It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus Flytrap native only to N. Carolina, in a meteor impact crater. Aliens from another planet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I searched online and could find no solid evidence; I did find this in the book that turned me on to the whole idea, "Strange Creatures From Time and Space”. by John A. Keel.

The famous Venus's-fllytrap, a bug-consuming plant, has been found growing naturally in only one spot on the earth. That spot is an ancient meteor crater in North Carolina. Colonial Governor Arthur Dobbs discovered the flytrap in 1760, and there has been much speculation since then that the plant was somehow introduced to our world by a crashing meteor.

The copyright on the book is 1970 with some of the articles dating back to the late 60’s, so the idea is little older then some internet hoax.

Despite the Sci-Fi name the book is not too bad, talking about ancient and modern sightings of UFOs, Mothman, the skunk ape, and many other strange accounts of creatures and beings.

The Flytrap may be a 10 million year old descendent of other faraway relatives: If I remember correctly wasn’t there a few miles of ice over the Carolina's a lot more recently then a few million years ago? Could such a delicate species survive that? Maybe birds could have brought them from far off, or back when there was only one continent like Pangaea, N. Carolina was connected to the other areas where these carnivorous plants existed. I guess if you can survive living in space you can survive a thousand years under two miles of ice.

I also believe there were ancient trade routes with the entire world way before Columbus. These insect eating plants could have been brought to North America and traded for goods with the Native Americans; they must have seemed magical. Maybe natives planted the colony that exists in the Carolina's?

I still like the meteor idea the best. Maybe the meteor originally hit Pangaea and when the continents broke up that is how they became dispersed around the world, and after millions of years of evolution they became different? Based on the great input from more educated posters in the areas of botany, I’m probably wrong.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

[edit on 20-2-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this one: i've never heard about it

I've found an article, in which some speculations have been made:

Even though the Venus Flytrap has been successfully transplanted to other regions all over the globe, it is only found naturally in a 100 mile radius around Wilmington, North Carolina. Enveloping only a couple of counties in North and South Carolina. It thrives best in heat, and in swamps. The strange thing is that in the middle of the Flytrap's natural territory, there appears to be several small impact craters from a meteor shower. These craters-and the fact that the Flytrap's native territory is so small and surrounds these craters-is only part of the evidence of the Venus Flytrap's extraterrestrial origin.

Credits: Stephanie A. Smith
Source / Full article
www.helium.com...

Venus fly trap videos

It has been an interesting reading to say the least, for me.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This one is short and sweet...

Google Video Link

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The first thing before anything could ever be determined about the origin of this species, is to answer two questions to try and exclude human interference,

1 How old is the impact crater itself, and type of meteorite.

2 When was it officially recognised as an impact crater.

The first to determine if it was in modern times where stories could have been told of its existance And the second is to determine that if it was recent times then the chance of implantation becomes the most likley answer.

But to be honest i dont have a clue, and not sure what i even asked

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The species grows naturally in Carolian Bays - a unique geological feature on the Eastern North American Coast. These are relatively regular, oval-shaped depressions, usually filled with water.

There was some speculation that these are impact craters, but for a few problems... one, there are no circular ones. Two, in the soft soil, they would have eroded quickly. Three, no meterorite material (Unakite is not exclusive to North Carolina, but is found globally. It's an altered granite with quartz inclusions, no biggie).

My personal theories about the carolina bays? Alligators. Lots and lots of alligators

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Most likely due to the micro climate associated with such a unusual geological feature and it has adapted/evolved as such. But... ya never know
DNA would prove it I'd say.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think this is just a coincidence. Every area will have some species of plant/animal/fungi that is unique to that location - it just so happens, that Venus fly traps are found in that particular spot.

There are many weird and wonderful plants that are just as alien in appearance and/or behavior. Carnivorous plants are also often found in places where nutrients may be hard to obtain from the soil, and there are quite a few that I am aware of, for instance the Sundew:

Pitcher plants:

Here's another weird one - the Dodder which is parasitic on other plants:

Google Video Link

Life often finds seemingly unusual ways to gain a foothold where it might otherwise not have a chance without some unique adaptations.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hi.. not trying to be a stickler, but I noticed that you stated that they grow in nitrogen rich soil...It's actually the opposite. The soil in which they grow is very low in nitrogen concentration.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Thats right! Also, in my town, Franklin, we have the only ruby miones that produce fine quality gemstones. A mine is about a two minute walk from me..sapphires are here too but the real huge ones are a little west of me in the area near Canton on the way to Asheville..a guy there has world record star sapphires, several, and many kore are in the area. Its a lot of fun to mine on weekends and one can find some nice stones now and then.

On my next trip to the coast, I will harvest a few of the flytraps to bring home and propagate. Speaking of gems, though, there is a diamond mine in Arkansas that is national park property and open to the public to dig...many nice diamonds have been found there, and on my way to Humboldt County for some argicultural bliss I am stoppoing there for a try at diamonds...neat stuff.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
reply to post by an0maly33

Don't forget the North Florida population.

Yes, there are a lot of carnivorous Floridians!

How many of the carnivorous plants are near impact craters, and how much of the spread of the plants be attributed to bird migration when small sections are found outside of the natural habitat?

Are all carnivorous plants of the same genealogy?

And lastly, how do we know we aren't all transplants from a dying civilizations (tens of) thousands of years ago?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jojoKnowsBest

I can completely belive that many of our plants are from outer space... magic mushrooms, '___', Salvia, etc.. Terence Mckenna is the man that wrote many books on this subject, he mentions how these plants are not here by accident and for us to experience with, as they open our perception of "reality".

I've tried '___' and I can tell you, it's NOT a hillusination, you litterly leave your body and end up on a different plane of reality and even communicate with other intellegent entities. It was a spiritual evolution. It opened my eyes to possibilities. It allowed me for a short period of time to see what our world is made up and helped me understand just a bit more about the other side. Something so beautiful ... how could it be illegal you ask?

It is very strange how these completely safe natrual "plant drugs" are illegal in most states, yet ciggerets and alcohal are legal. MMmmm wonder what kills more people ... I don't believe our government has our best intrest in mind, you must be blind NOT to see that. I think they intentionally made these natural plant chemicals illegal for only purpose of keep us closed minded to what "really" is going on in our world.

I feel like as a grown man I can make my OWN decision on what I can and can not try with my own body/soul as long as I'm not creating harm to others. It is part of my human nature to be curious. Explore the gifts that our world is giving us... it's not an accident it's here. Nothing is an accident. You complex being is not an accident nor the life around us.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Also lookup this 1970s documantary, it got some cheezy moments but the research parts were very intresting.

Secret life of planets

video.google.ca...

Cheers,

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
A simple check of the DNA would show it's off this world... unless of course we're from the same place.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

Yes my Mom is a big fan of Terrance. He did a lot of mushrooms; oddly enough the cancer he died of looked very mushroom-like.

I myself am occasionally guilty of imbibing in a certain green leafy substance, but in the wrong hands and immature minds these powerful substances can be dangerous.

The first time I tried that green leafy substance was when I was 14 resulting in a very paranoid jojo calling 911 thinking he was dying. No Joke, snd never try to measure your heart rate in an altered state, because if you counted 180 beats per minute you would think your dying to.

I was listening to C to C and a person was talking about Iawaska and how the natives used it religiously to explore the spiritual plain. I was riveted. I don’t remember the guys name but he even brought his kids down to, I think to Brazil, to drink the Iawasaka because of his profound spiritual experiences.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

lol, yes. Well I think anyone can try it, but it will be VERY difficult for someone to understand it, if they're closed minded. It will BREAK everything you think you know about life and the world around us. It is a spiritual shift. Terrence actually got involved with all this through meeting shamans of the native in Brazil and other places. He learned many things from them, so he studied these plants for decades. There are lot of clips of him on youtube talking about it, it's amazing listening to him.

Before doing '___' and similar chemicals, you need to truly understand it by researching it. It is consider a spiritual practice, in fact '___' is a natural chemical being created in our brain, it is in our Pineal Glands (still a mystery to scientist what this gland do) but when we're born, our brain naturally creates TONS of this chemical and slowly fades to very little through out our entire life time. Oddly enough when people have near the death experiences or about to die the brain naturally recreates this chemical. Some say it's a tool to allow a easy transit to other dimensions (where we go and come from). I can truly understand that now.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here is more info on the venus flytrap

The Venus Flytrap is found in nitrogen-poor environments, such as bogs. Although it has been successfully transplanted and grown in many locales around the world, it is found natively only in North and South Carolina in the United States, specifically within a 100 mile radius of Wilmington, North Carolina. There also appears to be a naturalised stand of Venus Flytraps in northern Florida. It may have been introduced to that area by birds dropping the seeds in their feces as the area is on a bird flyway from North and South Carolina. One such place is North Carolina's Green Swamp. The nutritional poverty of the soil is the reason that the plant relies on such elaborate traps: insect prey provide the nitrogen for protein formation that the soil cannot. The Venus Flytrap is not a tropical plant and can tolerate mild winters. In fact, Venus Flytraps that do not go through a period of winter dormancy will weaken and die after a period of time.

Here is the link with more information on VF

en.wikipedia.org...

www.botany.org...

Also, another poster mentioned it earlier, but I cannot find anything on meteor craters in North Carolina

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I was born and raised in Southeastern NC. The only meteor hit in that area is White Lake which is said to have been created by a meteor. I seen and had Venus Flytraps. They do catch a fly and close on them.

White Lake is not near where the Venus Flytraps lives. It lives on the coast near Wilmington. I have not seen any evidence that a UFO or anything else has anything to do with the Venus Flytrap.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by CLT1985]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I am pretty sure the Venus Flytrap is not only native to Carolina but other places as well.....there are areas in WV that have carniverous plants and I do think the V fly trap is one such plant......whats so unusual.....

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I am pretty sure the Venus Flytrap is not only native to Carolina but other places as well.....there are areas in WV that have carniverous plants and I do think the V fly trap is one such plant......whats so unusual.....

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I believe the Carolina Bays are an impact site. Not sure what impacted. No, they are not round. They are eliptical. Just like you would expect if something impacted at ungodly speed, from an angle.

There are hundreds of them in the region. No, they haven't eroded. This just means that erosion processes haven't worked....yet.

Using an electric universe principle, perhaps these are electric impact scars from a relatively recent past?

Perhaps a comet broke up?

Something caused them. Without a plausible explanation to refute the impact theory, that is what we gots left.

Now, how does the venus flytrap factor in? Well....it IS the only place on earth that they are found. A couple of guys who were RVers in a past "life" claim that the Carolina Bays event was an impact event, a comet, and was related to the flood myth. Who knows if these guys are credible or not...but the story they tell is as credible as anything else out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join