It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Censorship Policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
OK, I've been censored with a (c), and I've seen violations censored with a (v), but what happens if you spend the points to have the censor turned off?

Does it allow you to use words that would otherwise be violations? And also, would it allow me to call myself or anyone else a "n&wbie".

That's OK I'll just call them nubiles or nubians or something like that.

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'll call 'em NUBBYS!!!

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Terms and Conditions of Use 4.) You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. This applies to material posted to collaborative fiction and member short story forums. The "turn off censor" feature within the ATS store simply changes how you see posts, not how your posts are displayed. While an automatic censor system is in place, members are punished for extensive use of profanity. [Edited on 17-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Great. I was just wondering if I wanted to spend the points or not. I don't use a lot of profanity, but sometimes it clarifies context, uh, I mean, drives a point home...

Guess I'll just have to be more creative then.

Thanks,
DeltaChaos

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Great. I was just wondering if I wanted to spend the points or not. I don't use a lot of profanity, but sometimes it clarifies context, uh, I mean, drives a point home...

Thanks,
DeltaChaos

I would bet a million dollars that you hate authority. hehe. Always trying to beat the system.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Thanks,
DeltaChaos

There really aren't any situations where it "drives home a point." It's just shouting profanities, and after a point it's so much noise. Sort of the typewritten equivalent of a chimpanzee hopping up and down and screaming -- after you've seen one chimp shrieking, you've sort of seen them all.

I don't curse/swear, even when I'm furious... but when I get angry, I scare far more people than your average chest-thumping foul-mouthed knuckledragger does.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
How come some people can swear in ATS chat and others get censorsed?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I don't curse/swear, even when I'm furious... but when I get angry, I scare far more people than your average chest-thumping foul-mouthed knuckledragger does.

I agree that in most common usage, profanity belies a lack of creativity and poor expression, and is in most cases a bar to communication, where explatives are substituted for words that would more effectively convey meaning.

And generally I agree with your statement, but it IS an overstatement, as it's implications are simply too vast.

Some of my all time favorite Knuckledraggers:

George Carlin
Robin Williams
Al Pacino
Quentin Tarantino
Jello Biafra
Dwight Eisenhower
Hank Rollins

and last but not least...

Samuel Clemens

Love ya,

DeltaChaos

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza

It's technique. Not what you say, but how you say it. It's a neat trick, but if the Chat room is not meant to use expletives, then why use the trick?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Sort of the typewritten equivalent of a chimpanzee hopping up and down and screaming -- after you've seen one chimp shrieking, you've sort of seen them all.

Now this is a visual....

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I do not use tricks in ATS chat.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I do not use tricks in ATS chat.

Good to hear!

I was letting you know that swearing in Chat is a simple trick, like bending a spoon or surviving handcuffed and bound in a trunk on the bottom of the seabed for three weeks.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I can swear in ATS chat but do not know any thing about these tricks you are talking about.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I didn't know you were privileged that way!

I'm not! I just found the trick for swearing in Chat from seeing it applied in a post on one of the Forums recently. But I won't use it, or swear in Chat... except by using a word au naturale and seeing it censored.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

pizza is right. When you purchase the "censor off" other people can see your use of profanity in the chat.

new topics

top topics

join