It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is Al Sharptons Rage against Racism for this?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Now if they had beat him over the head with a box of "crackers," it would be a different story...

Or a loaf of Wonder bread, guess that would hurt a lot though.

I absolutely hear what you are saying, but again. If it was the opposite it would be top CNN news. This will never be that so where is really the racism. Hmmm Maybe I am changing my mind. (Personally because of my experiences I still think this is racially motivated) But perhaps its the Media that makes the double standard.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is an great example of why there should be no "Hate Crimes". A crime is a crime regardless of the color of your skin and/or the color of the victims skin.

This was a cowardly attack and I hope that the perp spends a long time in jail. Not to rehibiliate him but to punish him for a violent attack.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xion329alpha

I'm white and I don't feel that my race is somehow the most racist of all races. But w/e that's your opinion.

The incident itself might have been racially motivated. The offical story is it started over aisle space. Maybe. Maybe not. I find when fights break out over something so trivial it's usually another unspoken factor that is driving it. The perps are criminals there is no doubt about that and I hope they get caught and go to jail.

I find comma8comma's comments very arrogant and unneccessary. He did say Sharpton is an opportunist and cares nothing for his race to which I agree with. I think Sharpton is totally transparent and cares for nothing but money and power. Now, I'd say the OP is very right in saying that if the tables were turned and 4 white guys surrounded a black man and knocked him out and took his money we would have a national crisis about bigotry. It's more of social commentary about how we react or better yet how the news treats a story depending on the color of the aggressor and the victim.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xion329alpha
reply to post by ShiftTrio

... All white people have been given an equal opportunity in this world .....

Your post is very well put, however I have one issue, the snipped comment above. Truly you can't mean that. Statistically speaking I would agree that more whites than blacks have been given equal opportunity but not all. I just can't in my right mind agree with that.

On the topic of the video....If the white boy woulda just waited patiently for some space while the black man(s) took what they felt they deserved then he woulda had a much nicer day. Now then if he muttered "The word that shall not be spoken accept by those who are qualified"
then maybe he learned a lesson.

Speaking in general terms now......I can see how white folks view this as a hate crime. They've been suppressed to the point of allowing reverse discrimination and beyond. Tempers are starting to flair on the subject and the civil rights movement has started crossing lines to the point that they themselves are being viewed as racist.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by wazar]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Understand what your saying but the issue with Slavery was not based on race (originally) It took the US to make it a black white thing. And I mean the white slave owners made it an inferior race thing, rather then what it was, tribal people being taken advantage of by their own people and waring tribes and sold for money. Thats what it was about Money, they would have enslaved purple people if it made money. and in fact my ancestor didn't enslave anyone. we didn't come over till 1900s. But... can I understand the anger , sure. But you do not see a lot of Jewish people beating up Germans and that was only 60 years ago. But.. I agree, I can see where the anger comes from. But as you said it doesn't make it right.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
is this evidence of racism, no. But neither was Rodney King. But yet it was all over the news. The conspiracy being? Where is the coverage. Why is one crime treated different then another.

that's a very uinfair comparison. the rodney king event was more like the last straw, revolving around years of tension between the LAPD and the black community. It had little to do with that particular event.

So there are two issues here. 1) are these people in the video just thugs. Very possible, could they they have done that to another black person. Possible. Does this kinda thing happen in NYC based on race all the time YES.

that last bit you threw in there is very misleading, and almost deliberate to prove a point that doesnt exist. Do things happen in NYC based on race? yes, however I would make two grand assumptions (neither of which I will bother researching or backing up, but at least I admit it).

1- very small percentage of robberies / assaults are of racial origins
2- probably more black on black crime than black on white crime in NYC.

But ... The point here is Where is the outrage? Shouldn't it at least get the same media coverage as if it were 5 whites kids doing this to a black man?

no, if you refer to the Jena 6 case, that was racially motivated. So far the only "racial" thing about this event is based on your speculation.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
that's a very uinfair comparison. the rodney king event was more like the last straw, revolving around years of tension between the LAPD and the black community. It had little to do with that particular event.

Perhaps apples to oranges, but if you scaled it down some you would still get the same result, the outrage would not be as publicized, I think my over zealousness is the same as your under estimation IMHO.

that last bit you threw in there is very misleading, and almost deliberate to prove a point that doesnt exist. Do things happen in NYC based on race? yes, however I would make two grand assumptions (neither of which I will bother researching or backing up, but at least I admit it).

1- very small percentage of robberies / assaults are of racial origins
2- probably more black on black crime than black on white crime in NYC.

You are probably correct. But no where do I say this. What I say is compared to violent racially based crimes in NYC one out is large then the other.
This is my experience. But I certainly could be wrong, again not my point to make anyone worse then anyone else, just that it is not as publicized

no, if you refer to the Jena 6 case, that was racially motivated. So far the only "racial" thing about this event is based on your speculation.

I guess, and your right it is my speculation and experience as I stated I could be wrong, but lets see how this plays out, I bet ya a 50 I am right. Also making a racial slur, or even hanging a noose, does not justify 6 kids beating up one child. The people who hung the noose should have been kicked out of school or something similar, or even arrested for inciting something and they very well may have gotten off easy and I think that is BS. But to say the other kids who beat up the child are at fault for their actions is just silly. So are you saying it was ok for 6 kids to beat up one?

But the only reason this black on white crime is being shown is because they are saying its unfair, not because they are saying its racist they beat the kid up.. Thats just as apples to oranges as my Rodney king statement.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xion329alpha

But not all ended up like that some were given respect as fellow human beings and took it and created a bright future for the next generations. All white people have been given an equal opportunity in this world and we still are the most racist of all the races!

Whoa! Where is the evidence that proves this? There is genocide being committed in the world right now, in Africa, by blacks, against blacks?

I'm not trying to justify slavery by any means, but when you make this kind of a statements you should also recall that it was Africans who SOLD other "lesser" Africans into the slave trade. Racism, plain and simple.

Let's not forget of the hatred between Arabs and Jews, or the ethnic cleansing of Bosnia-Herzogovenia.

There is racism everywhere in the world, by all races.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

I disagree. The OP is an attempt at race-baiting as fine as any. There's a video, a white guy bets knocked stupid by a black guy. The poster then claims it was racially motivated. Why? Because "that's what black people do" - or to use your outlook, "because blacks are more territorial." The poster then goes on to declare Al Sharpton a foaming racist because he's NOT all over this like, er, white on Larry King

Fact is, we have no clue what happened in the video. Dude got layed out, and that's pretty much it. There's a wide range of possibilities. Assuming that because it was black people that it HAS to be racist, is in itself as racist as saying a bunch of white guys giving a clobbering to a black guy is inherently racist.

Maybe he owed the Jamaican mafia some money?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Becker, from the jump off I found you completely out of line and your analysis of black behavior in comparison to white was ridiculous and far fetched. From blacks being "territorial" to "come up here and tell us that," the entirety of the post just left me puzzled. I thought Comma said it perfect in his first post, and even summed it up for the other side as well. Comma seemed to be fighting two fronts and smashing on both of them, as where both arguments for this to be "race inspired" was simply dismissed by Comma's counter-argument.

What we have here everybody is modern day society. Was it "race" inspired? Last time I checked there was no audio and we have no idea what kind of words were exchanged at the aisle. We can't just assume it was racist because some white guy was hit by a black guy. Committing an assault on someone of a different color does not make one "racist." Not even if you have some sort of race ratio. It seems a lot of you have internalized this... Personalized this to some degree and the lot of you need to realize isn't some sort of sporting event. We don't have teams. We aren't here to root on our race. Dissect and analyze the situation given, instead of jumping to conclusions as to why your team wasn't given a fair shake.

Here we have society running full speed in a perpetual game of "chase the tail." Because, really, this kind of immediate response to some isolated incident is exactly the reason racial segregation and tension exist. If you want to contribute to that, be my guest. I won't.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

I disagree. The OP is an attempt at race-baiting as fine as any. There's a video, a white guy bets knocked stupid by a black guy. The poster then claims it was racially motivated. Why? Because "that's what black people do" - or to use your outlook, "because blacks are more territorial." The poster then goes on to declare Al Sharpton a foaming racist because he's NOT all over this like, er, white on Larry King

Fact is, we have no clue what happened in the video. Dude got layed out, and that's pretty much it. There's a wide range of possibilities. Assuming that because it was black people that it HAS to be racist, is in itself as racist as saying a bunch of white guys giving a clobbering to a black guy is inherently racist.

Maybe he owed the Jamaican mafia some money?

You do a great job at putting words in people mouths. AGAIN.. in case you haven't read it all. I do not like the double standards. I have said i may not be, but IMHO from my experience it was. I have seen it before. But thats not really what the post was about. It is about how if it was the opposite it WOULD be considered racial. Just answer that question. Would it have? You know the truth.

I wish there were no hate crimes, a crimes a crimes a crime and it would put AL and Jesse out of the hate business. Thats the point of the post. If your gonna cover something one way, make sure you cover it all the time no matter whos on the end of the beating. Get it?

Who used the word Stupid black guy or thats why it was done cause they are black ONLY YOU my friend only you.

Read the whole thread before responding maybe you'll get it.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

Here we have society running full speed in a perpetual game of "chase the tail." Because, really, this kind of immediate response to some isolated incident is exactly the reason racial segregation and tension exist.

I do not disagree at all. It shouldn't matter what color you are, what religion, what ever. You should be treated the same no matter the incident.
Thats the point of the post, and perhaps I didn't put it as eloquent as I could have. Where is the rage from AL is the title. It shouldn't matter who or where it happens but for some reason it does?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

There's a video, a white guy b(g)ets knocked stupid by a black guy. my emphasis

Noone was calling anyone stupid here....

Edit for quote coding.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Fresh off my first warning in nearly 4 years at ATS, I agree with you completely.

I often wonder why certain posters must continually put forth their personal agenda at the expense of making themselve look silly.

Your question posed from the outset remains unanswered by the righteous. It seems A-OK to jump the gun in the other direction, however when you posed the question concerning the wereabouts of Sharpton you and I immediately became racist.

DeadFlag: I think you realize my postings were done to activate a response. I do not know what led to this cheap shot. I do know the taunting and lack of any compassion or help for the victim from others on the tape seems to indicate at least a little something to me.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by Becker44]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

wcbstv.com...

Where is the evidence pointing towards this as a hate crime? To me it looks more like a bunch of ignorant clowns just mugging someone. Yes, racism still does exist on all sides, but out of all places, NYC has always been the most tolerant. NYC is the first place I saw blatant examples of interracial couples, and races intermingling quite freely.

What part of Harlem did you live in?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Understand what your saying but the issue with Slavery was not based on race (originally) It took the US to make it a black white thing. And I mean the white slave owners made it an inferior race thing, rather then what it was, tribal people being taken advantage of by their own people and waring tribes and sold for money. Thats what it was about Money, they would have enslaved purple people if it made money. and in fact my ancestor didn't enslave anyone. we didn't come over till 1900s. But... can I understand the anger , sure. But you do not see a lot of Jewish people beating up Germans and that was only 60 years ago. But.. I agree, I can see where the anger comes from. But as you said it doesn't make it right.

Arabs enslaved Black Africans for 600 years before Western Civilizations even became involved in the Atlantic Slave Trade. Also, Brazil contained nearly 90% of the Black African Slaves brought over through the slave trade. All of those blacks you see in Brazil and South America? Slaves. The Caribbean Blacks? Slaves. Cuba, Bahamas, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, all of them islands of slavery. So before you speak of America as being the entity behind the color issue involved with slavery, think twice about the facts of history. The huge majority of European descendant Americans never owned any slaves, even in the South where only an extreme minority of the wealthy actually ever took part in slavery.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
After actually reading all of the posts about this thread, I would like to say that most of the posters have stated thier views eloquently (for the most part). even when they seemed, to me to get a bit off the ops, original intent.
I believe the point the op was trying to make was, why was this not reported in the media big time as a "hate crime"??IE the double standard?
This, (I think) is what we should be "thinking" about... But, I think the real question is, WHY, should we even be considering this for discusion...
What I mean to say is, in the 21st century, why is "Race" still an issue??
Is it because of the media coverage? or opportunists? or is there something deeper?
In mho, this thread may have the opportunity to make us step back and and consider the emotions that the op. has revved up in us, and ask the question "WHY"

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I am a white male. I lived in the south philly ghetto for a while when I was trying to get through college. I had a few friendly black friends who were super nice and would drink beers at my apartment all the time. However, for the most part, it is a brutal and hostile situation to be a white male living in these areas. I would be harassed just going to the store, made fun of, called racist names, I was once egged while riding my bike home from class. I was mugged once or twice. I am glad I no longer live there, it's no way to live, always watching over my back. I am the farthest thing from racist, in fact I'm color blind. I would venture to say, though, that my living situation was a lot worse than say, the couple of blacks that live down the street from me in my current suburban, pre-dominantly white neighborhood. I doubt they have to experience harassment and racism every single day when they walk out the front door. Maybe it's different in southern areas, with rednecks and whatnot. Your always hearing about white on black racism though, but I'm telling you if your white in a black neighborhood, it can get ugly. So yea, I just wish everyone was color blind.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think we need to quit whining and let us all be human beings. Every person is racist white black asian arab it makes no difference some are just worse than others and we should all be free to feel how we want to feel. Trying to prevent humans to not be racist I feel is causing more problems than it is solving because your trying to change human nature.

This is for sure IS a racist attack it may not of been BASED on race it may of been words in the isle but the fact that the guy is white added to the tension that the black guy felt. You can sugar coat it how you want but its the truth.

There are good in all races but lets face it if your in an elevator as a white guy and there are all blacks there you feel apprehension right? Its natural.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

wcbstv.com...

What part of Harlem did you live in?

110 and 1st and for the most part I had no issue, except on the ball court, played on the corner of 1st and 96 Yea I know it ain't Lex and MLK lol but I was still at the time (Dinkins was mayor) I was one of maybe 4 white people Used to come home form work at 5 AM and when the elevator worked it was filled with p!ss and crack viles as was the park. It wasnt a cool place, but 250 buck to live in NYC lol. For the most part I had no issue and made it clear I wouldnt put up with stuff in fact I wouldnt get off the court when I had winners and they were trying to shut me out lol. But As they would say I was one of the good ones. lol

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join