It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edible Plant books w/ Illustrations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Does anyone know of any really good books on edible plants with photos or really good illustrations. I have the old Army survival handbook but the drawings aren't exactly the greatest. I would like to go out and test some of these things out so I will be used to the sight and taste of these things, if I have to.
Also, I think this would be something great to know as well.

Any book titles? Please help.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pkpao

PK, look for " Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest" by Delana Tull. It includes recipes and which plants to avoid. Texas has every type of terrain except rain forest and tundra. You can also hit most decent book stores and they should have a outdoors section or local wild plants guide for your area. Believe it or not both cholla and jumping cactus have edible parts . I know both are fairly abundant in the Yuma area.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I can recomend the SAS survival guide by John "Lofty" Wiseman it covers a wide variety of edile plants in all types of climates it also has good illustrastions and a host of information about surving in the wild or in the event of a disaster such as flood hurricanes wars and even nuclear conflict. I particularly liked the table that showed the necessar thickness of varying materials required to block out 50% of radiation in a area of nuclear fall out. Well worth a read.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The greatest edible plant book I have ever read is "The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing... Edible Wild Plants" by Samuel Thayer, Insanely detailed with many many pictures of each plant in full color photos in many different stages of development for even more accurate identification.

I wish I could show you the book, he goes into crazy detail about every aspect of the plant and any thing related to it, cooking it, growing it, finding it, harvesting it, etc... It is for the Norther Portion of the US and Southern part of Canada.

I have all the military manuals and trust me this book is WAY better than any FM manual I have on hand. For a novice or an experienced camper this is a must have. I got mine for less than $20 on Amazon including shipping (brand new)

Dude I could go on, but seriously this is the book... I have told all of my umm other BUG'out'ers...lol... and they all have a copy too.

Well I am going to stop now...

top topics

join