It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two F-15 fighters collide over Gulf of Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Two F-15 fighters vanish over Gulf of Mexico

www.cnn.com

Two F-15 fighter jets are reported missing in the Gulf of Mexico, CNN affiliates report. U.S. Coast Guard searching.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-2-2008 by XFoxMulderX]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This just broke moments ago. In all probability, they probably crashed. My prayers go out to the pilots' families. Who knows, maybe it's just a radar glitch. I have to go. Post updates when they come in.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Wer'nt the F15's recently withdrawn from service due to structural problems? if so these must have been some that were declared safe and it makes you wonder if something was missed?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the military retire the F-15 a couple of months ago? I thought they found technical flaws in many of the planes, and decided to retire them. Odd.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

HA! Now THAT is weird! We posted the same question at the same time!!1

Well, that helps clear things up. I wonder why they were flying these two F-15's then. It's also odd that this occured hours before the navy is planning to shoot down USA 193.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There are different "models" of f-15, A-->D are grounded.E- don't think that those were grounded, also there are other, less common (to my knowledge :-)) versions that flew.

Hey ,was wrong. But there is always wiki
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 20-2-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is from the local news affiliate in Mobile, Ala.

MOBILE, Ala.) Feb. 20 -- The U.S. Coast Guard in Mobile says it is actively searching Gulf waters for two F-15 Fighter Jets reported missing from Eglin Air Force Base in the Florida Panhandle.NBC15 News has been told the search was launched after the jets apparently lost radio contact with the tower at Eglin.The search is being conducted about 30 miles south of Panama City in the Gulf of Mexico. Jets and helicopters have already been dispatched to the area by the Coast Guard and ships are also on the way.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
CNN Confirms two jets collided . www.cnn.com

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

there all back in the air

All remaining US Air Force Boeing F-15A-D Eagles have been returned to flight, contingent on completion of individual inspections on each aircraft's fuselage longerons.

The USAF does not expect any of the 149 aircraft to require repair and says there will be no operating restrictions on Eagles that pass these final inspections. But all F-15A-Ds will require repetitive checks for longeron cracks every 400 flying hours

of the aircraft which have cracks - i personally think they will just write the airframes off.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yeah, they collided. I read the CNN story. That is not good news at all

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yeah, they collided. I read the CNN story. That is not good news at all

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The New York Times is reporting that only one of the jets and pilots are missing.

It was one of two F-15's from that wing that were engaged in a combat training mission against two F-16's from Moody Air Force Base in Georgia, he said.NYTimes.com

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
according to cnn.com, the pilots have been rescued.

www.cnn.com...

The pilots of two F-15C fighter jets that collided Wednesday over the Gulf of Mexico have been rescued, authorities said.

That's great news imho.

Tela

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
That is great to hear, I can;t imagine the crashing a jet in the middle of the gulf. Great training I imagine.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

I am sorry to say it took a turn for the worst. One pilot is now be reported as to as to have died =(

new topics

top topics

join