posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:53 PM
The following is taken from the account documented by Resort Director Attomant DonLuen in his own words, and verified through the
station’s A/V recording components. (Some entries have been edited or removed to preserve continuity.)
Command Crew departs, after giving me a final brush-up on command operations. I have decided to stay with the station, confident that the situation
down on Earth will improve. It seems that once again the nations of the world are perched precariously before the precipice of unrestricted war. But,
as we all know, this is not the first time, so global war need not be so. I try to think of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the failed nuclear launch by
Iran, and the Battle of the Taiwan Strait. All of these could have led mankind down the road to annihilation expeditiously, but they did not.
In the meantime, I have decided to stay on-board to maintain the systems which keep this station flying high. The Core Crew had only consisted of two
personnel since the station has not yet officially opened yet. The Doctor was one of the last staff members scheduled to arrive, before operations
were postponed due to the crisis, but the Lieutenant Commander became violently ill during his sleep-period. Commander Tazin had the choice of letting
the Lieutenant Olengarth die, quite literally it appears, or to bring him back down to Earth for surgery. The station is supposed to be able to
operate unmanned for at least several months at a time, but this has not yet been tested. At the behest of my employer who has invested so much in
this project, I have elected to stay. I am no Astronaut, but I have a firm grasp of how this automated station operates now, thanks to the Commander.
I also have ample study material, and obviously, direct comms with Ground Control to assist.
The Commander has promised that she will return to personally relieve me of my duty herself, but we both know her decision was most likely the end of
her career. Conglomerate would have rather seen me try to fly the Angelica Shuttle and die trying, than to risk Heaven. What’s done is done.
Commander Tazin has informed me directly by comms link that the Lieutenant faced complications, but is expected to survive.
I think I will begin to explore my habitat further today. Since arriving five days ago now, I have not left the Command Module. I was anxious to
explore the resort area, but it seems clear now that becoming familiar with the Command Center has paid off. I think I can manage to go about my own
duties now though, as everything seems to be running smoothly here. I will bring the rest of the station online and verify the delivery data against
the storage facilities. Air and water are showing full levels, but the luxury goods are only at about 65% according to my figures. Even so, there
should be plenty of food if I end up having to stay longer than expected. At this point, my stay is estimated at twelve days remaining.
Lieutenant Olengarth has died.
All remains normal. I am spending most of my time in the Command Module still, but have tried out a few of the gadgets that will surely impress our
most discerning guests. I must admit, I am tempted to activate one of the companion units. I have never seen one in live operation yet, only in
digital presentations. I wonder what this sort of technology will do to society when it becomes main stream. It is certainly quite controversial, but
since they are so expensive, the issues are not really pushed. I know my fiancé would not approve of my curiosity, however scientific, and whether or
not it directly relates to my job. Well, another day perhaps. For now, I will go back to contemplation with the most spectacular view I have ever
enjoyed. I don’t think I could ever get tired of it.
The Ground Control Center (GCC) had originally hoped to have a replacement crew in place by this date. They have given me little details for the
delay, other than to say that the original mission was scrapped, in favor of a more useful and cost-effective mission now being planned. Conglomerate
has yet to prove that they can perform two-week turnaround missions on a regular basis. I wonder if that fact is getting by the investors in this
My fiancé, Kristy, is concerned. She reports that people are getting sick in growing numbers in my home region, with an unknown illness. She also
reports that there is an increased police presence, buttressed by regular troops, and irregularities in media reporting. Neither of us have voiced
what our real concern is. GCC assures me that there is no need for concern, and has offered to fly Kristy there. I see no reason for this though, as
our personal comms work fine. California or New York makes no difference.
This is the first time I am second-guessing my decision to stay here. Kristy tells me that the situation there has grown much worse. That people are
dieing in large numbers, but that nothing is being reported in the media. She does not want to leave the house, but is concerned that she does not
have enough food to wait out the crisis. GCC has now rescinded their offer to fly her to California.
I have begun intercepting global comms frequencies, and have been able to piece together information that leads me to conclude this problem is not
just in New York. Perhaps it is better to be out here for now, but I cannot help but feel that I should be with my fiancé.
I have not yet heard from my fiancé, and it is well beyond our regular call time. Needless to say, I am quite worried.
I am sick with worry. Still no word from Kristy, and I have been unable to establish comms with any member of my family. GCC reports what I have
already suspected. That a biological attack has happened. The military has seized and/or blocked most frequencies. The situation is quite confused. No
one is quite sure who has attacked who. The biological agents were released in a clandestine manner. It seems to be a silent war, but people are
dieing around the globe more quickly and in larger numbers than in any other war man has ever known.
GCC has informed me that a return flight to Heaven has been indefinitely postponed. I am not sure how to take this news. Does this mean they will
still come when they can? When the crisis has ended? Even after a terrible war, Conglomerate will capitalize, and I am sure they will still value this
station. But how long will this be?
I must do some serious re-calculating of my supplies here. I can’t concentrate though. My mind is running in different directions and I am stuck in
this tin can.
(Observation note: Subject has broken from outlined routine.)
I awoke to a piercing alarm. High radiation detected. I thought it was probably a solar flare at first. It was not.
Lucky me. I got a view from Heaven of a global thermonuclear exchange. The trails behind little specs that were missiles. I zoomed in on a few of them
with the observation lenses mounted in the hotel windows, but didn’t want to get caught looking through one during a flash. And there were more than
enough flashes. I don’t know how many. Some of the mushroom clouds were larger than others. New York. It’s gone.
I have been unable to contact GCC.
I have suffered vomiting, spasms, and convulsions as a result of worry and the shock of what I have witnessed. I have broken into the locked medical
supply, and self-medicated hoping to dull the symptoms.
MORE TO FOLLOW...
[edit on 2/20/0808 by jackinthebox]