It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic inquisitions, Will there be MORE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The Spanish inquisition is fairly well known for it's atrocities, but what about

The French one

The Goa inquisition of India?

and The Croation One, Here
And Here just about 60 years ago!

Are these to be dismissed as mistakes by the holy see?

There are probably more, but, I don't have the time and I think these are sufficient.

The militant arm of the vatican, The Jesuits,
Take an oath, to uphold the Holy church.
Jesuit Extreme Oath of Induction
with violence. The end justifies the means.

Needless to say,
Not Christ-like.

If it is official Dogma, who's to say there won't be more?

[edit on 20-2-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just remember all of these were not a skewing of the faith. They were a representation of it. I am not saying it makes what happened "right", or "wrong". It was just their way of expressing their faith to their god.

I am not sure what passages in the Bible the Spaniards were using, I will have to do some digging. But from what I remember they had valid scripture to back what they did. I will say the first part of that again, from what I remember. I will hunt down some defense for that position. However, I think it is mentioned in the documentary "The God Who Wasn't There".

Either way, great thread Clearskies! Many do not know of the other "inquisitions" that took place. And I have noticed that the Spanish one tends to get much flak.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Just remember all of these were not a skewing of the faith. They were a representation of it. I am not saying it makes what happened "right", or "wrong". It was just their way of expressing their faith to their god.

I am not sure what passages in the Bible the Spaniards were using, I will have to do some digging. But from what I remember they had valid scripture to back what they did. I will say the first part of that again, from what I remember. I will hunt down some defense for that position. However, I think it is mentioned in the documentary "The God Who Wasn't There".

Constantine had the manuscripts compiled in Egypt, Many including myself believe he had them altered (Codex Vaticanus and Codex sinaiticus, A and B)
Peter was SUPPOSED to be the first pope, but, Constantine was close in succession. (Apostolic Succession) He gave himself the title 'pontiff'.

Constantine to Hildebrand

It was about control and authority.
Mystery Babylon morphed existing Christianity.
It came in promising peace to believers, but, only if they did things their way.

What manuscripts were available for translation?
New testament manuscripts
" Minority Text (Alexandrian Text) - is based mainly on just two manuscripts, the Vaticanus (also known as "B") and the Sinaiticus (also known as "Aleph"). These manuscripts not only disagree with the Majority Text, but they disagree with each other!"

The Latin Vulgate

Minority Texts, Codex A and B

The Apocrypha

Why I use the King James Version

Many do not know of the other "inquisitions" that took place.

It's not a pleasant topic.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Any more thoughts on this?
What dogma has changed to prevent another crusade or inquisition?

BTW, the office of the holy inquisition is the same thing, only called by the name
office for the holy faith, or something.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Just remember all of these were not a skewing of the faith. They were a representation of it.

Actually, no. It was most definitely a "skewing of the faith." We are told by Jesus himself that under no circumstance are we allowed to kill in His name. We are explicitly told to walk away from those who do not want to accept the faith- not kill, torture, or overtake them. What the Catholic church has done is flat out wrong and a terrible misrepresentation of who they claim to serve.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Originally posted by Clearskies

Archbishop of Whortleberry advocated the return of the inquisition to Brittain

Don't know about the other links you provided but.......
There is not, or never has been an Archbishop Of Whortleberry.

The link you provided, djd.newsvine.com... mentions a Cardinal Biggles.
Sorry to say but he was a character from a Monty Python sketch about The Spanish Inquisition.
orangecow.org...

Now, I'm not saying the other links you provided are of the same standard and there maybe some truth in the essence of your OP but........

Edit to add:

[edit on 20-2-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
...who's to say there won't be more?

Unfortunately, I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach something else will happen eventually- possibly during the tribulation- started by the Catholic church. One cannot help but see how some of the end time prophecies related to the Catholic church and Rome. It's sad because I do consider Catholics my family in Christ but what their leaders are doing is downright false and against the teachings of Christ. It certainly seems the statement, "come out of her, my people" is a direct reference to not be apart of this system of corruption.

I don't mean to offend any Catholics because I love the 'laymen' dearly but it's time to wake up. Get back to your roots of grace through faith- not being controlled by a false system that Jesus never said was necessary.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Thank you!
I've seen almost all of the Monty Python shows and movies when I was young, but, I didn't notice that.
(The website had it as a fact)
I have deleted that, Check out the other links and tell me what you think about the Holy See.
I can assure you that the Inquisitions are not a joke.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I have absolutely no doubt that the rest of the information you provided links to are accurate and from credible sources.
I also have no doubt that there is every possibility that there could be a repeat.
I also have no doubt that most other religions have, and have the potential to, carried out similair actocities.
It is by no means unique to Christianity and Roman Catholocism.
Fortunately, the vast majority of Christians, and I include Roman Catholics, are good honest people who would resist any new Inquisistion.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
my guess is that there was a "bad" translation that justified the actions.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD Unfortunately, I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach something else will happen eventually- possibly during the tribulation- started by the Catholic church. One cannot help but see how some of the end time prophecies related to the Catholic church and Rome.

I absolutely agree... We need to pray for the Catholic followers and show them the false teachings of the Vatican. While I cannot say for sure (who can) When I read the title that the pope wears on his crown "Vicarius Filii Dei" Vicar of the Son of God, it sickens me and I personally view that as the highest blasphemy! Using the Roman Numerals his title equals 666, many probably have seen this before, still important.

I have a few thoughts on where the antichrist arises and one of the main ones is the Vatican/pope. Can I say for sure if one of the pope's will be the antichrist? No, but I wouldn't be suprised one bit and believe it is possible! I find the RCC doctrine to be from Satan himself:

John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me"

Pope John XXIII 'I am the door of the sheep.' Into this fold of Jesus Christ, no man may enter unless he be led by the sovereign pontiff; and only if they be united to him can men be saved, for the Roman pontiff is the vicar of Christ and his personal representative on earth"

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He (Christ) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Catechism pg. 374, # 1495 "Only priests who have received the faculty of absolving from the authority of the Church can forgive sins in the name of Christ"

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus"

Catechism pg. 252 # 969 "Taken up to heaven she (Mary) did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation"

Matthew 23:9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.

Catholic National July 1895 The pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, he is Jesus Christ himself, hidden under the veil of the flesh.

What does all the above have to do with inquisitions? They are completely opposite and against the the Word of our Lord just as the inquisitions were! In the least, If a future pope is not the antichrist, I can see the Vatican creating laws siding with the antichrist that will persecute those who reject them!

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Men corrupt religion, but Faith, genuine Faith, corrupts no man and a man of genuine faith will not be found to corrupt religion. As long as the case remains, in regard to corrupt men navigating religion, the possibilities of inquisitions will remain. Men love power and most power comes via religion and the authority they can gain over the masses.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
That is why Jesus said that he was no part of this world. He also said that his kingdom was no part of this world. Satan offered Jesus the kingdoms of the world on that lofty mountain and he denied him. Jesus did not correct Satan by saying those kingdoms were not his to hand out. Jesus knew they belonged to Satan. The day that Adam and Eve sided with Satan, he became their king. We'll have to wait until he bruises the serpent in the head. (Gen. 2:15)

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Just the Catholics, huh? They got a head start, perhaps. But it wasn't Catholics who slaughtered their way across North America. It isn't Catholics who even now are killing Hindus in Tripura. It wasn't Catholics who came up with Apartheid or the treatment of Australian Aborigines. Catholics didn't invent Christian Identity. And Protestants have been killing people all over Europe ever since the Schism.

It's very strange to see Protestants claiming Catholics are evil and non-Christian because of their atrocities - and the reverse is equally strange.

And you wonder why I don't believe Christians have any sense of responsibility? You guys can't go "Okay, Christians did this" you always go "that wasn't MY denomination, so they're not real Christians!"

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Although you are very keen to recognize the argument I often use, my reply you referenced was referring to anyone who killed for the Christian faith. Jesus never instructed any such thing. In fact, quite the opposite. As a 'follower of Christ,' His teachings are what we should be going by (which apparently is something the people guilty of these atrocities were not doing).

Another member said the atrocities committed were basically a fair representation of the faith but that is not so. So I said in reply what you referenced. If we had been talking about Protestant atrocities and the same thing was said by another poster my reply would have been the same.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I never said it was "fair", in fact I am quite neutral when it comes to others representing their faith. To the inquisitors it was a representation. To me it was neither "right" or "wrong". Right and wrong are in the eyes of the beholders.

PS I do not think you twisted my quote, just misunderstood my meaning. Stupid text based debates!

Now for some levity...

From, "History of the World, Part I" --Mel Brooks

The Inquistion (Let’s Begin)
The Inquisition (Look out sin)
We have a mission
To convert the Jew (Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew)
We’re gonna teach them (Wrong from right)
We’re gonna help them (See the light)
And make an offer that they can’t refuse.
(That the Jews just can’t refuse)

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hello!

As someone who regularly defends Catholicism here and attempts to separate fact from (what I believe to be) fiction, I don't believed that it would be intellectually honest for me to ignore this thread.

I could (and have) debated topics that are present in the thread but are tangential to the op (including the supposed Jesuit oath), but concerning the listed inquisitions; they were an abomination and deserve nothing less than condemnation.

Proselytizing at the edge of a sword is heinous, evil and reprehensible.

Eric

top topics

join