It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida will teach evolution but only as theory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

You get the same thing from the other side with teachers actively killing god in the classroom. Pushing a kid to not believe is just as sinister as pushing a kid to believe. For every "win" some bible thumper feels by forcing an opinion there is an atheist reveling in the same joy derived from forcing his opinion.

I never had any teacher, instructor or professor, try and force me to adopt anykind of atheistic dogma. Critical thinking; yes.
Even in University, thru grad school and post grad, I never had any prof. sling anykind of dogma at me like I experienced in grade school, Jr. high and highschool, from the Evangelical teachers. If anything the Christians punished you for even attempting "critical thinking"

I think some here could benefit from a few courses in logic and lateral thinking instead of spouting Rush dogma.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Oh for petes sake don't be so stupid. "It never happened to me so it doesn't happen"

Seriously? Fail.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Oh for petes sake don't be so stupid. "It never happened to me so it doesn't happen"

Seriously? Fail.

I never said it doesn't happen. I just relayed my experience.

Tell us about your experiences with atheists in school if you don't mind.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I never said it doesn't happen. I just relayed my experience.

Tell us about your experiences with atheists in school if you don't mind.

See, when you opened up your reply with "BS" that would mean you are calling my statement false. Claiming my statement of equal fault as false then proceeding to state your experience as true is you saying it doesn't happen. If you want to edit out the "BS" then I can accept your claim of never saying it does not happen. Maybe you should brush up on some of those logic classes you love so much.

Never had any experience with the atheists or the godies in school. I read my textbooks and passed the tests. I never bothered with the lectures in college so who knows what they were talking about. Just did my assignments according to the syllabus and tolerated my surroundings as best I could until graduation and burned the bridge.

High school was a wash. Never really went to class just read the material and showed up on test day just long enough to take the test. Grade school was pointless babysitting.

I think I can honestly say no teacher has ever taught me anything.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Actually growing up in the 'Bible Belt', I've NEVER
heard a teacher or staff say Anything about faith.
Of course, I quit in the 9th grade.
Everything but having fun seemed pointless!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Growing up in the Bible Belt... That would be like growing up in Detroit and saying "A teacher never tried to make me hate the Lions" Well duh, you're in Detroit, its assumed you hate the Lions cause they suck.

Anyways, science belongs in science class, committing genocide on the Indians, Jews, Blacks, Muslims, belongs in the Church. Keep them seperate!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I was alluding to what whaaa
had said;

The problem isn't with the "theories" it's with the teachers that subscribe to a dogma and feel it is their God given purpose in life to "witness" and win as many converts as possible. I have had teachers in mid school tell me that I was a sinner and I will burn in Hell with the rest of the people that didn't believe the way she did. I would expect that in the deep south like Florida there are plenty of teachers, administrators and even school board members that think Christianity should be taught in the public schools.

I grew up living in nearly EVERY Southeastern state and I've NEVER heard about anyones' faith!

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

reply to HHH is King
Technically evolution is still a theory. So? So is gravity. So? Because some Jesus-freak won't test it by jumping off a building doesn't make him a hypocrite. It makes him better than stupid. It's quite obvious things fall when tossed up or dropped off and gravity is a damn good explanation. The exact physics of it are still unproven and open to debate. We know the "what happens" part of gravity but we don't know the how or why part. It's enough to know you should not jump off a building. Suggesting it be tested by throwing oneself from a building is moronic.

Well, if they say Evolution is wrong because it's just a theory, they need to jump out of a plane/tall building to prove gravity is wrong because it is just a Theory. if they don't they need to shut up and go back to church with their little kids and Father McPedo.

<< 1   >>

join