It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Gays be allowed in the Military?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I was watching Dan Abrams on MSNBC and one of his closing statements was the heated topic of "Should gays be allowed in the military?" I think just recently, we fired a few gay Arabic Translators due to the fact that they were gay. I personally think that if you are willing to put your life on the line for your country, whether gay or straight, you should be allowed to join, that is if you can conduct yourself in a mature normal fashion. If you are just joining to get some �action� or if you can�t act �proper� then I would have to say no.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It is an interesting debate. There are several issues though that people debate. Yes, a gay can pull a trigger or fly a plane or use a computer just as well as a heterosexual. But many heterosexual men feel threatened when they are looked upon sexually by other men. But I think the problem is even deeper rooted than that. One of the main reasons females are not allowed to be in combat (or werent, Im not sure anymore) is that it was felt that if a man sees a female and a male injured on the battlefield, the man will most likely try to help the woman first, which may not always be the most logical response.

So I gather that alot of heterosexual men would have a hard time accepting orders they did not agree with from an officer or higher rank they knew to be homosexual. It again is not a logical response, what does making a battlefield desicion have to do with a persons sexuality. Nothing. But my feeling is that a heterosexual man would more times than not feel threatened by a homosexual giving orders.

Thats just some of my thoughts on it. Segregating the homosexuals from the heterosexuals is not a great idea either.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The military is no place to push social engineering. Whether it is because a man who is a homosexual will respond in combat situations as straight man would respond with a woman in the foxhole, or if it is because of the open showers reason, or whatever angle one would like to see it, the military is not the place to change society.

The military, because it serves the function that it does, should be the last place anything that would interfere with unit morale should be set into place.

It's simple as it is, don't ask, don't tell.

Once again, because it can't be stressed enough, the military is not the place for social engineering.

As it is (or was, for many of us older folk), how many here serve(d) with homosexuals and knew it? I knew several. We served, trained, worked drank and fought together regardless. Of course, not everyone knew as most had a problem with it, and back then it was not their desire to push an issue or disturb unit morale.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Don't ask don't tell is good. But hey, if you join the military, and wanna kill the enemy, go ahead, screw whatever you want. You like sheep? Oh, from New Zealand, well, here a uzi, a sheep, and there the enemy, shoot! You like watermelons? Here a watermelon and a m-16 go! As long as you kill the enemy, who am I to say what or who you can screw?

top topics

join