It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Riots Actually Reduced Gonorrhea Cases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
1992. I still remember the images on CNN of burning cars, smashed storefront windows, that Korean shop keeper capping his gun at looters ahead of him.

It certainly was a crazy time. And a major disaster for LA County.

But, I found this study that indicated something good came out of the riots. More notably, it exposed a direct connection between Gonorrhea and liquor stores!

This 2004 study showed marked declines in Gonorrhea cases in neighborhoods where liquor/alcohol stores were unable or unwilling to renew or get new licenses and the stores closed down.

Apparently, there had been long speculation that liquor stores associated with neighborhoods contributed to behavior that spread Gonorrhea cases. This study not only validates that claim, but seems to suggest that limiting liquor stores is one way to combat the disease.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by behindthescenes

Apparently, there had been long speculation that liquor stores associated with neighborhoods contributed to behavior that spread Gonorrhea cases.

Apparently liquor stores also contribute to underage drinking, unwanted pregnancy, underage tobacco sales, lottery addiction, cirrhosis, hangovers, and waking up next to fat chicks.

An odd study to say the least. It seems a bit too focused to be of any use to anyone that isn't in the gonorrhea medication business.

The 2 meds currently prescribed for gonorrhea are (I googled the information and am NOT, repeat, NOT speaking from 1st hand experience ladies)

Suprax made by Lupin Pharm. : www.lupinpharmaceuticals.com...

and

Rocephin: made by Roche US Pharm. : www.rocheusa.com...

Not sure how closely either of these companies are tied to the RAND Corp. but it may explain why the study was conducted in the first place.

join