It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Where are you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OSSkyWatcher

i have no power over the content of this site, and neither do my fellow non mod members

Within the T&C, which covers civilized conduct and legality, you have a lot of power over the content of this website. But if you choose to believe that you dont, I wont argue with you.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

NBC advertises here, like am i really seeing that NBC is paying ATS to show NBC's political videos?

Yes. We were approached by MSNBC to display these ads. Do you see any issue with that?

i have no power over the content of this site, and neither do my fellow non mod members

Actually, you're wrong. Topics (other than defined in the T&C) are not managed by staff, not even myself. We have a "hands off" and completely neutral editorial policy. 100% of what happens on ATS is up to our members... the entire make-up of the home page, forum summary pages, hot topics, and top topics pages are completely up to you and our members through your replies and flagging.

An interesting side note... we recently lost a significant advertising initiative with the History Channel due to the content of a thread displayed on our home page they felt was inappropriate. They would have reconsidered if we just removed it from our home page... but I can't and we wouldn't.

Originally posted by enjoies05
Like this Four days, and no one knows anything? C'mon.

I've been battling a nasty flu while trying to prepare for an important meeting (requiring travel) for ATS MIX... this is the first I've seen of that issue. I'm not able to duplicate it on my end... could you U2U me a screen shot of what you're seeing?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Within the T&C, which covers civilized conduct and legality, you have a lot of power over the content of this website. But if you choose to believe that you dont, I wont argue with you.

don't argue with me, i don't want that

just tell me how we have any power posting on webspace we don't own

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

just tell me how we have any power posting on webspace we don't own

Read my post above yours.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

NBC advertises here, like am i really seeing that NBC is paying ATS to show NBC's political videos?

Yes. We were approached by MSNBC to display these ads. Do you see any issue with that?

heck yes i see an issue, the site gets money from NBC, NBC pays someones bills here so...

the old saying is something about biting the hand that feeds you

also it's insane for you to DENY THE FACT that the ATS members do not own the site, and therefore have 0 say

i understand we can post, and i understand the majority of members here make up the ATS content

but at the end of the day, if the webspace owner says "no more, i am pulling the plug"

that's it for the members

we do not own this webspace, therefore we have no right to say what is or is not on it

personally i do see that you need money to keep the site up

but the fact that you are gonna have NBC ads here, then have members who regularly discredit the mainstream media...personally doesn't make me feel too comfortable posting here

[edit on 19-2-2008 by OSSkyWatcher]

also

EVERYONE has the flu right now lol

i was asked twice today (i have a cold) if i had the flu when i told people i was sick so i am not trying to argue here

i am just a concerned member, and i do feel the site isn't right compared to when i first started viewing and then when i joined the site

i am not trying to make enemies or get banned or be a nuisance, i am concerned that's all and if i don't direct that properly that's my fault

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I find it interesting that some think that because they raise concerns that they may be banned. We just had a memo from head office a couple of weeks ago that prompted staff to say why their manager was great, or, if not, why not? The input is needed for the company to sustain itself.

Questions asked here are valid ones. The perception that we, as staff, aren't open to criticism comes from those that use this option and have a personal agenda. They have an ax to grind, it's not constructive, it's devisive.

The fact that the time was taken to voice concerns means that you care about our site. That's members and staff(who are members as well) alike. I think that all that DO care about ATS consider it "ours".

That being said, ATS is not static, it evolves. Member that have been here for years can tell you how much it has changed and reached out to a greater audience. You should have seen how cheesy it was 3-4 years ago. Many wouldn't have given it a second look. That's the work of S.O. constantly retooling(he's a busy guy enjoies and the only one that can answer your question), giving ATS a broader reach so that more people will come here and share with all of us.

Sometimes we attract negative input, we deal with that as quickly as we can. As to this thread, thank you for your input, it's listened to. It's NOT negative input.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OSSkyWatcher

Please do tell, how would you build your website without "stipulation-free" advertising dollars? I'd really like to hear.

SO already said they turned down The History Channel's advertising dollars because of a stipulation made by the network.

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
An interesting side note... we recently lost a significant advertising initiative with the History Channel due to the content of a thread displayed on our home page they felt was inappropriate. They would have reconsidered if we just removed it from our home page... but I can't and we wouldn't.

Oh? Do tell.
Any chance you'd clue us in on the thread?

Good for you, man really. Way to stick by the members and content instead of caving into the almighty dollar with censorship by your advertisers attached!

[edit on 19-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

also it's insane for you to DENY THE FACT that the ATS members do not own the site, and therefore have 0 say

Could you please point out where I am saying that ats members own this site?

Thanks for the support.

EDIT: I think I said "you have power over the CONTENT of this site".

[edit on 19-2-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I don't see the problem here. If you are so against the way this site is run, you know where the door is. No one is forcing you to be here.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
let me deny my own ignorance here

maybe NBC is lending a secret helping hand because they enjoy what is posted here

maybe they are helping the cause

and maybe the site can't disclose that for w/e reason

i didn't read back what i said earlier

the members do not own the site, and therefore have no say when it comes down to it

if you are gonna say we have power over the site

where is my login name and password to edit the HTML?

i don't want to get into any arguements so please try to let me reply to all of you individually as i will try to carry on about 5 conversations in one post, so i just need time really, i don't want to leave this site at all, or get banned or be a nuisance

to deny ignorance is to look at all aspects of what is presented, NBC could have 1 person who have the power to place ads and the yearly budget to pay sites for the ads

that 1 person could be a UFO fan

and just wants to give the site an easier time?

i could have said that first post, but it wasn't what i was thinking at the time

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
John Lear's departure, IMO, is certainly welcome, nevertheless, the harm caused by the lost of the "your most recent posts" section outweighs any benefit Lear's departure had. Not saying the two are related (they're not), but the loss of the "most recent posts" section was pretty bad.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

I don't see the problem here. If you are so against the way this site is run, you know where the door is. No one is forcing you to be here.

also i never said i was against the way the site was run

never once

i just said my feelings regarding the advertising here and i wasn't even gonna reply to this

but you did "put words in my mouth" by saying that

and i never did

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
Please let us be the intelligent adults that we are and let us speak our minds without fear of fallout. If a thread needs to be roped in or a member needs some heavy mod intervention by all means jump in but keep the thread open so we can at least feel that our thoughts count and we are not just post counts.

The problem is that the balance between allowing civil discussion and proper mod intervention ("roping-in") is very hard to keep, well....balanced. People do have agendas. Perception of "what's really going on here" is going to vary from member to member (including mods). I trust that a member such as yourself would approach it in a mature, open-minded, and civil manner, and I also trust that others won't.

I know that question was put forth to SO, but I thought I'd throw in my two pesos.

Peace

I understand this, the balance between chaos and censor is a fine line and I respect those of you that walk it. I see threads spiral out of control and I and many others on this forum choose to ignore the more ignorant toned posts for the more enlightened ones. I guess I would just like a little faith in the members ability to do the right thing and for those who do not, well isnt that what the little Queen icon is for? As we all know a thread may be very popular today but will die a fast death tomorrow if it loses its hot air, surely these threads do not need to be closed if they will eventually die off. Closing the threads just adds fuel to the fire imo, look at the Lear deal it is now it's very own conspiracy theory.
ATS has taught me to open my mind, think outside of the box and be independent and because of this I get a little bitter when I see closed threads even if I have no interest in those threads. I just feel they should be allowed to ride the wave.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by SEEWHATUDO]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have observed that when it is Winter for most of those posting to a website, the whole site seems to go through S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

On the whole though I am very impressed with the way A.T.S. manages to run. I do observe that new mods seem to need a while to acclimatise to their new position just as we all do when we first started posting here.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I would like to add that I never intended for this to turn into a question and answer thread, I just wanted it available to air my thoughts and for any others who felt the need to air theirs. I do not expect the owners or mods to answer or comment on every thought if they do not feel the need to, beating a dead horse is not the ulimate goal on this one. Just healthy discussion is all...

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Questions for any Mod or SkepticOverlord,

This thread seems like as good a place as any to pose these teo very simple and clear questions.

Will the "my posts" feature be restored?

Will members be able to see other members last 50 or so posts, as before?

I'm going to consider any answer, other than yes or no, to be a deflection of the question, and will retire from from ATS.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

The posts function will be re-coded and return

in the near future...

Posted by SkepticOverlord several days ago: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/19/2008 by Gools]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
What more do you want from a website?

We have staff participation and willingness to engage in dialogue for the good of the board, we have a great looking site with every topic under the sun - and a few beyond, we have management integrity and we have a "code of conduct" that results in better discussion and debate.
As well as this, we have competitions, fiction, debates, elections and a well organised, well run site.

What more could we want?

I feel that if people look past the little niggles, then they'll appreciate what a great site this is - in every respect.

[edit on 19/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I feel that if people look past the little niggles, then they'll appreciate what a great site this is - in every respect.

I can so relate to that Budski

I've been on the net since 1997. In that time I've been around many many forums, message boards, mail lists, blog communites...you name it, even to the extent that in one of my previous ventures on the net between 'the back end of 97 and 2001 I was a chat host for Parascope on AOL.

I can say without any shadow of a doubt - from both sides of the fence as a member and a moderator that, after experiencing all those things, ATS is THE best run forum I've come across online. Period.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect in everyones eyes. And whilst it might appear to be simple to keep a forum and a community the size of ATS running it most certainly isn't.

The excellent contributions from members and mods, and the overall sense of community is what bought me to ATS in the first place and has kept me here. ATS hasn't gone anywhere as far as I can tell from that perspective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join