It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan's ruling party concedes defeat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Pakistan's ruling party concedes defeat

news.yahoo.com

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Pakistan's ruling party conceded defeat Tuesday after opposition parties routed allies of President Pervez Musharraf in parliamentary elections that could threaten the rule of America's close ally in the war on terror.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pakistan is now the central front in America's war on terror

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This could give the opposition the votes needed to impeach Musharraf; a USA ally in the war on terror.

This further inflames an increasingly volatile ME.

It will certainly jepordize the "central front" of the war on terror.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-2-2008 by kerontehe]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kerontehe

hmmmm and you didnt expect this: in pakistan he is not well liked now and the assasination of bhutto nailed the coffin shut:

Geo TV said unofficial tallies from 229 of the 268 National Assembly seats being contested showed Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party with 33 percent and Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League-N party with 27 percent. The pro-Musharraf PML-Q was third with 14 percent

2 of the main opposition parties who`s `leaders` have returned have all but won this - a very quick coilition and musharraf is out

as for your comment:

it won`t inflame anything really as this is just a power shift within pakistan , the consequences will take time to look at which angle to follow

and

jepordize the "central front" of the war on terror

you still believe this resource grab is a war on terror?

hmmm

pakistan is a `hotbed` of support for anti western forces

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Greetings.....I could't help but notice your signature.....Is that latin Vulgate
you were signing off with..??

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Expected yes; but does Musharraf still have influence with the Pakistani military and will they maintain their distance from politics that was purported when Musharraf gave up military control? I thought his days were numbered when he gave up the military that has controlled this country for a majority of it's history.

I think the results could have far-reaching implications for the U.S.-led war on terror, especially Pakistani military operations against al-Qaida and Taliban-style militants in border areas of the northwest. Sharif and others have called for dialogue with the extremists and have criticized military operations in the area because of their impact on civilians.

Afrasiab Khattak, a leading opposition politician from the northwest, said his Awami National Party did not believe "that a military solution will work," adding his group "will never support American forces coming here and operating."

news.yahoo.com...

The only real "resource" they have to grab is their geographical location bordering the Arabian Sea, between India on the east and Iran and Afghanistan on the west and China in the north. They also control the Khyber Pass and Bolan Pass, traditional invasion routes between Central Asia and the Indian Subcontinent.

It puts the USA in the once again awkward position of supporting an ally that is demographically unpopular and is losing his control through a democratic process.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by kerontehe]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It will certainly be interesting to see how the new Pakistani "power shift" responds to this:www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not saying their was an ulterior motive for the timing of a USA military strike; but it will not give a transitional gorvernment much time to take a position.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kerontehe

Musharraf only got in from a coup anyway - so his `support` was on quick sand at best , i can see the military allies moving elsewhere now , if they haven`t done so allready tbh.

oh how quickly people forget why bhutto ran screaming from the country - the corruption probe which was and still is international , teh scandels and crimes - well she`s dead so lets just forget it huh

top topics

join