It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if I have found a way to immortality?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Yep, I know you find it hard to believe, but suppose it is true. I assure you, I have real moral issues about sharing this knowledge. Therefore I want to consult ATS about what should one do?

I mean, there's lot of money available to one with knowledge like this, but I don't value person by his wealth - but a poor person can be just as immoral as rich and fat (and ill), when received with a gift of immortality.

Should I form some school, or tradition or some religious movement around this knowledge? No, because it wouldn't be moral to rise some people above the others. This is real problem for me as well, I cannot use the knowledge because I would elevate myself, and therefore I would just be very lonely in my immortality.

Should I tell it to everyone then? No way, currently there are way many people inhabiting the earth, and if they cease to die what a catastrophy we would have at our door? Mankind just seems not to be ready for such gift. Then you wonder why you aren't immortal? Maybe I just have to die with the knowledge I have

[Mod Edit: Title edit as requested - Jak]

[edit on 20/2/08 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You can go ahead and tell everybody because it's not true. There is no such thing as immortality besides the passing of energy after ones death. Your body cannot house your organs forever because it slowly deteriorates throughout your life time as cells become weaker and can no longer carry out the functionality as well as they once could.

You would have to keep feeding your body with new functional cells all over your body and organs at all times, and even that is so questionable that its not only impossible but ridiculous to say the least.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You are remembered not by what is engraved on stone monuments...but by what is woven into the hearts of other`s ~Pericles~

theres your way to immortality

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

So, is this a hypothetical proposition? Or are you asserting that you can be immortal? I'm not clear on what you're suggesting.

If it's the ethics of only telling a few....simple fix, tell everyone.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Are you talking about physical immortality or the kind of immortality enjoyed by the likes of Plato and Aristotle?

The former is impossible IMO and the later is not easily attainable.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
...Maybe I just have to die with the knowledge I have

So am I to assume that you are not going to become immortal? Or is this some kind of philosophical immortality? Either way, I find both hard to believe, well without some type of "proof".

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
Your body cannot house your organs forever because it slowly deteriorates throughout your life time as cells become weaker and can no longer carry out the functionality as well as they once could.

methinks this is not the case. cells in body are in constant process. you dont have many same cells in your body right now that you had when you was a little child. there is some trigger that ceases cells to renew and formation of new cells. besides, i think what he means is that he knows that he has immortal soul as does everyone else - but maybe telling that in a specific way so that all would realize it, would be catasrophix.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
how would you prove immorality wed all be dead by the time wed know you were living long enough at that point it wouldnt matter, lol

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Yes it is, merely hypothetical.

reply to post by Gools

Later one really.

reply to post by adigregorio

Thats right. I have to die as well, unless people awake in 2012 so that I can share my secret
(gosh, I'm not 2012 believer really)

reply to post by Geemor

That one was a close one

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think this thread is an excuse to boost your points on ATS lol. Obviously there is no such thing as immortality realistically and to think otherwise is insane. If your not going to share then why should we keep guessing at what your hinting at? Waste of time when we can look at awesome videos of UFOs which provide legitimate evidence.

You don't provide legitimate evidence, in fact you fail to even completely explain your target idea.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

No it isn't. It just popped into my mind and I thought it would be a serious philosophical topic, but so tinfoiled that I posted it on teh skunk works!
Now if you exuse me, could you please focus on the topic. What should I do? (instead of hanging myself)

[edit on 19-2-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Is it Gerostratus like immortality? Because we all will be better without it, Clinton realy invested in that library.
Actualy, i am not that sure that immortality for human is a good thing. Any type of immortality.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I doubt he's talking about the soul. I can't see that as being catastrophic to others. If anything it'd relieve a whole lot of stress on this planet. if people had true proof of a soul rather than just faith.

Humans lifespans will increase dramatically in the future. Cyborgs may even have the opportunity to be immortal if they so choose. It's only a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

What should I do? (instead of hanging myself)

Hypothetically speaking right?....

Maybe you should hypothetically hang yourself.

Seriously.....don't do anything; it's hypothetical, remember?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

reply to post by blowfishdl

No it isn't. It just popped into my mind and I thought it would be a serious philosophical topic, but so tinfoiled that I posted it on teh skunk works!
Now if you exuse me, could you please focus on the topic. What should I do? (instead of hanging myself)

Whoa buddy don't hang yourself thats some really serious effed up talk! Your just being a little disillusion. Your life is as fragile as a newborn babies and can be taken from you in a blink of an eye. Don't convince yourself otherwise!

If you can die by hanging you can die by car wreck. Just stop this thread please theres no such thing as immortality and if there was you wouldn't have been the one to discover it. It would've been known from ancient teachings. (no offense, but seriously)

It is a philosophical topic, immortality that is. Just don't claim its possible because it is a skewed perception on the philosophy of life and impossible.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Sorry, I don't know what is Gerostratus like immortality, but you my friend that are in Israel, are correct. It just as I think of it.. Physical immortality might be bad thing to mankind right now.. Maybe if they were more responsible, then maybe.

Originally posted by MrPenny

Seriously.....don't do anything; it's hypothetical, remember?

Of course
I was just joking because I thought I had just hurt someone's feelings by posting something which obviously was crappage

Whoa buddy don't hang yourself thats some really serious effed up talk! Your just being a little disillusion. Your life is as fragile as a newborn babies and can be taken from you in a blink of an eye. Don't convince yourself otherwise!

If you can die by hanging you can die by car wreck. Just stop this thread please theres no such thing as immortality and if there was you wouldn't have been the one to discover it. It would've been known from ancient teachings. (no offense, but seriously)

It is a philosophical topic, immortality that is. Just don't claim its possible because it is a skewed perception on the philosophy of life and impossible.

Sorry about posting it in this form, I thought it would been obvious as it was on the skunk works. No worries, I'm not hanging myself, and you my friend, made a very valid point about that hanging! I just realized that I might be dead (accidentally - I'm not suicidal type) before 2012
(referring to my earlier statements above)

[edit]

theres no such thing as immortality and if there was you wouldn't have been the one to discover it.

A-ha, I'm not so sure about that! In fact, you should read Geemor's post above. I think it was appointed to you.
[/edit]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I suspect that out there in the world there might be immortals walking among us.

Is it impossible that, among the billions who have lived and died, there hasn't been the odd mutation that has bestowed upon someone immortality?... Even if it's a lifespan that measures hundred OR thousands of years, instead of the 80+ of today, it would still be immortality by comparison.

Who's to say that someone, somewhere hasn't developed the capacity to renew their cells WITHOUT the next generation being slightly faultier than the previous one... coupled with the capacity to renew ALL cells ad infinitum.

As mutations go it doesn't seem TOTALLY impossible, so perhaps he or she is out there. Out there watching generations come and go, leading a life and then moving on so they can start anew elsewhere.

Maybe there's more than one... maybe the hidden elite we all go on about, the ones who really pull the strings, are them.... Or maybe one of the reasons they stay so well hidden is to hide from those elite.

Who knows... but IMO it's not an impossibility

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Sure, please let us all know how we all could achieve immortality and never die in our current forms or see 'heaven' or 'hell'. If this is as easy as swallowing a pill, there shouldn't be any harm in letting at least a few (if not all) live as long as you.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
geemor: yes, but they never come back quite as good as the ones they replaced. this degradation is what we call aging.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

as you say, but who are we?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join