly what to do, but I know its possible.

My landlord powers her gate with a mini solar panel so anything can be done with solar.

There are micro hydroelectric generators that only need a very small steam to power them.

Hydroelectric generation

Micro hydro electric generator

Micro hydro power

Micro hydro

I've done a research project on renewable energy and it can definitely power the entire nation.

A household can be powered off a few kilowatts of power if you use it properly.

Do some research into micro hydro if you really want to live off grid and make use of your local resources.

We as a society seem to think we need huge lunky power plants to provide enough electricity for all of us.

What the utility companies don't want to tell you is that every household can be off grid if they invest in the right kind of technologies and act intelligently.

You don't need to be grid tied. Its simply unnecessary.

Somehow we made it for thousands of years without electricity. I think we'll be able to make it a few more thousand without it as well (unless you chose to generate it yourself).

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If your house produces more than you use, if you stay connected to the grid, you can sell excess power to the power company. Be nice to get a check from them instead of a bill.

Solar generates dc voltage, all you need is a inverter to change it to 120 ac and you can use all your regular household stuff. Of course you should invest into energy efficent appliances to minimize your power consumption.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Might I suggest installing a geothermal loop as well? This is a method of heating and cooling your home that works by equalizing the temperature in your house with the temperature several feet below ground, which is usually relatively comfortable.

This way more of your off-grid power source could be applied to things like TV and your Computer.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Two points that stood out to me that suggest a good power-generation source

I thought of hydroelectric as my house is on a lake, but there isnt constant running water as there would be if I had a stream or a creek running through the property...

The house is basically buried in the woods about 20 miles outside of a small town, and with the abundance of trees, I'm not sure enough wind would actually get through to make a windmill a feasible option.

water+wood=steam power

Have a look at this example for a low-pressure steam-driven DC generator to get an idea

The engine in action...

Green Steam engine website

new topics

top topics

join