It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus Flytrap native only to N. Carolina, in a meteor impact crater. Aliens from another planet?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What amuses me is that nobody would give a hoot if the "locally unique species" were a type of dandelion with round leaves or blue flowers or something. Bald Cypress grows like mad out there, but where are all the people suggesting Bald Cypress came from an alien impact?

How about all the weird orchids and lilies around the world, most of which are found only in one corner of some island or the like?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

LOL Fox -- the Crabgrass in my yard is Alien too!

I think it's the Carnivorous thing... but I put up a link there are carnivorous plants all over.

The Planet of Man eating Plants is invading.

I need some Round Up.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

What amuses me is that nobody would give a hoot if the "locally unique species" were a type of dandelion with round leaves or blue flowers or something. Bald Cypress grows like mad out there, but where are all the people suggesting Bald Cypress came from an alien impact?

How about all the weird orchids and lilies around the world, most of which are found only in one corner of some island or the like?

Well...present us with some unique specimens to discuss. Keep in mind, there is nothing nearly as unique (at least, that i am aware of) as the venus flytrap.

And don't get me started about how viruses exist in space, and have been part of "evolution" on this planet for eon's. Life is the rule, not the exception.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I'm not debunking. I think it's a great idea to look into the meteor crater thing. I posted a link to a carnivorous plant FAQ earlier in the thread.
looks like there are some pretty cool wicked ones all over

This the Cape sundew

exernal source

Carnivorous plants (sometimes called insectivorous plants) are plants that derive some or most of their nutrients (but not energy) from trapping and consuming animals or protozoans, most focusing on insects and other arthropods. Carnivorous plants usually grow in places where the soil is thin or poor in nutrients, especially nitrogen, such as acidic bogs and rock outcroppings. Charles Darwin wrote the first well-known treatise on carnivorous plants in 1875.[1]

True carnivory is thought to have evolved in at least 10 separate lineages of plants, and these are now represented by more than a dozen genera in 5 families. These include about 625 species that attract and trap prey, produce digestive enzymes, and absorb the resulting available nutrients. Additionally, over 300 protocarnivorous plant species in several genera show some but not all these characteristics.

wikipedia

[edit on 2/21/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

Transylvania county is Sapphire Valley NC right.... tons of waterfalls there too

I've been to Franklin too. We're not too far apart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible Impact Craters

The area we are talking about Carolina Beach is in the very bottom of the coast. Check this link for possible craters. It seems like it's not a definite, but a theory that the bay was created by an meteor.

www.geocities.com...

[edit on 2/21/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

How about parasitic plants, like dodder? Or if you want a limited geographic range, how about narrowing it down to the Rafflesia genus on Borneo?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
These impact sites are not to far away from North Carolina. Something hit the eastern seaboard millions of years ago and it was pretty big.

New Jersey Crater Site
Chesapeake Bay, NJ
Chesapeake Bay Crater buried 300–500 meters beneath the lower part of the Chesapeake Bay and its surrounding peninsulas. This impact crater was formed by a bolide that impacted the eastern shore of North America about 35.5 million years ago. Chesapeake Bay Crater is one of the best-preserved marine impact craters, and the second largest impact crater in the U.S. The entire circular crater is about 85 km in diameter and 1.3 km deep, an area twice the size of Rhode Island, and nearly as deep as the Grand Canyon.

New Jersey
Toms Canyon Crater, an impact crater is located about 100 mi. east of Atlantic City, New Jersey. Toms Canyon Crater is the site where one or more objects from space struck the Atlantic continental shelf, about 35 million years ago.
Clickable New Jersey Map

New Jersey Crater Site

[edit on 21-2-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Nothing ET ever happened here.
Its an oxymoron.. or confusing statement.
Its either here or it is not.

Any way those plants live in poor soil areas.
So they eat flies. They don't need the pollination that much.

An ET crater would push out the good top soil and expose poor soil.

ET was always cosmic events like in Worlds in Collision.
Now that had great ET events.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

You’re probably right I can’t find any real evidence of a meteor impact site in the Carolinas. I wonder where this story came from and how old it is; it could go back all the way to the 1700s when Arthur Dobbs first discovered the flytrap.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
possible crater area 4 on the map that I linked above is right where they grow

link didnt work

try this area4
www.geocities.com...

[edit on 2/22/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

How about parasitic plants, like dodder? Or if you want a limited geographic range, how about narrowing it down to the Rafflesia genus on Borneo?

Mind you, I am not proposing this as MY solution. I am just playing devils advocate using information I have already personally considered in the past (my conclusions are: undecided, but probable).

But to make a true analogy in comparison, are there other plants that we are aware of that:

1. are carnivorous, or use some other "food" supply
2. grow in a VERY localized region
3. have a unique function (the VF has "jaws" and "teeth" that actually act as lips more than teeth).

The region itself is interesting in more ways than one. I am just curious to see if you have information I have yet to consider that may sway my current opinion.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

You're entire being is ET based! Checkout this video, there is thread on this as well!

video.google.com...

<< 1  2   >>

join