It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology Critic Found Dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Published: February 20, 2008

Updated: 12:14 am

CLEARWATER - Shawn Lonsdale, who became one of the most bedeviling local critics of the Church of Scientology, died of an apparent suicide at his Clearwater home this past weekend. He was 39.

There was no sign of foul play, said Clearwater police spokeswoman Elizabeth Daly-Watts.

Police found the body about 12:30 p.m. Saturday after neighbors complained of a pungent smell coming from the home Lonsdale rented at 510 N. Lincoln Ave. Authorities found a garden hose running from the exhaust pipe of Lonsdale's car to the home.

They also found what is thought to be a suicide note, Daly-Watts said. The contents of the note won't be released until the case is closed.

Lonsdale became a public nemesis of the church in 2006 when he began videotaping outside its downtown Clearwater offices, the church's spiritual headquarters. He often stood next to a sign that said, "Cult Watch. Now Filming!"

The story goes on further to mention a weekly show he had running on a public access channel. I'd be interested to hear of any ATS'ers in the Clearwater area who might have seen this.

I also find it interesting that this tragedy (death) made headlines not because of the impact to his friends/family etc but because of the fact of what he devoted his life to - outing Scientology.

The entire story can be found at:
www2.tbo.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
There was a post on this board from a friend of his! When it happened. I'll look.

found it here

edit
hmmm not sure his friends name was John, but it was just last week and iin Clearwater as well -- weird

[edit on 2/20/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that link. I looked but didn't dig deep enough.

MODS please delete this thread at your discretion. Thnx

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hmmm. Are you sure that's about the same person? The article I referenced was about a person named Shawn, not John.

Even the MO sounded different.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hey I don't think it's the same guy. So maybe it's a

conspiracy

to off all their critics. In thread about Aleister Crowley drawing a grey alien look alike, I found out old L Ron Hubbard was doing black magic back before he started Scientology with Jack Parsons and A. Crowley crowd. So darkness surrounding that cult (cough cough) I mean religon is not surprising.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
There's some other weird stuff going on. I saw this guy in the BBC panorama show. He has been protesting them for awhile. In that documentary the Scientology guys were agressive about defending their cul-- I mean religion. They're calling it a suicide. But he ran a hose into the house from the car exhaust ? I dunno seems kind of fishy.

There's some group called anonymous making claims on the net.

"We are anonymous
We do not care about your friend or his death
We do not care about scientologists or their beliefs
We are not your private army
We do what we do because we have chosen to

They protested in front of Scientology church in London

Somethings going on... not sure exactly how this all fits together yet... ATS can figure it out.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Well, here we go again. I'm in no way going to get as deep into this thread as previously, but all these people calling this a cult I find funny. ALL religions are like a cult. I fail to see what exactly makes Scientology so different as a cult than, oh let's say, Catholocism, or Christianity.

For reference:

cult /kʌlt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhlt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific

So just a quick question, like I said, I'm not getting into this thread too deeply, but WHY is Scientology seemed to be picked out consistently as a cult instead of any other religion?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

In my opinion scientology being a cult is indisputable. The followers are brainwashed, given subpar levels of education, the children are separated from their parents at a young age, and housed and educated by the org.
they also enforce and encourage separation from family and friends and produce people who are not well adapted t function in normal society

I have an uncle and many cousins that are active and fully participating members of scientology, they recently moved from LA to clearwater FL, and frankly they are so far removed from normal human interactions and have such bizarre codes of conduct and behavior it is startling.
We typically see them once every few years for a long holiday weekend and it is surreal.
I would be happy to go into more detail but this might not be the appropriatte thread.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks for making this thread... Yes I am on this big time!!
Shawn was my friend.. And I will tell you.. He was doing very well!!!

Theres only so much I wish to say on this thread... But do know that this is being looked into!

Shawn lonsdale, was a good man fighting the good fight!
We will miss him.. But his death will not be in vain!

He uncovered some big truths.. And now he is dead..
From an 8 year friendship.. Shawn was having much trouble with flyers put all over town.. Calling him a child molestor..
Harressment to big level!

CoS doesnt play around folks.. The only safe critic are those in great numbers..

I have stayed in the shadows for far to long.. And will stand with the many who will expose this evil cult for what it really is!

IF you want some research.. check on youtube.. YOu will see Shawn getting assulted by Ron Salveo.. And another guy was charged and arrested for this..

My thread that exposes CoS

This is in the works.. A simple research on google will give you all the info you will need..

Google: Shawn Lonsdale Dreamend..

You will find mug shots, and information about what CoS did to him..

Lets say for a moment Shawn really did kill himself..
then why>?

Well CoS only put flyers up all over town hurting him. telling lies..
Making him lose his job..
Following him around when he would get food.. Follow him to other places when he was not protesting!!!

So no matter how you chop this up.. CoS had something to do with this murder!!! THEY DID IT IS PUBLIC FACT!!!!!
But what is not fact, is how they did.. Or if they really did it..
But if he did kill himself..They pushed him to it...
Very bad and dark group here folks..

They hurt and will do anything to ruin their critics.. WHY???

CoS had it good with only Shawn to deal with..
They have awoken a sleeping public who will not take his place!!

RIP shawn.. Love ya man...
This wont be in vain!

[edit on 22-2-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Sad to hear about Shawn and This now the 2nd suicide this month of some one involved with Scientology, with mystery surrounding it?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
While it is possible, I don't think that Scientology had anything to do with the death of this person. Being that he was a known critic of theirs, and an ex member to boot, what better way to draw attention to yourself by having the person die, even if they made it appear that it was a suicide. I think that it is kind of funny of me to be defending them right now, because I've been a serious critc of theirs myself for several years. I aso find it a bit hard to swallow as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I have a friend who lives in Australia, he recently sent me a link from youtube that showed Tom Cruise talking about Scientology. My friend know's who TC is, but had never heard him talk about his religion before and he was amazed at how crazy TC sounded. I wasn't surprised, but it did spark an interest in me, so I watched some of the other youtube clips on the subject and found this site. www.whyaretheydead.net It's interesting to say the least. What I want to know is why is this being allowed to go on? Why are we not boycotting the celebrities who are preaching it? According to one clip I watched, this church has an A list of young celebrities that they have targeted for convertion. I understand that they have the right to their religion under our constitution, but any other church, that has crossed the line like these guys have, has been brought to task. Jeez, you'de think we would have learned from our past. Let's not forget Jim Jones, Charles Manson, the Wacko from Wako, whatever his name was. lol etc... Anyway, it's easy to sit here and say "Jeez we should do something about this." but this kind of thing really gets to me, and I'd like to help. I'm just not sure what I can do. I'm a single parent and not really into putting my life on the line, but there has to be a way for all of us to help put an end to this kind of religious slavery.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
While it is possible, I don't think that Scientology had anything to do with the death of this person. Being that he was a known critic of theirs, and an ex member to boot.

Get your facts straight before posting.. Shawn was never a member of CoS.. If you plan on defending CoS.. Get your facts straight..

Let me tell you something else..

This has to be the weridest Suicide ever!!! I mean honestly.. Who has ever hookd up a hose to their car from outside, and ran it into a window leading into the house?? While you are sleeping.?
Thats a really funny way to kill yourself, wouldnt you agree?

Honestly ask yourself, does this sound like something anyone would do?

Since I knew Shawn PERSONALLY I can say no this is way off base..

Something stinks here...
The video I provided has all the facts you need from a BBC reporter who was also followed and messed with his whole stay in clearwater..

I will repeat myself agin.. If you want to post, please understand the facts..
Shawn was not an EX member of Cos..
Thanks

And if you dont think they had ANY hand in this death, you are sadly misinformed..
Watch the videos I posted.. Read my links.. Do yourself a favor and understand they slandered him.. Made him lose his job.. Friends.. and status in the clearwater area..
They posted that he was a homosexual pervert.. ect ect..

I think if a group slandered me so bad, It might have a hand in why he killed himself..
IM just saying mental abuse can be linked to the cause of the death..

So to sit here and say they had nothing to do with it, is simply not true..
And is a lie..
I will make it a point to see that Shawns name is not slandered or taken out of context here..
Its the least I can do for a guy I called a friend, and was a good person at heart.. Trying to do the right thing!!!

Edit: Also I would like to add this.. Last night I got a werid phone call..
A deep voice on the other end said.. "stop what you are talking about online, and you and your family will not be harmed".

So now IM getting threats.. I just want to make this public knowledge..
That if I turn up dead too maybe someone can pick up where I left off..
NOt sure how many of us are going to have to die before some of you get it threw your heads.. CoS has many good members.. But the higher Ranks are very bad men.. Giving CoS in general a very bad name..

If I come up dead.. Let me post this here so you all know..
I do not want to die.. And I will never kill myself!!
I love my life, and want to live to be an old man!!

So its on record now atleast me saying this in public..
I dont want to die.. I have no plans on killing myself, now or ever!

IM not even sure how they got my number and address... But I think I have an idea.. I only posted some of my info here some time back, when I donated my hair to loks of love.. I have to take down those pictures..
This is getting out of hand..

so I can not publicly speak my mind without getting threats?
Okay, if you are reading this, and part of these people who are calling me.
Back off.. I have protection..

ITs a shame too how they got my info...
I made a thread a year back where I cut my hair and donated it to loks of Love.. They got my picture. and some info, and now have my address and phone number..
So these guys will pick on me.. Someone who donates to a cancer fund..
And they use that aginst me.. Pretty shallow guys.. Pretty freakin shallow.
I have since taken down all my pics, on this website.. In hopes I can change my number, and prehaps move to a new location..
I honestly want to stand for what is right.. But I dont want to put any of my family members in danger.. IF you want me fine.. Come get me..
But leave my family alone..

[edit on 23-2-2008 by zysin5]

[edit on 23-2-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Zysin5
Having spent 9 years of my life as a community organizer, on a grass roots level. I learned a few things. The best way to stop crime is to do the following:
1) Know your target
2) Talk to your neighbors and spread the word
3) stand together as a community with one voice
4) Use your local resources to effect change, ie. police, churchs, polititians, etc...
5) hit them where it counts most to them (usually in the pocket)

I think the best way to protect yourself when dealing with a group of dangerous ppl is to not act alone. I've been reading everything I can on this subject and there are quite a few ppl out there calling for help on this issue. You lost your friend, and I feel your pain. Others have lost sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, etc... Comming together in pursuit of these guys would not only give you all comfort, but show them that none of your loved ones died in vain. From what I've read so far, the ppl who are dying are vulnerable. These are ppl suffering from mental or physical illnesses like epilepsy, or have had a troubled past and are trying to overcome it. look up this website - www.whyaretheydead.net maybe you can find out if there is a way to join the others who have lost loved ones to this deadly religion. I personally think one way to address the issue is to form a boycott. I wonder how long movie stars will support these guys if we all stop watching their shows or going to their movies? I wonder how long that CoS will have political support if we all stop voting for the polititians, judges, etc... that are affiliated with them. It takes time, but what do any of us have to loose? Except, sadly, another loved one.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Bigwhammy in an earlier post had asked about the following text:

We are anonymous

Prevailing opinion about this particular text among Anonymous seems to be that it was probably sent by CoS.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous13
Bigwhammy in an earlier post had asked about the following text:

We are anonymous

Prevailing opinion about this particular text among Anonymous seems to be that it was probably sent by CoS.

Yea I saw that too, didn't make since in light of what that group is doing on the internet. Logic tells me that it was made up by someone trying to mock Anonymous, and shake up the rest of us. I guess they think we are too stupid to figure that one out. lol

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous13

OK I don't know much about it. That's why in my original post I indicated that fact. I was right there when this post popped up as you can see at the top of the thread.

I did some research on the net, that night and that little snippet from Anon. was on being discussed on IRC and other boards... I was clueless about Anon. so Iwent to youtube and saw the protest video... it didn't make sense that they "didn't care " yet were protesting in England.

The problem with being called Anonymous is this simple fact, although the name sounds cool, If Anonymous is anonymous, how can we tell if it's the real Anonymous?

So it could've been a random 15 year old having fun. Who knows

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
don't know if you realize it but none of the videos above work anymore. I was interested in seeing what they said - if you find them somewhere else can you put a link in the thread again.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by justme1640

They work... give it a minute to load... there's so many in this thread it takes awhile.

Just worked for me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join